Solved Weird shading exposure

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by NOCARGO, May 17, 2020.

1. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

Hi, I'm working on a project that involves the the H-Series. After I turned it into a separate mod the body seems to over expose the shadings of the 3D model. I can't seem to find what is causing this, at first I thought the body was deformed because I'm altering the chassis but I don't think this is the case.

Does anyone has an idea ?

Also, there is a separate van.materials file in the 'common' folder but those materials are to be found in the van's main.materials file as well. The van_chmsl material, for instance, is to be found 3 times, once in the van.materials file and twice in the main.materials file.

2. Kueso

Kueso
    Expand Collapse

my mind immediately went to edge split, but from what you are saying its probably not that
    ive had this happen to me before when i made a super tall van mod as a joke but no matter what i did the same issue listed above still happened.
    all that to say this isnt a localized thing to his mod. Maybe it is edge split idk for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TrackpadUser

TrackpadUser
    Expand Collapse

Talking about the weird shading around edges?

You'll have to re-apply an edgesplit modifier or autosmooth in blender.

IIRC it's an issue related to importing in Blender models that were originally exported with 3DSMax, as they manage sharp edges differently.

• Like Like x 1
  4. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

Oh wow it seems you both are talking about exact what's happening here ! As for the last one, @TrackpadUser that is a very helpful answer and I'll check this out right away. I suspected an import error from the start but haven't met this issue on vanilla models before so I thought everything was coming from Blender anyway. So this means that the recent van model could be created in 3DSMax, or maybe converted after creating with Blender like for additional features or so ?

I'll post back as soon results appear, thank you, guys ! :)
    --- Post updated ---
    I've tried autosmooth before applying an edge split modifier but that gave no result so far. The reason why I tried is because I believe the edge split modifier builds extra vertices which are removed when you ever might want to use 'remove doubles' for cleaning up ? As I mainly work as clean as possible anyway I use 'remove doubles' seldom, only for trouble debugging :)

So, applying the ESM works very well so to see, I did only the body for a test and the deformation that took place in the area I marked is completely gone ! I was affraid that maybe I would have to map uv's again but I seem to be lucky.

1.png

Both of your answers DID save me some time, thanks again ! :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice