VW Gol 2005: Tips are Needed

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by FableOfCable, Nov 10, 2013.

1. FableOfCable

FableOfCable
    Expand Collapse

So I read a few tutorials on modeling cars, and have began making a model of a the 2005 Volkswagen Gol for my first car as it is fairly simple. I have been sticking to a roughly uniform size for each polygon. I don't want to continue further until I know i'm doing it correctly. After an hour I have created:

VW Gol 2005 Object View.png
    in edit mode:
    VW Gol 2005 Edit View.png

It may not be much for an hour, but I have been taking my time and paying attention to detail. I don't to continue only to find out that this is incorrect and that I should scrap the entire thing.

​I can post more views of the model if needed.

2. Miura

Miura
    Expand Collapse

Are you using blueprints? The proportions look odd, long and narrow. Good blueprints would help make it accurate. Bad blueprints (with perspective) can do more harm than good.

Build it to scale right from the start so 1 unit is 1 meter. It's harder to scale the car when it's built and separated to parts. Wheelbase is the most important dimension to get right, everything else should be in place if the proportions are good. Put the origin point at ground level in the middle of the wheelbase.

Your polygon structure looks ok to me for now. It's better to keep it quite low-poly first, it can be refined where needed later.

3. FableOfCable

FableOfCable
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the reply, and that is good to know. I have another question I did not consider when making this thread. And that is, what do I do for the underside of the car? And yes,I'm using blueprints.

#3 FableOfCable, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  4. Rizor.org

Rizor.org
    Expand Collapse

Untitled.jpg

I suggest adding a loopcut where I placed the red line, if you're making your model quads, you should avoid using triangles.

for the underside of the car, you should google around and see if you can find any pictures of a frame or the car from underneath, you'll probably have to model that without a blueprint, but once the mesh is done, it shouldn't be too difficult.

I use a addon called Meshlint to find flaws in my modeling, check it out: http://cgcookie.com/blender/2013/07/23/addon-mesh-lint/

5. FableOfCable

FableOfCable
    Expand Collapse

Okay, I shall add the loop cut. Thanks for the reference to the plug-in by the way, as it is very useful.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice