WIP Volvo C30 R (updated 26.9.2015)

Discussion in 'Land' started by AxelWal, Sep 20, 2015.

1. AxelWal

AxelWal
    Expand Collapse

[WIP] Volvo C30 R

My first proper attempt at making a car for beamng. I decided to make Volvo C30 R because I own this particular vehicle, I know the car thoroughly and I have all the reference material that i will ever need.

I'm aiming to make the frame match the real structure of the real car as closely as possible. Only modification is that I will make this car have double-wishbone setup in the front and rear. Normally Volvo C30 has a Mac'phersons structure in the front, and some basic boring independent susp. in the back. I also plan on making some different engine setups, like 1.8l, 2,5l T5, and around 350hp tuned version. And maybe a version that has the original suspension setup.

This project might take some time as I'm studying and working at the same time.. I'm doing this because I want to learn more about inner bodywork, structures and crumble-zones.

As you can see in the attachments I already have done most of the main structure of the car. I also had some time to start working on the front suspension and engine -area.

Next I will probably work on separating the different beams and nodes to groups and tweak their settings depending if the particular part is boron-steel, high/mid-strength steel or just surface plates.

wip1.PNG

Ps: I love this game. :eek:

UPDATE 1:

Today I worked on optimizing the chassis jbeam and matching it better with the real car structure. I also had time to finish the front suspension, I changed the geometry a bit from the original plan. NOT the best possible geometry in the world, but still hopefully better than the original. :rolleyes: (C30 with the R-pack suspension actually has surprisingly good handling as stock) Also mesh is now in game, I still don't know how to texture/materialise it correctly, but atleast it shows up in the game.

I'm still not sure that what is the best way to update this thread. Should I just modify this opening post, or should I post it in replies?

Pictures:
    fchassiswip1.PNG
    fchassiswip2.PNG
    modelinframe.PNG

Update 2:

The car finally has a double-wishbone suspension in front and back, basic working 1.8l engine with the right c30 5-speed ratios and power curve, and wheels with 17' rims jbeamed! Next up modeling the some of parts and making a jbeam for exhaust.

Almost all jbeams are in separate slot so you can change the parts like front and rear wheels, suspensions, and engine seperately when I make them. (Or if you want to make your own parts)

I partly borrowed code from the new SBR for the wheels and engine and modified it heavily to fit this car, so I don't have to waste 5 hours by figuring out and writing the code on my own!
    :eek: I model everything and design the jbeam by myself but I'm not a code guru!

2015-09-24_00001.jpg

After I get all the mechanical parts done, and after I have optimized all the nodes and beams, and after I'm sure the car is properly drivable and feels right, I will start focusing on the "outer" parts of the car, like doors, fenders, bumbers etc.

Update 3:

All node weights in main body are now correct. A-, B- and C-pillar, side and roof beams now have right properties.

I struggled with the boron-steel B-pillar inverting when crashing another car to the side, but managed to modify it so it now acts like it does in real life. Rotates as a solid piece around the roof welding points, and has a compressing structure in the floor. I have understood that in Europe if B-pillar moves more than 10-20cm closer to the persons inside (depending on how far the seat is from the pillar) in a normal side-impact car crash(40-60km/h, 25-35mp/h) the car will fail its crash test, and is not allowed on road use.

This was around 50km/h straight on to the B-pillar:
    beamworkwip.jpg

The body now seems a lot more rigid, but I'm not able to test-drive it because I goofed up the steering somehow and can't get it back into a working state... It just turns wheels all the way to right and rips the whole thing apart :rolleyes:

This progress took about 7-hours of work, and I still haven't touched the floor or front beams... :D

Also thanks everyone who have commented this thread! It really motivates to push on with this project.

Attached Files:

• 2015-09-21_00001.jpg
    • modelingwip.PNG
    • frontsuspwip.PNG
    #1 AxelWal, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
    • Like Like x 7
  2. GameNoobTV

GameNoobTV
    Expand Collapse

Re: Volvo C30 R

Looks Good So Far Keep Up the good Effort and Please Don't Abandon This:D

- - - Updated - - -

and don't use subsurface too much as it can heavily affect your triangle count, thus making the car run worse in the game.

3. AxelWal

AxelWal
    Expand Collapse

Thanks! Is there a shortage of modern Volvos? :D

Also good point. I have been trying to keep the performance in mind when modelling. I'll probably try to separate the inner parts from the rest of the body and tune down the subsurface for parts that aren't always visible. At the moment subsurface is at 3 for the whole thing.

Attached Files:

• Mesh.PNG
  4. black_sn0w_

black_sn0w_
    Expand Collapse

I remember in GT5 I transmission flipped the C30 and it was an absolute monster.
    I have always liked Volvo and I remember when my dad had a V70 and when we went on road trips, I sat in that iconic rear facing trunk seat.
    Am really looking forward to this.

5. tjschel

tjschel
    Expand Collapse

I have a 2004 Volvo V70R and it has the same rear seats! They were so fun when I was little.

I can't wait to have a proper and modern Volvo in the game!

6. AxelWal

AxelWal
    Expand Collapse

Well I hope I can actually make this work :D

7. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Why the double wishbones? Maccys can be done in BeamNG just fine.

8. AxelWal

AxelWal
    Expand Collapse

Because I don't know how to do Macs :confused: I tried searching for tutorials but couldn't find any. I know that you apparently need to use slidenodes for them. I'll probably do both and add an option to change it if i learn how to do those. Also double wishbones are better because the camber doesn't increase nearly as much when the spring compresses. With good geometry it hardly increases at all. So basically i'm gonna try to do like a track version and a normal version.

9. CarSquasher

CarSquasher
    Expand Collapse

Re: Volvo C30 R (updated 24.9.2015)

Progress??

10. GameNoobTV

GameNoobTV
    Expand Collapse

Great Job Man Keep It Up!!!

11. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

The sunburst and pessima both use them at the front.

12. RageBull

RageBull
    Expand Collapse

Oh my, I can't believe somebody is finally making this!!! I have always wanted this car, although you can barely find them used in the US. I love this car so much. Thank you for making this!! P.S. Can you make one that is rally-orientated? With like, a 2 inch lift and soft suspension? If you do, thanks, if you don't, thanks anyways for making the car!!

13. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

241.gif .

14. AxelWal

AxelWal
    Expand Collapse

Huh? I have to check those setups out. I kinda learned how to do the shockpart myself but those may have a better/stronger hub structure.

Thanks for advice!

15. Sir Weenie

Sir Weenie
    Expand Collapse

:D Yaayyy a C30 R x3

16. GameNoobTV

GameNoobTV
    Expand Collapse

Whats the progress here?

17. FL1NKZ

FL1NKZ
    Expand Collapse

Its looks great(Den ser bra ut)

18. Andrew W.

Andrew W.
    Expand Collapse

This is a cool car to possibly have in BeamNG. :) And are you making rough jBeams on this thing?

19. Aren

Aren
    Expand Collapse

I'm waiting it :)
    --- Post updated ---
    i wanted actually to make it thanks if you're working.My advice.Find in internet the real settings of this car for example RPMs,torque,i can say that it will be very nice to work on the base of ibishu covet.Replace in this notepad the turbocharched engine's name (it's on the bottom) make it "Volvo 2.5L Engine"and then just change my settings.And also there is 4WD there just make it permanent (for not changing it in parts menu).Please make an ordinary rear diff (not slip diff) or just make it more open because it is extremely driftish (even with AWD) and work with race suspension.Here is my engine file.Just change settings that I said!Thanks for making this car

Attached Files:

20. IEVR

IEVR
    Expand Collapse

I love the Volvo C30 R Design, I really hope that this works out for you!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice