Upgrade suggestions?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by TheEngineerFromTF2, Aug 1, 2019.

1. TheEngineerFromTF2

TheEngineerFromTF2
    Expand Collapse

I currently am looking for a new CPU as mine is limiting my GPU's performance and reaches 100% in almost every game I own.

My current specs are:
    Intel i5-8400 @ 2.8 GHz (turbo up to 3.8 GHz)
    16GB DDR4 ram
    AMD RX590 8GB
    500GB SSD (boot)
    1TB HDD (games)

I am looking at an AMD Ryzen 3000 CPU of some kind as they seem to be the way to go, and I'm happy to upgrade my motherboard. I'm mainly concerned with a CPU upgrade, so what do you guys suggest I go with?

2. alexelcaza

alexelcaza
    Expand Collapse

you could get an r5 3600
    slightly faster in single core and much faster in multicore

3. Alex [ITA]

Alex [ITA]
    Expand Collapse

How can that CPU be the bottleneck?
    I checked this website (that is not very accurate, but still better than nothing) and your CPU is fine combined with your GPU. Probably the most limiting factor is indeed the GPU as you can see from the website. A modern 6-core processor should not be the bottleneck unless you run 2 2080Tis in SLi. Check again please. If the GPU goes to 100% under load is fine because that means that the CPU can keep up with the GPU and you won't encounter stutter and lag coming from the GPU waiting for the CPU answer (in that case the CPU is bottlenecking the GPU).

4. MrCin

MrCin
    Expand Collapse

Ryzen 7's aren't that expensive, and they should work well with your current GPU.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. A Turbocharged Turbocharger

A Turbocharged Turbocharger
    Expand Collapse

I don't think your cpu is bottlenecking you in gaming, but if you want a new CPU I would suggest an 8600/9700k. Depends on your budget. Ryzen 3000 is generally superior (at least in content creation) but switching to AMD would require that you swap out your motherboard, which is a bit of a chore. If you're up for it and have the budget, I'd suggest a b450/x570 board and a 3700x

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice