1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Update Speculation thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by crazikyle, Jan 26, 2016.

1. YellowRusty

YellowRusty
    Expand Collapse

I can't remember any Beamng.drive updates ever being released on a holiday. I think the closest we've ever gotten to a holiday update was the 0.8.0.1 hotfix released on Dec. 24, 2016.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

The Hopper was released on Easter...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. whatitmeansome

whatitmeansome
    Expand Collapse

Has this thread died?

4. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

Nothing to speculate about.

• Agree Agree x 7
  5. Tsutarja495

Tsutarja495
    Expand Collapse

if things have been quiet in the past few days, then is an update coming soon?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. enjoyinorc6742

enjoyinorc6742
    Expand Collapse

(insert speculation of a Minivan Excavating BlueBuck on WCA here)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

There's been times of silence like this before, especially for the past couple of updates. Maybe they are doing another update with mostly behind the scenes inprovements for what was introduced last update or maybe they have another big thing planned. I have a feeling the vehicle artists have something fairly big planned since Gabe said there are "exciting things in the pipeline" and the others are doing mostly behind the scenes stuff,

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. wearyNATE15

wearyNATE15
    Expand Collapse

Or maybe we are just tired of speculating and gave this thread a break?? (cough)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. DriftinCovet1987

DriftinCovet1987
    Expand Collapse

Honestly, I think it'd be too soon for an update...unless WCA is being finished as we speak. That would probably be the meat of the next update if it's being released within a week or two from now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. YellowRusty

YellowRusty
    Expand Collapse

A lack of developer or forum chatter doesn't mean anything in and of itself. Usually we get pretty good indications of when an update is imminent (or a least a few weeks away) in the form of teaser images and developer posts that contain the word "soon".

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

Normally the devs show some pics then go silent for a month or two and then show another pic and then theyll release the update the same month

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

It's be nice to have a video of some of the new sounds..

• Like Like x 1
  13. YellowRusty

YellowRusty
    Expand Collapse

Did anyone else notice the Rally parts quietly being added to the Miramar's front suspension? There aren't any rally lights, skins, or rear suspension yet, but I feel safe in saying that the Miramar may eventually achieve rally-readiness:
    upload_2017-9-21_15-22-50.png

-Edit-

Apparently I'm not very observant. Rally parts are also available for the rear suspension, and have been since at least April.
    upload_2017-11-3_20-53-32.png

#7173 YellowRusty, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

News to me. I know it is not uncommon for them to forget putting stuff in the change log, but missing a set of rally suspension for the Miramar AND a set of hill climb aero for the Pessima mk2. is peculiar... The idea of a rally Miramar and hill climb Pessima mk2. is odd in itself too...

(I have never understood why we didn't get something inspired more by the mk1 Skyline GT-R. Such a beautiful car... A sporty coupe would make more sense for race/rally/custom. Yes, I know the Miramar came from when BeamNG had a different focus and that's probably why the Miramar is how it is, and the Miramar is one of my favorite official vehicles, but I find it hard to resist going on about my love for the Skyline GT-R mk1/mk2/mk5)

15. YellowRusty

YellowRusty
    Expand Collapse

I'm guessing neither one was put in the changelog because there aren't enough complementary parts for them to make sense (The rally suspension isn't very useful when it can only be applied to the front end of the car, and the aero kit is kind of silly on the Pessima without some sort of engine upgrade...)

The move towards a rally Miramar is actually not without precedent. This 1966 Datsun 410 was the first of many Japanese sedans to take home the trophy at the East African Safari Rally, and would be followed by the famous 1970 510 and 1973 610. All three have been carefully preserved (dents and all) in the Nissan Heritage collection, which you can access here.

In addition to Datsun itself, Brock Racing Enterprises (BRE, better known for their victories in the Trans Am victories) recognized the rally potential of Japanese sedans of the era and entered several vehicles in the gruelling Baja 1000, one of which you can see in my post above. You can learn more about the endeavor here.

While the sporty 240Z was later raced off-road alongside the sedans during the seventies (and often managed to take the lead in the Datsun teams' one-two finishes), the MK1 Skyline appears to have never been raced off-road. In fact, the Skyline appears to have not been entered in any rally events until sometime in the eighties.

You've got me on the 1996 Pessima though. I guess that's another one of the areas Ibishu decided to distinguish itself from the competition.

• Informative Informative x 6
  16. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

Damnit, I just spent a few days making rally parts for the Miramar for my config pack, and now there's the possibility of the devs implementing official ones.

17. whatitmeansome

whatitmeansome
    Expand Collapse

That’s sad

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

I knew about the Dataun 1600, nice to have some more history on the topic though. I was mostly referring to the body style though. The IRL counterpart race cars I can think of are all either smaller or coupes. I assume the 1600 is smaller than the Miramar, it is certainly less boxy. The Miramar track car is nice regardless of this boxy-ness, so maybe it would look alright.

Speaking of Baja, I might actually get on a team that builds a buggy and goes there every year... *excited*

Off topic: I love how this thread took off because someone pointing out that it's not actice

#7178 ManfredE3, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  19. YellowRusty

YellowRusty
    Expand Collapse

The trick here is to draw a distinction between "race car" and "rally car". It seems that coupes were taken to the paved track, while sedans were destined for the rough trail, with the exception of the aforementioned 240Z, which took on both, and the Prince Skyline sedan in the following picture, which began its racing career in 1964.

As for size, I haven't got dimensional figures on the Miramar (could somebody please take a look at the blender files and come up with basic measurements like length, width, and wheelbase?), but I can tell you that, at 2293 pounds, it would be heavier than both the 410 (2017 lbs.) or the 510 (2127 lbs.). It's closer to the Prince Skyline though, which ranged from 2120-2360 lbs., depending on specifications.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. 2004MonteCarlo

2004MonteCarlo
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

I dont know if halloween counts as holiday? but the Barstow update was then

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice