1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

UI freezing / GPU crashing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Slammington, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

I've recently built a new PC, with a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU and a Radeon RX 5700 GPU. I had some problems with BeamNG completely freezing my PC soon after I first installed Windows (the screen would act as if the PC had gone to sleep, and the PC would freeze, no keyboard response etc.), followed by audio cutting out and bluescreens in various situations (gaming or just browsing the web), all of the BSODs somehow related to drivers/disk/memory. After a disk repair these problems went away until I ran BeamNG again, and until it froze my whole PC again. The rest of the symptoms came back after a restart of my frozen PC.
    I ran a system repair today and all seemed fine once more, I decided to run BeamNG in safe mode to see if it would happen again, no problems. I figured some BeamNG files that I had backed up from my previous PC's documents folder were currupting my system entirely, so I cleared the cache, deleted the whole BeamNG folder in the documents folder and reinstalled BeamNG.
    No more crashes, audio problems, or bluescreens, but the UI keeps freezing, and sometimes my GPU seems to crash with BeamNG. These problems don't seem to happen as much in safe mode, though it did crash my GPU in safe mode once aswell. My documents\BeamNG folder was gone and I had reinstalled the game when these issues happened, so I have no idea what's going on.

I should add that my browser window went completely white as I was proof-reading this, and I had to restart Firefox.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Thanks in advance for any replies :)

System specs:
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
    GPU: Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 5700
    Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Leged
    Power Supply: Corsair TX 650M
    RAM: G.SKILL 16GB DDR4 3000MHz CL16
    I am using AMD Software version 19.9.1 and the latest AMD Chipset Drivers (version 1.8.19.0915)

2. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

A small update. I have installed a clean copy of windows and the audio issues appear to start as soon as I install my audio driver. I've got no idea what to do with this PC at this point.

3. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

Yet another update. Some of the other issues (audio and bluescreens) have seemingly been resolved by setting the correct profile for my RAM (it was incorrectly set up in the UEFI), however with a fully clean install the UI still freezes and the game still freezes my PC, with the screen going into "Power saving mode".

Any help at all would be appreciated, seeing as the game is running super smooth apart from these issues.

4. Juander666

Juander666
    Expand Collapse

I have the same setup as you and im having the exact same problem.
    --- Post updated ---
    By same setup i mean ryzen 5 3600 and radeon xt 5700.

5. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

Which issues do you have specifically? I recently updated to Windows 1903, which I was told should improve things, so far so good for system stability.
    I haven't tried BeamNG yet but I suspect the UI issues might persist there.

6. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

I would exclude Ryzen being the issue there, since several of use that without a problem.
    Although we don't have any XT5700 to test, so I don't know about that.

If your whole PC is freezing, I would not exclude this is an hardware or driver related issues. There are bunch of threads showing up on google if you search for "XT 5700 Freezing" already.

By the way, still replicate the issue and give a Support ID, so that we can inspect the logs:
    https://supportid.beamng.com/

#6 Nadeox1, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  7. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

I have installed Windows version 1903, and so far my PC is stable. It might have been only a system compatibility issue (my current drivers are not made for the older versions of Windows it seems), though I haven't tried BeamNG yet as I don't have it (or Steam) installed atm. I'll be sure to send a support ID if the issue occurs again, though.

Thanks for the response :)

8. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

Okay, I've just installed Steam and BeamNG; After just a couple of minutes of being in-game, the UI froze completely. I tabbed out (in fear of my system freezing 100% forcing me to do a hard reboot), and the game simply froze entirely, though it didn't take my whole PC with it this time which isn't so bad. I closed it through task manager, and got an error code along the lines of "00x00....01".
    I should mention I got the same system-wide freeze in CoD MW Beta, exactly as it used to happen in BeamNG, though the UI only freezes in BeamNG. I disabled Enhanced Sync and the issue has not happened again in CoD, though, I managed to play all of yesterday with no issues.

@Nadeox1 I have the following Support ID: 59850
    The PC didn't freeze entirely but the UI (and apparently the whole game, if you tab out) freezing persists.

9. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Nothing particular in your game logs. And seems more of a system issue, now that you mention it happens with other games too (it's not a little detail!)

I'd try disabling all the optional 'features' that are in the AMD Control Panel (the DVR, Enhanced Sync and everything alike). Especially check for WATTMAN, which seems to perform auto-optimization (ie. Overclocks and Underclocks as you play, which may lead to problems)
    As well checking older drivers. Underclocking your card slightly may also help, worth a try.

10. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

The UI issue is the only thing here that stands out to me as likely a game issue, since it hasn't happened in other games. I'll try disabling these settings next time I test BeamNG though, thanks for the help :)

11. Stratovarius

Stratovarius
    Expand Collapse

Slammington, could you try running GPU-Z and keeping an eye on your GPU clock speed while playing BeamNG? I have the exact same issue, only in BeamNG. Turns out the clock speed of my RX 5700 XT spikes way above what it's supposed to (2600 mhz instead of 1925) just before the crash happening.

12. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

I used MSI afterburner to monitor GPU clock speed and a few other factors. The GPU did spike above 1725MHz quite often, sometimes gooing to 2000MHz and slightly above, mostly shortly after loading into the map.
    I disabled all the optional settings for the BeamNG profile in the AMD control panel, the steam overlay, and I played with the FPS limiter (off, 60FPS, and 120FPS). The results were pretty similar, save for slightly less dramatic GPU clock variations with the AMD stuff off. (@Nadeox1 this may be of interest)
    No PC freezes, but the UI froze consistently in all cases, sometimes not even letting me load a map. Attempting to close the game in task manager didn't always work, as sometimes Steam would still say "Running" even though the BeamNG task had been closed, forcing me to restart Steam. (there were always several BeamNG UI tasks in the background that I couldn't close at all, though). Oh yeah, and after I closed the game and started typing this post, the browser ran like crap (slow and choppy typing, scrolling, etc.). A reboot fixed that last issue.

Another thing worthy of note is that the GPU usage was always at 98-99%, while the CPU never went over 12% or so. I'm not sure if this is normal, especially with my setup, but it's worth a mention as to my knowledge this is a particularly CPU intensive game, and it wasn't even fully maxed out (No dynamic reflections, otherwise max settings). I've attached a screenshot showing this, along with the frozen UI (check with the car's speedometer).

Attached Files:

• beamng1.png
  13. Stratovarius

Stratovarius
    Expand Collapse

This is the EXACT same problem that I had. I think I found a solution however, thanks to this video:
    Try turning off Hardware Acceleration for the UI. I think that makes sense with the unclosable BeamNGui tasks. I played for around 2 hours without crashes after turning Hardware Acceleration off, whereas I would crash within 5 minutes before.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

Nice find! Did it stop the UI freezing?
    I'll try this as soon as I get on BeamNG, thanks for the tip ;)

15. Stratovarius

Stratovarius
    Expand Collapse

Yes, everything seems to work fine now with that option off. I could even run AI traffic without any crashes.

16. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

Yup, I have just been playing for an hour or two. No UI issues at all, and the game seems to run smoothly. Thanks for this find, and I'm glad more and more people are running these GPUs, it makes troubleshooting just a bit easier :p

17. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Thanks for the finding.

We think it may be something in the Radeon drivers, not handling properly shared resources (Game and UI), or something weird happening with *experimental* UI Hardware Acceleration and the 5700XT (does not seem to happen for other AMD cards)
    Unfortunately we don't have have an 5700XT hardware to be able to dig into that for the time being. You'll have to settle with disabling UI GPU for now, I'll add a note in our feedback thread.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice