TV as a monitor = doomed idea?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by fufsgfen, Feb 10, 2019.

1. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

So as there is small chance I would get smart TV with HDMI as a free giveaway, I was thinking if I could use it as a 2nd monitor, but there probably is reasons why people rather buy monitors instead of TVs

Slow update rates might be reason and I can't find anything on that for specific model.

My current monitor is Fujitsu 27SL or something like that, ghosting happens a lot and red hue is happening a lot if looked even slight angle, not really best.

So I'm curious if someone has attempted to use TV as a monitor and found it impossible?

2. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

3. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I'm reading many of them have 30ms response times, but don't know if that is gtg like monitors are reporting, which is kinda like fake, my monitor has 2ms gtg but there is really much ghosting as real in practice response time is far greater.

Oeh noes, I'm trying to stay away from Rasberry, like way too much project stuff already :D

Besides I don't have more than one HDMI, GPU has mostly DP connectors which might need adapter or something for HDMI to have TV as second monitor for browsing web and stuff like that if it is too slow for gaming. For modding having 2nd monitor would help a lot though.

4. Jetpackturtle

Jetpackturtle
    Expand Collapse

My dad actually used an giant HDTV as a monitor for his PC and it worked pretty well, so I think you're fine if it's a modern TV.

5. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

I've used a 22' jvc tv as a second monitor to a syncmaster 710n with no latency issues

6. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

You can, I don't recommend it. You'll probably have to deal with overscan, low response times, weird frame rate trickery that causes problems on PCs, scaling, and any number of other potential problems.

7. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

All I can say is that with 39" TV BeamNG looks stunning, textures look so much better, bump maps and shadows are much more realistic looking, instead of odd colored blotches with TV there is depth in textures.

Also it is like having 16.8 million colors instead of 65k colors, my poor old 27" monitor was not the best.

Trees look much better too, texture of dashboards etc has clear 3D surface texture, like more 3D instead of flat 2D, everything has more depth to it, but mostly it is BeamNG where there is huge difference, other games are not gaining so much from some reason. Not sure why normal maps work much better with TV than they did with old monitor, maybe it is capability of displaying more shades of color accurately or something. Like two grays are same in monitor and possible to tell difference in TV.

No real issues, except consumes more power and top of screen is bit too high, need to make new table.

Even view angles are far greater, color does not change when moving head 5cm, there is less ghosting than with old monitor and bevels are thinner, so don't see point of buying monitor on budget, when one can get much better experience with TV. Size is nice for old eyes of mine, 39" 1080p makes text to be readable again.
    --- Post updated ---
    Edge of pavement kinda shows how it is not flat, but shows some shape and with old monitor that was flat as flat can be:
    upload_2019-2-27_23-21-32.png

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice