[Tutorial] Vehicle performance and components modification (Simple)

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by SleepyPickup, Sep 21, 2013.

1. SleepyPickup

SleepyPickup
    Expand Collapse

Hello,

The purpose of this tutorial will be showing you how to make your vehicle of choice faster, handle better, or add something that was not there to begin with (like a front or rear differential).

Categories:

1. Engine improvements

2. Transmission / gearing

3. Suspension / Steering / Traction

4. Adding a differential

5. Making a separate vehicle

6. Adding an extra, selectable part

Intro:

-To begin, I recommend putting the game in windowed mode so you can easily switch between notepad (text editor) and the game. This way after making a change in notepad, you can reset your vehicle (Ctrl + R), and instantly experience your change.

-SAVE AND BACK UP YOUR ORIGINAL FILES

-Modifying even one small line of code or number can change the entire feel of the vehicle, for better or worse. A large part of customizing your car will be trial and error, so learn as you go and understand what everything does. Of course, if you have a background in real-world automotive mechanics or technology you already have a big advantage.

-The very first thing I do to any vehicle, is open up the file named after the vehicle (not the model), and one of the first lines you will see is " "dragCoef":8," I always set this to 0. It makes top speed much easier to obtain.

Ok, so let's get started.

I suppose I should use a vehicle as an example, so how about the Ibishu Covet?

I have the game open in windowed mode, and the engine file right next to it with note pad.

1. Engine improvements

The Covet comes with a 1.5 4 cylinder with an added turbo charger option from the parts menu, or with the turbo sport/rally version. It's not the slowest, but it can be improved.

Here is your first step if you want more power from the engine. Make sure you have the right section (1.5 engine, or 1.5 turbocharged engine), then take a look at the code:

This will be the stock, 1.5 engine

"enginetorque":[
    ["rpm", "torque"]
    [0, 0],
    [500, 65],
    [1000, 93],
    [2000, 132],
    [3000, 143],
    [4000, 148],
    [5000, 153],
    [6000, 144],
    [7000, 122],
    [7500, 91],
    ],
    "engine":{
    "idleRPM":1000,
    "shiftDownRPM":3400,
    "shiftUpRPM":6400,
    "maxRPM":7500,
    "inertia":0.08,
    "friction":16
    "brakingCoefRPS":0.15
    "burnEfficiency":0.5
    "throttleSensitivity":1.2

Now, let's play with the torque per rpm section:

[0, 0],
    [500, 150],
    [1000, 250],
    [2000, 350],
    [3000, 450],
    [4000, 550],
    [5000, 650],
    [6000, 750],
    [7000, 850],
    [8000, 750],
    [9000, 700],
    [10000, 700],
    ],
    "shiftDownRPM":3400,
    "shiftUpRPM":6400,
    "maxRPM":10000,
    "inertia":0.05,
    "friction":12
    "brakingCoefRPS":0.15
    "burnEfficiency":1.0
    "throttleSensitivity":1.2

Notice I increased the redline to 10k, and gave each section a significant increase, I also set the burn efficiency to 1.0.

This bumps up the horsepower a lot, and you will find you're already redlining in 5th, but not going anywhere very quickly. That's because the transmission /clutch can't keep up.

This brings us to the next section:

2. Transmission / gearing

Let's look at the stock 4 speed auto:

"name":"Ibishu Covet 4-Speed Automatic Transmission",
    }
    "transmissionType":"automatic",
    "lowShiftDownRPM":1400,
    "lowShiftUpRPM":3600,
    "highShiftDownRPM":3300,
    "highShiftUpRPM":6000,
    // -1, 0 (neutral), 1, etc
    "gears":[-2.9, 0, 2.72, 1.55, 1.05, 0.72]
    "clutchDuration":0.25
    "viscousCoupling":3.5
    "lockingTorqueLimit":150
    "enableLocking":true

With a higher redline and a lot more power, there are a couple sections you want to look at. Shift points, locking limit, and gear ratios.

Here's what I changed just now (In red):

"transmissionType":"automatic",
    "lowShiftDownRPM": 7300 ,
    "lowShiftUpRPM": 9800 ,
    "highShiftDownRPM": 7300 ,
    "highShiftUpRPM": 9800 ,
    // -1, 0 (neutral), 1, etc
    "gears":[-2.9, 0, 1.0, 0.80, 0.65, 0.50, 0.40, 0.30 ]
    "clutchDuration": 0.05
    "viscousCoupling": 4.0
    "lockingTorqueLimit": 850
    "enableLocking":true

Ok, so there's a lot to look at, let's explain.

Everything I've changed is in red. First we have shift points, you want the engine to shift up near the redline (10k) but not at it, and shift down relatively close to the middle.

Next is coupling and torque limit. Coupling was 3.5, so I bumped it up a little, and torque limit acts like a clutch so it should be bumped up as well or the power will never get to the wheels.

Next is gears. I added 2 just for kicks, and made gears 1-4 quite lower, because of the power increase. More power means you can use lower gear ratios and achieve higher speed much quicker.

-I have the game open as I make this, right now this covet has a top speed of 250MPH before it starts to veer side to side. Quite the improvement from a slow 120hp, 100mph top speed. The 0-60MPH is also much quicker, 4.90 seconds. (Still stock tires)

So, you can spend a lot of time on engine/transmission alone, but I'll say for now 200MPH+ is good enough for now so let's move on.

3. Suspension / Steering / Traction

There's a lot you can change in this department, and I don't really want to cover it all because it will take me way too long..and I'm hungry lol.

The file in question is called "hatch_suspension_F"

Lets look at the covet suspension, front sport: (important parts will be in red)

"hatch_coilover_F_sport": {
    "information":{
    "authors":"gabester",
    "name":"Ibishu Covet Sport Front Coilovers",
    }
    "slotType" : "hatch_coilover_F",
    "flexbodies": [
    ["mesh", "[group]:", "nonFlexMaterials"],
    ["hatch_coilover_F", ["hatch_shockbottom_F","hatch_shocktop_F"]],
    ],
    "beams": [
    ["id1:", "id2:"],
    //front shocks
    {"beamPrecompression":1.04, "beamType":"|BOUNDED", "beamLongBound":0.0, "beamShortBound":0.18},
    {"beamSpring":140000,"beamDeform":52000,"beamStrength":84000},
    {"beamDamp":3400},
    {"beamLimitSpring":601000,"beamLimitDamp":1600},
    ["fh1r","fs1r",{"beamDampRebound":4300}],
    ["fh1l","fs1l",{"beamDampRebound":4300}],
    {"beamPrecompression":1, "beamType":"|NORMAL", "beamLongBound":1.0, "beamShortBound":1.0},

PreComp is ride height, Spring is stiffness, damp is dampening.

If you lower ride height, you might want to increase the spring rate, and if you do that it will actually ride higher because of the added stiffness. So again you will have to lower ride height, they go hand in hand really.

As you make it stiffer, you may need to increase the dampening to compensate for the bounce effect. Remember, trial and error. Experiment!

Lets look at the steering section:

{"beamPrecompression":1.0, "beamType":"|NORMAL", "beamLongBound":1, "beamShortBound":1},
    {"beamSpring":22001000,"beamDamp":50,"beamDeform":90000,"beamStrength":110000},
    ["fh3r","s1r",{"factor":-0.26,"steeringWheelLock":270}],
    ["fh3l","s1l",{"factor":0.26,"steeringWheelLock":270}],

The red beamstrength is tie-rod strength, normally I make it all 9's and cross my fingers. The section 'factor":0.26', deterimns how far the wheels turn, go slowly here, too much and your tie-rods will go bye-bye. Try maybe... instead of 0.26, try 0.3

Ok, so traction. Lets look at the wheels:

You want to look at: "hatch_wheels_F"

Track down the tire section for the wheel you want. Like the default wheel or 'rally'

{"frictionCoef":1.7},

//
    {"pressurePSI":30},
    {"maxPressurePSI":1400},
    {"reinforcementPressurePSI":33},

Friction will be traction, up the number slowly, it doesn't take much. Try...2.0 maybe. Because of rollover problems with stiff suspension, or high traction, I set the PSI high, like 60. So the tire doesn't roll over on itself when cornering. (pretty much like real life on a large sidewall tire)

That's pretty much it for tires. Remember, trial and error. When you increase traction, you will find a lot of things change, you will have to visit suspension again.

4. Adding a differential

Ok, the Covet is FWD, this is boring. You probably want it to be AWD, so let's do that.

Sometimes the differential code is in the rear suspension file, or front suspension. Sometimes the engine file, in the case of the Covet, it is in the engine file.

Track down where the front differential is specified:

}
    "hatch_differential_F_LSD": {
    "name":"Ibishu Covet Limited Slip Front Differential",
    }
    "slotType" : "hatch_differential_F",
    "differentials": [
    ["wheelName1", "wheelName2", "type", "state", "closedTorque", "engineTorqueCoef"],
    ["FL","FR", "lsd", "closed", 120, 1]
    ],
    "differential":4.37,
    "axleFriction":10
    },

This is the entire code for the front diff, lsd version. How do you add one for the rear? Copy it, place it under the front code and rename the important parts!

Like so:

}
    "hatch_differential_ R _LSD": {
    "name":"Ibishu Covet Limited Slip Rear Differential",
    }
    "slotType" : "hatch_differential_ R ",
    ["wheelName1", "wheelName2", "type", "state", "closedTorque", "engineTorqueCoef"],
    [" RL","RR", "lsd", "clo sed", 120, 1]
    ],
    "differential":4.37,
    "axleFriction":10
    },

One more thing, see the transmission code above the diff code? Find this:

"slotType" : "hatch_transmission",
    "slots": [
    ["qtype", "default", "description"]
    ["hatch_differential_F","hatch_differential_F", "Ibishu Covet Front Differential"],

See the front diff code? Simply add a rear diff!

["hatch_differential_F","hatch_differential_F", "Ibishu Covet Front Differential"],
    ["hatch_differential_R","hatch_differential_R", "Ibishu Covet Rear Differential"],

There you go, now whatever transmission you add that extra rear diff to, it will show up in the part options menu.

5. Making your vehicle separate

So this Covet for example, lets say you want to make it separate from the rest so every time you update you don't lose your hard work.

1. Rename the folder, and the .DAE file to the same thing. Like "awesome hatch"

2. The file inside the folder, "name": Instead of %vehicleName = "Ibishu Covet"; Try, %vehicleName = "Ibishu Covet Custom";

3. Test it, it should be a separate vehicle now.

6. Adding an extra part, selectable in the drop down parts menu

This is, for the most part, fairly easy. Most of the time you can simply copy the entire part and make a clone under it, then just rename it.

For example, the sport coilovers on the D-Series.

Let's look at the code:

"pickup_coilover_IFS_Sport": {
    "name":"Gavril D-Series IFS Super Sport Coilovers",
    }

**BLAH BLAH BLAH, irrelevant suspension code**
    ],
    }

I copied the entire "Sport" coilover from " to }, and only changed the name, you can see the change in red. Now, you can select your 'extra' coilover in the menu.

That's easy. But what if you want the truck to have an extra engine or selectable turbo? Let's cover that.

Example, pickup_engine_v8:

You can cheat and copy the entire "Stage 1 Turbocharger" code from the hatch file, (Ibishu Covet), then change whatever says 'hatch'.

You can place this section of code at the very bottom of the file, before the last }

"pickup_turbo_stage1": {
    "name":"Gavril D-series Stage 1 Turbocharger",
    }
    "slotType" : "pickup_turbo",
    //["hatch_turbo", ["hatch_turbo"]],
    ],
    "enginetorque":[
    ["rpm", "torque"]
    [0, 0],
    [500, 290],
    [1000, 370],
    [2000, 500],
    [3000, 560],
    [4000, 530],
    [5000, 470],
    [6000, 460],
    ],
    "shiftDownRPM":3700,
    "shiftUpRPM":5900,
    "maxRPM":6000,
    },
    }

Changed areas in red, and added just a little extra power.

Remember, there has to be an extra slot!

You will find the slots near the top;

["type", "default","description"]
    ["pickup_exhaust_v8","pickup_exhaust_v8","Gavril D-Series V8 Exhaust"],
    ["pickup_transmission","pickup_transmission_A","Gavril D-Series Transmission"],
    ["pickup_turbo","", "Gavril D-Series Turbocharger"],

If done right, you will now have an extra slot in your parts menu, called 'Turbocharger'.

Now what about an entire engine? Even easier.

Copy the entire V8 file, and rename it whatever you want (pickup_engine_v48), now go inside and look at the top code:

"pickup_engine_v48": {
    "name":"Gavril D-Series 22.9L Whoa Engine",
    }
    "slotType" : "pickup_engine",
    "scalebeamSpring":0.84,
    "scalebeamDamp":1.3,
    "scalebeamDeform":1.5,
    "scalebeamStrength":1.78,
    ["pickup_engine_v48", ["pickup_engine"]],
    ["pickup_header_v8", ["pickup_engine","pickup_framecab"]],
    ["pickup_radtube_v8", ["pickup_engine","pickup_framefront", "pickup_cab", "pickup_frontmeat"]],
    ],

Changed areas in red. Very little needs to done to make an extra engine, if done right, you will see in the engines slot on the menu.

That should cover it if you want to add something to anything. Some easy tips:

-Just make a copy and slap it underneath the original. Figuring out what you need to re-name is the only extra step
    -Does it need an extra slot? Make it! Copy the extra slot from something else and change the proper areas.

Ok, well I was very vague and left some stuff out, but if you absolutely don't know anything, this should hopefully teach you how to start messing with your own files.

If there's any huge errors, or something that doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll fix it. This took a few hours to make and I'm very hungry, so I'll be back to edit this later.

Here's what this Covet looks like now:

(imported from here)

0-60MPH is much better than stock, and 240MPH is pretty fun.

#1 SleepyPickup, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
    • Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. LSDMT420

LSDMT420
    Expand Collapse

Awesome, I was really hoping for something like this! I figured out how to increase the torque on engines, but I had no clue on what to change in the transmission, or how to make a car AWD. Thank you so much for making this tutorial!

Edit- One question, what do you need to change to make your modified part into its own separate part (something like "1.5 engine V2" for example, instead of overwriting the original engine specs"? Also how do you make your upgraded vehicle into its own selectable car? Like your Pickup and Moonhawk are.

#2 LSDMT420, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  3. SleepyPickup

SleepyPickup
    Expand Collapse

My pleasure! (Don't forget to hit that 'thanks' button :D)

I left out a lot, and there's a bunch of parts that could be more clear so it's a [WIP] haha.

But yeah, the more you mess with the games code, the easier it is to read and pick stuff out.

Personally, I've been editing PC game code since...Driver (1999) or even Age of Empires (1997). Haha oh yeah, Hot Wheels-Stunt Track Driver (1998), I made all my cars black with green flames lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Separate engine... I've never done it so I would have to guess. Copy the entire engine code, nodes and all. Then rename the first impotant parts.

For example:

"super_engine": {
    "name":"Civetta Bolide Rally Engine",

"super_engine_g": {
    "name":"Civetta Bolide Gymkhana Engine",

Separate car:

Rename the folder, for example from moonhawk to 'Top speed moonhawk'

Then rename the .DAE file 'moonhawk' to "top speed moonhawk' so it matches the folder name.

• Like Like x 1
  4. LSDMT420

LSDMT420
    Expand Collapse

I've done a bit of messing with game code as well but have very little experience. I really wanted to try out an AWD version of the Covet, so I was getting ready to jump in and start changing stuff then check to see what happens. This little guide probably just saved me from a headache and a couple hours of frustration haha.

5. KamikazeF0X

KamikazeF0X
    Expand Collapse

This is a stupid question but can we put the D15 Off Road Wheels on the Covet ? And if it is possible how to make that ?

6. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

question, for the grand marshal, i'd like to make it awd, however, the differential, is in the rear suspension file, would i still just copy and paste in the same file, or would i have to add the front differential to the front suspension file?

- - - Updated - - -

also, im having a bit of trouble with the adding it as a second car part, i renamed the .dae and the folder to AWD fullsize, game only shows the stock defualt one

7. metalmuncher

metalmuncher
    Expand Collapse

This is wrong. That value only sets how far the in game animated steering wheel turns center-to-lock. This affects the steering rate on pads and keyboards, higher makes it slower. Factor is the value that changes how far the beams extend/shorten. If it works like RoR's hydros did then its a proportion of the original length.

8. SleepyPickup

SleepyPickup
    Expand Collapse

Ah , good question. I'm trying to put the off-road wheels onto the Moonhawk. Moosedicks informed me that this has to be done with a 3d model editor, like Blender or 3dsmax. The wheels seem to be connected to the .DAE or something.

Another good question, when I chose the covet as an example, I knew I might have to cover this.

Ok, in the rear suspension file, there are slots near the top;

Delete this line:
    ["fullsize_differential_R","fullsize_differential_R", "Gavril Grand Marshal Rear Differential"],
    And cut the rear diff section from the same file, near the bottom.

Now in the engine file, find the 6-speed section, and the slots for it:

The slots need to be:
    "slotType" : "fullsize_transmission",
    ["type", "default", "description"]
    ["fullsize_differential_R","fullsize_differential_R", "Gavril Grand Marshal Rear Differential"],
    ["fullsize_differential_F","fullsize_differential_F", "Gavril Grand Marshal Front Differential"],
    ],

Then near the bottom, you can add in the new front diff:

"fullsize_differential_F_LSD": {
    "name":"Gavril Grand Marshal Limited Slip Front Differential",
    }
    [" F L","FR", "lsd", "clos ed", 150, 1]
    ],
    "differential":3.27,
    "axleFriction":12
    },
    "slotType" : "fullsize_differential_F",
    }

And then the rear you cut from the rear suspension file, right under it.

Don't forget to get the ending brackets and whatnot all where they should.

AS for renaming it, I forgot one thing. The file 'Name', needs to changed (duh). For example I just tested it right now, I renamed the folder and the .dae 'fullest fullsize', then in the name file I changed it to 'Gavril Grandest Marshall'

Bingo, separate vehicle.

Ok, that makes a ton of sense, and explains a lot. I would always up the factor from like .11 to .32, then the wheels would turn further. Thank you very much Metalmunch, I will correct this.

#8 SleepyPickup, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  9. FastestClassic

FastestClassic
    Expand Collapse

Wow, thank you so much for this tutorial! The Covet is much more fun to drive now ;) (with AWD)

#9 FastestClassic, Sep 22, 2013
  10. SleepyPickup

SleepyPickup
    Expand Collapse

100% my pleasure, glad I can contribute to the community.

So does that mean the bendy steering has been fixed on the Marshall? I haven't tried it in like a month...hmm...

11. FastestClassic

FastestClassic
    Expand Collapse

Wait, scratch that, I only fixed the Covet... I was trying the Marshall, but something weird happened and it doesn't drive anymore. Gonna re-update my game and try again.

Actually, while I do that: how would I make a front differential for the Grand Marshall? It has the rear differential in the "fullsize_suspention_R" file, so I don't get how to make it a separate part like on the covet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SleepyPickup

SleepyPickup
    Expand Collapse

Let's see, post number 8 I think. I was replying to Logoster about that very question.

Might not be clear enough though, let me know.

13. FastestClassic

FastestClassic
    Expand Collapse

Oh, sorry, didn't see that. :confused:

I don't understand it, though... could you maybe make a video tutorial?

14. SleepyPickup

SleepyPickup
    Expand Collapse

Sure, give me 30 mins to record and upload to youtube.

- - - Updated - - -

Here you go:

I was rushed a little, so sorry if it's fast. Fraps video sizes can get pretty large so I wanted to keep it under 3 gigs.

Of course after I uploaded it I realize I put an extra L in marshal on the title screen....

#14 SleepyPickup, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  15. LSDMT420

LSDMT420
    Expand Collapse

Every car I have now has AWD haha, I never would have guessed it would be this easy, just as a quick copy/paste and changing a few letters. This might be a good thing for the dev's to do with all of the vehicles by default, just have a rear and front diff option on every car. I got the Grand Marshal up to about 1000hp for now and it handles pretty well, I'm going to start messing with the suspension and wheels when I get some more time.

One thing I noticed, just to put it out there. For the cars that have the rear diff in the R suspension jbeam, you could also just add a front diff in the F suspension jbeam. This way might be best if you want to use several different engine files and not have to edit each one to get AWD, I think that's how it would work anyway..

Have you had a chance to try this yet? I would love a lifted offroad version of the Moonhawk or the Marshal, just because its silly haha.

#15 LSDMT420, Sep 22, 2013
  16. SleepyPickup

SleepyPickup
    Expand Collapse

Very true, the way I did it is definitely not the best way. There's a ton of different ways to do it.

The way I see it, every american car that has a frame and a solid rear axle, is already a truck with a car body, lol.

I put Blender on my desktop but I have no idea how to use it and to be honest I don't really feel like figuring it out. I would rather someone that has oodles of experiance with it do it for me, haha.

I'm a notepad junkie.

#16 SleepyPickup, Sep 22, 2013
  17. FastestClassic

FastestClassic
    Expand Collapse

Oh, I forgot to mention: you should get Notepad++, it's geared more towards programming stuff (like this) and can have multiple things open at once in the same window (so you don't have to switch back and forth like in the video) :D

18. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

WHOO, :D thanks, best, tutorial, ever, i managed to use the 1040p engine, and get to 209mph in the grand marshal WITHOUT, spinning out, lol:

screenshot_00031.png

(ignore the 0-60, i was in manual for best speed up, ill do a real 0-60 in a few moments, ok, best i could do, was 0-60 in about 3 secs, im not the best driver in the world, lol)

#18 logoster, Sep 22, 2013
  19. SleepyPickup

SleepyPickup
    Expand Collapse

Just downloaded it, it's awesome, you're awesome, thank you. :p

Well lets not go crazy now..it's not the best ever haha. But yeah, glad I could help.

Yes, the Grand Marshal can get pretty silly and fun. I'm enjoying my stupid low awd 300mph version.

20. SeenCreaTive

SeenCreaTive
    Expand Collapse

Anyway of making a whole new separate engine option for the cars? Ive done it with the Van and the D-series, but they have separate files for each engine. Where as the Moonhawk or Covet engine's are all in a single file. I tried a copy paste of the Covet's engine to the section below the first engine, so it looks identical in the way its coded to the Moonhawk's files, but it just breaks the car and doesn't load.

Another thing, I can't make it it's own car, it also just breaks. Actually crashes the game when ever I try to load it. Even if it's with un-modded fies, not the biggest deal, as with the pick-up and the van I just have it set up as all different options.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice