(Tutorial) How to improve your automation cars with file editing

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by TheCrySick, Jun 22, 2020.

1. TheCrySick

TheCrySick
    Expand Collapse

Hi everyone! ^^

I have made a tutorial to share with you everything I have learned to improve my cars! I will update this tutorial each time I learn something new, and if you want to help me and to share your experience, feel free to do it! :)

Summary:
    • Preparation
    1. Creation of a car pack
    2. Add a new mechanical part to your car
    3. Use the sound of an engine from a BeamNG base car
    4. Tune the engine sound volume
    5. Add configurations to your mod
    6. Add suspension sounds to your car
    7. Add an electric engine with a realistic torque curve to your car
    8. Tunable gearbox’s ratios and transmission’s final drive ratio
    9. Tunable Aerodynamics (video made by where's fillman86)
    10. Add gearwhine to manual and sequential gearboxes
    11. Add custom intakes to your engine
    • When the modifications are done
    • Off-topic 1: Torque curve edition
    • Off-topic 2: How to build a trike (video made by where's fillman86)
    Preparation:
    a. I highly recommend you to install ‘’Peazip’’. It works perfectly, and it’s completely free. You can download it here: https://www.peazip.org/
    b. To help the images comprehension, I have a made a simple legend. It will help you find yourself on the pictures, and to help you understand what you have to do. Well, I hope so at least. The ‘’Part ID’’ is the code that BeamNG will use to identify the part, this ID have to be unique for each part. The ‘’Part name’’ is the name the part will appear under in BeamNG parts selector.

c. The .JBEAM files can simply be open with the Windows notepad.
    d. You have to unzip the file of the car you want to edit. To do that, you just have to go in the folder where you can find all your automation exported cars, and to do just like on the following picture. It’s important to unzip your car in a new folder, it will save you time in additions to make manipulations a lot easier if you work on several cars at the same time.

e. Once you have unzipped your car, open your new folder. You should see something like this:

f. The .JBEAM files can be found in the ‘’vehicles’’ file, and then in the ‘’name_of_your_car’’ file.

1) Creation of a car pack
    For example, I want to create a car pack which will contain the standard variant of my Initiale Mirage, and its GTF variant. You can put as many cars as you want in the pack with this method.
    a. Unzip the cars you want to add in your cars.
    b. Open the main folder of each car:

c. Choose which car will be used as a base for the pack. I will name it ‘’Car 1’’ on the following pictures.
    d. Select the ‘’art’’ folder and the ‘’vehicles’’ folders of the other cars you want to add in the pack. (‘’Car 2’’ on the pictures)
    e. Copy those 2 folders in the main folder of ‘’Car 1’’. They should merge together.
    f. If you want to be sure that all the cars are now in the pack, you can open the ‘’vehicles’’ folder of ‘’Car 1’’. You should see a folder for each of the cars added to the pack:

2) Add a new mechanical part to your car
    For example, I'm working on a pick-up truck. Currently, it uses a 9-speed automatic transmission, and I would like to install on it a 5-speed automatic gearbox with which I could block the differentials in BeamNG. However, the method is the same for all parts.
    a. Create a car with the part you want to add in Automation: for example, I create a "parts" variant of my pickup (it must have a different name from your original car!), on which I install the gearbox of my choice.
    b. Exports this "parts" variant in BeamNG.
    c. Unzip your "parts" car in the same way as your original car.
    d. Open the .JBEAM file corresponding to the engine for both cars:

e. What you need to see then:

f. In both files, you have to find the section corresponding to the part of your interest:

g. You must change the ID of the new part only, as well as the name of the two parts (refer to the legend at the beginning of this tutorial), as you can see on this picture:

h. Select and copy your entire part of interest. It starts with its ID, and ends just before the ID of the following part, as this image shows:

i. Stick your new part just after the equivalent part in your original file, just before the ID of the next part:

j. PARTICULAR CASE: Some gearboxes are made up of two parts, the gearbox itself, and a transfer case (‘'transfercase'’). If this is the case, then you need to add this part to your original file as well, if possible just after the gearbox you just added:

k. Save your original file and close it. You don’t have to save your parts file.
    l. PARTICULAR CASE: If your new part is an engine, you have to merge the ''art'' folder of your part car with the on of your original car​

3) Use the sound of an engine from a BeamNG base car
    I will stay on the same pickup for this example, I wish it had the sound of the V8 diesel of the Gavril D-series. However, the logic is the same for all sounds.
    a. Open the file. JBEAM matching your car's engine:

b. Search for the .ZIP files of the BeamNG default Vehicles:

c. Search for the file of the car with the engine sound you are interested in (''pickup'' as part of the D-series)
    d. Open it without unziping it using Peazip. For this, you just have to make a double click on the .ZIP file.
    e. Search for the file. JBEAM corresponding to the engine:

f. PARTICULAR CASE: as you can see, the .JBEAM files of the D-series engines are not in the .ZIP file of the D-series. This is one thing that happens for a number of vehicles such as modern ETKs. Then, you have to look for the .ZIP file named ‘’common’’ among the vehicle files. The .JBEAM files of engines shared by several vehicles are found in this .ZIP file:

g. Open the .JBEAM file of the engine you are interested in:

h. In both .JBEAM files, and more precisely in the section corresponding to the engines, look for the subcategory ‘’soundConfig’’:

i. Selects the entire subcategory of the engine with the sound you're interested in as in the image, then replaces the ‘’soundConfigExhaust’’ subcategory of the engine with your sound of interest, then use it to replace the ‘’soundConfig’’ subcategory of your engine:

j. Save your original file and close it.​

4) Tune the engine sound volume
    For example, the V12 engine of my Initiale Vaucluse is an ear destroyer, so I want to lower the volume of this engine.
    a. Open the .JBEAM file matching your car's engine and look for the subcategory ‘’soundConfig’’:

b. Follow this link, you should see this:

c. Enter the values the subcategory ‘’soundConfig’’ of your engine in the ‘’Old values’’ table. PLEASE NOTE, THIS IS A FRENCH DOCUMENT, SO YOU HAVE TO USE A COMMA IN THE PLACE OF A DOT

d. Modify the volume change coefficient (less than 100% = lower volume / more than 100% = higher volume):

e. Edit subcategory ‘’soundConfig’’ of your engine with the new values:

5) Add configurations to your mod
    First, your car needs to have various parts or tuning options available in the part selector of BeamNG.
    You'll find a tutorial here: https://wiki.beamng.com/Making_A_Custom_Configuration
    If you don’t want to bother with the info.json file, know that they are not essential, it will work without them.

6) Add suspension sounds to your car
    a. Choose a default car of BeamNG, with the same kind of suspension as your car
    b. Search for the file of the car of your interest
    c. Open it without decompressing it using Peazip. For this, you just have to make a double click on the.zip file.
    d. Search for the .JBEAM file corresponding to the front or rear suspension (named ‘’sound file’’ on the pictures), and open it with the .JBEAM file of the front suspension of your car:

e. In the sound file, use the shortcut ’’Ctrl+f’’ to open the search window, and then, research /event:>Vehicle>Suspension/:
    and
    f. In the original file of your front suspension, use the shortcut ’’Ctrl+f’’ to open the search windows, and then, research /"fs1r"{"precompressionRange"/:
    and
    g. In the sound file, select and copy this part, be careful to take only what you need, nothing more, and nothing less:

h. Add this part in the original file of your front suspension, just like on this picture:

i. Save your original file and close it.
    j. Open the .JBEAM file of the rear suspension of your car use the shortcut ’’Ctrl+f’’ to open the search window, and then, research /"rs1r"{"precompressionRange"/:
    and
    k. In the sound file, select and copy this part, be careful to take only what you need, nothing more, and nothing less:

l. Add this part in the original file of your rear suspension, just like on this picture:

7) Add an electric engine with a realistic torque curve to your car
    You can find an alternative text tutorial here.
    You can find an alternative video tutorial here.

A 800hp electric engine I have made using this method in action:

For example, I want to add a 500hp electric engine on my Initiale Vaucluse.
    a. Open this Google Sheet doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kAbJ6vnqJv8AlazNdREqDwWNhQ-Sx9LR1NajPoZ4YcA/edit?usp=sharing
    b. You should see this:

c. Choose the power you want to have for your engine:

d. Download this .JBEAM file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1npSCnf70buHsaGxKAcZMfoAXhIbyq8yW/view?usp=sharing
    e. Open it, you should see something like this:

f. Enter the new torque values:

g. Change the name of the engine:

h. Now, to add this engine to your car, follow the tutorial “Add a new mechanical part to your car”.
    i. In the same .JBEAM file, under the electric engine, you will find 2 different CVT gearboxes, a RWD variant and an AWD variant, and 2 race 2-speed gearboxes, a RWD variant and an AWD variant
    j. Choose the gearbox you want (or the 2 if you want :p), and add it to your car. Follow the tutorial “Add a new mechanical part to your car”.​

8) Tunable gearbox’s ratios and transmission’s final drive ratio
    For this example, I will work on a car with a 6-speed gearbox
    a. Open the engine.JBEAM file of your car
    b. Locate the transmission section, you can use the ‘’ctrl+F’’ shortcut to help you:

c. Copy this:
    "variables": [
    ["name", "type", "unit", "category", "default", "min", "max", "title", "description"]
    ["$g1", "range", "ratio", "Gearbox", X, 0.5, 5.0, "1st gear", "1st gear ratio"]
    ["$g2", "range", "ratio", "Gearbox", X, 0.5, 5.0, "2nd gear", "2nd gear ratio"]
    ["$g3", "range", "ratio", "Gearbox", X, 0.5, 5.0, "3rd gear", "3rd gear ratio"]
    ["$g4", "range", "ratio", "Gearbox", X, 0.5, 5.0, "4th gear", "4th gear ratio"]
    ["$g5", "range", "ratio", "Gearbox", X, 0.5, 5.0, "5th gear", "5th gear ratio"]
    ["$g6", "range", "ratio", "Gearbox", X, 0.5, 5.0, "6th gear", "6th gear ratio"]
    ["$g7", "range", "ratio", "Gearbox", X, 0.5, 5.0, "7th gear", "7th gear ratio"]
    ["$fd", "range", "ratio", "Gearbox", Y, 2.0, 8.0, "Final drive", "Final drive ratio"]
    ],
    d. Add it to your JBEAM just like on this picture:

e. If your car uses a 6-speed gearbox, remove the variable corresponding to the 7th gear, if your car uses a 5-speed gearbox, delete the variables corresponding to the 7th and 6th gears… the car used for this example is equipped with a 6-speed gearbox
    f. Locate the stock ratios of your gearbox:

g. Copy the first ration, use it to replace the X in the variable corresponding to the 1st gear:

h. Do the same thing for all the gears.
    i. Copy the following line. If your car uses a 6-speed gearbox, copy from "$g1" to "$g6". If your car uses a 5-speed gearbox, copy from "$g1" to "$g5"
    "$g1", "$g2", "$g3", "$g4", "$g5", "$g6", "$g7"
    j. Use it to replace the stock ratios of your gearbox:

k. Look for the stock final drive ratio of your transmission. If your car is RWD, use the ‘’ctrl+F’’ shortcut to search ‘’rearDiff’’. If your car is FWD, use the ‘’ctrl+F’’ shortcut to search ‘’frontDiff’’. If your car is AWD/4WD, use the ‘’ctrl+F’’ shortcut to search ‘’rearDiff’’ or ‘’frontDiff’’. You will find the final drive ratio on the same line that the researched text:

l. Copy the final drive ratio, and use it to replace the Y in the variable corresponding to the final drive:

m. Copy this: "$fd"
    n. Use it to replace the stock final drive ratio:

o. If your car is AWD/4WD, you need to replace the final drive ratio in the 2 differentials
    p. Follow the part ‘’When the modifications are done’’ of this tutorial
    q. In BeamNG, in the tuning menu of your car, you can now tune each ratios:

r. If you want to create a configuration with custom ratios, edit them, and follow the part ‘’Add configurations to your mod’’ of this tutorial​

9) Tunable Aerodynamics (video made by where's fillman86)
    A big thanks to the Youtuber where's fillman86 who find a way to make the aerodynamics settings adjustable! :)

The tutorial start at 7:50

You will need those lines of code:
    "variables": [
    ["name", "type", "unit", "category", "default", "min", "max", "title", "description"],
    ["$spoiler_angle_F", "range", "Downforce", "EFT_WING0", 0, -2, 2, "Front Wing Downforce", "Downforce amount of the rear wing", {"stepDis":0.01}],
    ["$spoiler_angle_R", "range", "Downforce", "EFT_WING0", 0, -2, 2, "Rear Wing Downforce", "Downforce amount of the rear wing", {"stepDis":0.01}],
    ],

"$=$spoiler_angle_F+"
    "$=$spoiler_angle_R+"

10) Add gearwhine to manual and sequential gearboxes
    Please note, this tutorial doesn't work for Automatic and Dualclutch gearboxes.
    a. Open the file. JBEAM matching your car's engine:

b. You should see something like this:

c. Copy this:
    • "gearbox": {
    d. Use the Crtl+f shortcut to research it:

e. Copy this:
    • "gearWhineCoefsInput": [0.80, 0.00, 0.65, 0.60, 0.50, 0.45, 0.40, 0.35],
    • "gearWhineCoefsOutput": [0.00, 0.00, 6.00, 6.00, 6.00, 6.00, 6.00, 6.00],
    • "gearWhineInputEvent": "event:>Vehicle>Transmission>straight_01>twine_in_race",
    • "gearWhineOutputEvent": "event:>Vehicle>Transmission>straight_01>twine_out_race",
    f. Paste it like on this picture:

g. Save your original file and close it.​

11) Add custom intakes to your engines
    This tutorial will give you the possibility to add 4 different superchargers and/or 4 different turbochargers to your engine

a. Download this JBEAM file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KD7NcsiWCWXzQPYHnjt_--a820Oim2D_/view?usp=sharing
    b. Add this file with all the JBEAM of your car:

c. Open the JBEAM file corresponding to your engine:

d. As you can see on the picture, the section corresponding to your engine is the first one:

e. Locate the list of slots available for your engine:

f. Copy this:
    • ["TheCrySick_intake","stock_intake", "Intake", {"coreSlot":true}]
    • ["TheCrySick_intake_alt_b","stock_intake_alt_b", "Alternative Intake", {"coreSlot":true}],
    g. Add those 2 lines in the list of slots, just like on the picture:

h. Save your file and close it.

When the modifications are done
    a. Go back to the base folder of your car:

b. select the two files, ‘’vehicles’’ and ‘’art’’, then compress them:

That's it! I hope it's clear :)

Off-topic 1: Torque curve edition
    In BeamNG, the power is expressed in hp, and the torque is expressed in Nm. So, the numbers you can edit in the engine JBEAM are the torque values, and they are expressed in Nm.

But those values are the theorical torque, you need to take 2 things in consideration to obtain the estimated torque: the friction (in Nm) and the dynamic friction (in Nm / Rad/s). You can find them in the engine JBEAM, just under the torque numbers. You need to subtract those 2 values from the theorical torque to estimate the real torque of the engine. The dynamic friction is impacted by the rpm, and 1 Rad/s = 9.55 rpm. So, you can calculate the estimated real torque like this: estimated torque = theorical torque - friction - [(rpm/9.55) * dynamic friction]

The estimated power of the engine (in hp) depend of the torque and the rpm. You can do this simple calculation: estimated power = (estimated torque * rpm)/7000

If you want to build a torque curve, you need to estimate the torque and the power at various rpm. (for example: 0 / 500 / 1000 / !500 / 2000 / 3000 / … rpm)

As an example, I will use a 5.9L v12 engine built with Automation. This engine produces a torque of 592Nm at 7100rpm, 639hp at 8500rpm, and the max rpm is 9400.

When I look in the engine JBEAM, I can find the theorical torque numbers, the friction (around 28Nm) and the dynamic friction (around 0.09Nm / Rad/s). So, I have all I need to build the torque and power curve. I have already built the estimated curves, so I will only show you the calculations for the max torque and the max power.
    • The max torque is reached at 7000rpm, the theorical torque at this rpm is 696Nm, so, estimated torque = 696 - 28 - [(7000/9.55) * 0.09] = 596Nm
    • The max power is reached at 9000rpm, the estimated torque at this rpm is 486Nm, so estimated power = (486 * 9000) / 7000 = 953hp
    The estimations say that this engine should have a torque of 596Nm at 7000rpm, and 655hp at 9000rpm, which is quite close to the real specs of this engine. Even if it’s not perfect for the power produced at high rpm, this method can give you a decent estimation of the torque and power curves you will get if you edit the theorical torque numbers.

a. Open the JBEAM file of your engine
    b. Open this google sheet file: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eSDHPUit3WpuAt5KG9lBUMu0WswVHIuFqNcqOSfV0S4/edit?usp=sharing

c. Locate the max rpm, the friction, and the dynamic friction in the JBEAM file of your engine. They can be found just under the torque numbers:

d. Copy those number, and add them in their place in the google sheet:

e. Sort rpm values in ascending order:
    and
    f. Enter the torque numbers of your choice in the ‘’theorical torque’’ column. Don't forget to enter the torque value at max rpm! The google sheet will do all the calculation, and will show you the estimated torque and power curves:

g. You need to be sure that the max power is reached before the redline
    h. If you are happy with those curves, then replace the torque numbers of your JBEAM with the theorical numbers of your choice​

Off-topic 2: How to build a trike (video made by where's fillman86)
    A big thanks to the Youtuber where's fillman86 :)

#1 TheCrySick, Jun 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 16
  2. G-Farce

G-Farce
    Expand Collapse

Wow! I totally didn't see this. This is awesome. I've been out of the loop on automation stuff, very cool to see more tutorials and guides done this well!

• Like Like x 1
  3. TheCrySick

TheCrySick
    Expand Collapse

4. TheCrySick

TheCrySick
    Expand Collapse

Hi everyone :)
    A new part of the tutorial is now available: How to add a suspension sound to your car!

• Like Like x 2
  5. TheCrySick

TheCrySick
    Expand Collapse

A new part of the tutorial is ready: Add an electric engine with a realistic torque curve to your car!

6. DaddelZeit

DaddelZeit
    Expand Collapse

How about editing tire grip? I remember the setting to be something like 'groundCoef' or something.

7. TheCrySick

TheCrySick
    Expand Collapse

It's something I never do, but I will look if I can find how to do that :)

8. DaddelZeit

DaddelZeit
    Expand Collapse

It's a small improvement. I've done it multiple times to decrease wheel spin. I used on my latest semi and my Pegasus P90. It can definitely increase Performance and make the Car more fun to drive. The only problem with my method it that it also increases the probability of rolling.
    --- Post updated ---
    And how about adding a horn?

9. TheCrySick

TheCrySick
    Expand Collapse

This is why I don't do it, the only time I have touched the tires of one of my cars, it was to improve the grip of the hillclimb variant of my Initiale Vaucluse, and I have simply use the values of the race tires you can find in BeamNG. I think it's better to maximize the aero instead of the tires grip :p
    And for the wheelspin, I don't see it as an issue, because I like to drift ^^

It's something I am trying to do for a few weeks now, but I don't find how to add it :/

10. DaddelZeit

DaddelZeit
    Expand Collapse

Add this line to your main jbeam:
    Code:
            ["soundscape_horn", "soundscape_horn_7", "Horn"],

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. TheCrySick

TheCrySick
    Expand Collapse

Thanks! :D

12. TheCrySick

TheCrySick
    Expand Collapse

I have added this to the tutorial, thanks again mate :)

13. G-Farce

G-Farce
    Expand Collapse

I actually did a comprehensive tutorial on this one a while back in the Automation forum. It's probably buried but completely worth a look

• Like Like x 1
  14. TheCrySick

TheCrySick
    Expand Collapse

Thanks! If you manage to find it, I will add a link in the tutorial! :D

15. vidderus

vidderus
    Expand Collapse

Can you add a tutorial on how to make transparent glass and license plates?

16. TheCrySick

TheCrySick
    Expand Collapse

Sadly, I can't help you with the transparent windows, since I never tried to do it myself. But you can find a tutorial here: https://www.beamng.com/threads/tuto...ent-windows-to-automation-exported-car.56414/
    But, if I am not mistaken, the next update of Automation will make the windows of your cars transparent, and you will probably have an interior editing tool!

For the license plates, I have always used the ones you can find in Automation, but I don't think this is what you want to know ^^'

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Hadrabak

Hadrabak
    Expand Collapse

Please help!!! I don'tknow how to add the electric engine to the car, there is only the tutorial for the transmission
    --- Post updated ---
    I got the engine in, i spawned the car in BeamNG, but the engine disables as i spawn the car, and i have to go to the parts selector to select the engine and the transmission. Could you help me with the engine disabling?

• Like Like x 1
  18. TheCrySick

TheCrySick
    Expand Collapse

Can you send me your car please? :)
    I will take a look to see if I can understand why it doesn't work ;)

19. Hadrabak

Hadrabak
    Expand Collapse

Here's the car.

Attached Files:

#19 Hadrabak, Aug 24, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  20. TheCrySick

TheCrySick
    Expand Collapse

Ok thanks! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice