Trying to create a new map, but so many conflicting tutorials

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Toasty!, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Toasty!

Toasty!
    Expand Collapse

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a new map, and I'm definitely not new to modding or 3D design. However for the life of me I can't seem to find a single unified tutorial documented somewhere that walks through the entire process of creating a map either from scratch, or by cloning another map (e.g. GridMap). For context, I've read and watched many tutorials on the topic, but it seems everyone has their own way of doing things and the process looks like it has changed over the years also. So when things don't go as expected, I'm unsure if I've done something wrong or if it's just that the game has changed. I could be wrong, but this is just the impression of someone trying to break into this.

What I'd like to do is create a new map. I've already built the terrain in Blender, so would be happy either importing the model, or exporting it as a heightmap and then using the world editor to texture paint and add props etc.

I've tried copying GridMap.zip into the mods directory, and then unpacking the zip so I can just rename everything and then start working in the World Editor. However in the unpacked folders I couldn't even find the main info json file that determines the map name etc. So clearly I'm doing something (possibly many things) wrong.

Sorry for the vague request, but if anyone has a recommendation to an up to date how-to doco or YouTube clip, I'd be really appreciative.

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  2. lellolillili

lellolillili
    Expand Collapse

I don't really have anything to contribute, but I'm seconding this.

Please feel free to post updates as you learn the process (as I'm sure you will). I wanted to do a map but I ended up giving up due to 0 experience with 3D stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Toasty!

Toasty!
    Expand Collapse

Yeah happy to document it here as it's uncovered.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Toasty!

Toasty!
    Expand Collapse

A bit of an update, I've succeeded as far as getting my Blender-created terrain imported into the World Editor, and have a couple of excellent YouTube sources to share when I've jumped all the hurdles needed to finish my level. Will post my findings when I'm done, but in summary I realise my challenges are due to the recent introduction of v2.0 of the World Editor. Previous tutorials were for v1.x, so and grasping some of the file structure stuff is also a hurdle. Will cover it all in due time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice