Released Tokyo's Shuto Expressway - Metropolitan Expressway

Discussion in 'Terrains, Levels, Maps' started by Ezo, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Ezo

Ezo
    Expand Collapse

First and for most: I did not made any of the assets in this map, all of them were converted by NFM from the Xentax forum to assetto corsa. If the author wants i take it down.

Oh well, ok, This is the Shuto Expressway around Tokyo, Kawasaki, and Yokohama, about 100 kilometers of japanese highway to explore.

c1-shutoko-beamng.png

Screenshots:
    screenshot_2024-03-11_20-14-50.png screenshot_2024-03-11_20-16-38.png screenshot_2024-03-11_20-17-21.png screenshot_2024-03-11_20-19-25.png screenshot_2024-03-11_20-22-47.png screenshot_2024-03-11_20-25-59.png

Features:
    - LOD system making this big map work smooth even on integrated GPUs by loading much less assets at the same time in comparison to other ports
    - Full night and weather condition support with emissive materials and lights across whole level loading dynamically as you drive
    - A lot of PBR materials made from scratch or with the help of an AI
    - Full traffic support with more than 200 kilometers of ai roads
    - Parking spaces support
    - Realistic map view
    - Reverb and slap delay sounds in tunnels
    - Speedcameras unlocking, with personal bests, conditions and progress tracking
    - Steam Deck support
    - Dynamic HDR Cubemaps to ensure proper lighting across the whole level
    - Download size smallest as possible thanks to optimization
    - Tuning workshop with garage mode support
    - Garage 2 Garage missions by @Kolas
    - Time Trials by @Leo Zieger

Video:

Drivng around the map

Video - Click to Play - Direct Link

Map view
    Lights lod system

So yea, Credits to:
    @Ezo Initial conversion to BeamNG years ago
    @Car_Killer Making this work, Lua extensions of the map, materials conversion, models re-exporting for BeamNG LOD system, scripts to do all above
    @NistingurA Additional work on old C1 Port, motivation
    @silence russian mods Lights and water panes placement that works with tunnels, additional polishing and texture help
    @DevilisticJosh For some lot of help on the porting side of the development
    @Leo Zieger Time trials addition
    @Kolas Garage 2 Garage Missions
    @AgentMooshroom5 Proper Japanese plates
    @! nick - nick
    Authors of Shutoko Revival Project for Assetto Corsa
    https://discord.gg/shutokorevivalproject
    NFM for the original assetto corsa mod, here's the link btw
    https://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12775
    Downloaded from here:
    https://assettocorsa.club/mods/tracks/shuto-expressway-c1.html

Special thanks to everyone involved in the development and testing
    Ai'Torror
    Confused_Deer43
    DamienDutch
    DankMemeBunny
    Excalibras
    Kolas
    MrCrash
    NeedCraft21
    Sitthy
    Stenyak
    Waboll
    Yuko~chan
    baarry5444
    synsol
    thomatoes50

Made possible with:
    Blender
    BlenderGIS
    FBX Bundle Addon
    Visual Studio Code
    ESRI
    Materialize

Future plans:
    - Adding an online leaderboard for speed traps
    - Merging progress with SRP (when 1.0 will be released)
    - Adding route names UI app similar to the one in Tokyo Xtreme Racer 3

Last updated (16.04.2024)

Known issues:
    - The navigation app is useless
    - Some models might have flipped normals if you see any place like that please attach (ALT+O) screenshot in the thread
    - Some buildings might have the wrong material
    - No collision mesh causing guardrails to eat vehicles
    - Some weird shadings in some places
    - The map is still very much playable with these bugs

Minimal requirements to run the map on low settings:
    At least 10GB ram, BeamNG 0.32 and integrated GPU

Recommended requirements to run the map on Ultra settings:
    12GB ram, latest BeamNG version, 3GB GPU

Download (493 mb):
    OneDrive or Google Drive or Mega or Mediafire

If you like my work support me here!

Thread edited by @Car_Killer with @Ezo permissions

A small edit by Ezo: CK is awesome, he basically entirely rebuilt the map and added game changing features to it when doing so, and made what I deem to be the best map for beamng, bar none, so love you ck, continue being the most awesome dev ever S2

#1 Ezo, Mar 4, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2024 at 6:14 PM
    • Like Like x 125
    • Agree Agree x 8
  2. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

>See thread
    >Click download link

I'm a simple man.

By the by, can this work (in theory) with @Gamergull's Traffic Tool?

• Like Like x 4
  3. Ezo

Ezo
    Expand Collapse

It has no AI... its heavy enough without it

4. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Seems you're right. Even with an M.2 SSD, first time loading is a doozy.

There is some glitchiness on the initial ramp coming from Rainbow Bridge down to C1 which likes to eat wheels and tires if you're in just the wrong place.

Also, I found your No Material. It's at the Route 5 junction on the inner loop.

#4 NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck, Mar 4, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  5. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

I have a consistent crash to desktop when exiting back to main menu from this map. Granted that's with 105 other mods active, so who knows. As with other maps, putting the time to the middle of the night and turning on headlights takes about 10 FPS off instantly, though even with the counter bouncing between 37-40 FPS, it still looked dead smooth to me (in other news, I've completely stopped trusting the in-game FPS counter to tell me anything!)

Considering that some of the textures (road especially) actually look grainy at night, and that there is quite a bit of texture Z-fighting on road signs, perhaps textures would be a potential target for optimization?

(Random aside: the Street Tuned 1996 Pessima has to be one of the most bletcherous cars in the entire game to drive - it has no power so acceleration becomes glacial once you hit 5th gear, the brakes lock at a touch causing the car to slew sideways if you're turning at all, and it has no grip despite the suspension apparently being made from concrete.)

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Ezo

Ezo
    Expand Collapse

The constant crash happens to me as well, but idk why and to me it's not only with this map, and the Z fighting was that bug with some signs that I said in the main post, I know what is causing that, but I need some time to fix it cause there are approximately 890 materials in this map

7. Def2004

Def2004
    Expand Collapse

Wangan Midnight Time

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  8. DankMemeBunny

DankMemeBunny
    Expand Collapse

cool and good

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. sainther

sainther
    Expand Collapse

OMG OMG OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH!! iv'e been hoping some would make this mod

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. DutchyGamer

DutchyGamer
    Expand Collapse

oshid! Thanks for replying, this looks amazing!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ezo

Ezo
    Expand Collapse

you're welcome and thankyou aswell :33

• Like Like x 4
  12. MadHEMI

MadHEMI
    Expand Collapse

:D Awesome Map... Avg around 80FPS, Haven't found any laggy areas yet,
    Some fences can be clingly so best to avoid em lol..
    Tyres don't seem to leave skid marks on the road which is a bit dissapointing..
    But still it's quite AWESOME to race around,
    It would be even better with AI, But now we have Script AI anyone can record the AI path and hit play..
    Just need to see skid marks on the road to make it look cooler..
    Loving this creation.. :D
    Well Done.. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Jarret Rucker

Jarret Rucker
    Expand Collapse

10 out of fucking 10.

14. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Narrow triangles eat cars.
    Re-divide areas of poly-faces that eat cars by triangulating it manually. This way when/if it triangulates more, it does not bug out and munch on cars.
    Reversed faces also eat vehicles. This is always bad so you never want reversed faces. It's likely a triangulation issue also.

You can make way points, with the AI able to drive around between them by creating them in the f1 object editor mode.
    You then script it into map.json with each road being it's own line with it's name and it's way points. You can use a way point on multiple lines to connect roads also.

There's lots of way to do it, but I believe at the current rate the traffic tool does NOT work with way points when I last checked.

About performance, now I haven't tried the map yet, but if you don't link your faces that have like-textures (same texture on all faces you want to link), each one will be a new draw call. Hitting 4000~5000 faces in a scene will then cause FPS to plummet, even on the best processor and/or graphics card. Make sure to always stay under 3200 draw calls without a vehicle, or 4000 draw calls with a vehicle in the scene/in view. Now if you link your UV's (the faces with texturing are then called UV's), you can render all connected or identical faces in one pass, with that texture, until it runs out of linked textures or gets to the next (not connected) building. Same with roads - connect all the textures you can, and you'd be amazed at the difference in performance. If you use Maya, you can often select and move a bunch of similar faces at once in the UV editor with the drag-and-select method, which can be much easier than moving the camera around to select them all. Fixing this would be a little bit time-consuming but it's totally worth it in the end of it all. Also, a simple collision mesh with no faces narrower than 2~3cm will help keep cars from sticking or passing through faces becoming stuck or broken when they shouldn't break in that spot. Name your collision mesh Colmesh_1 or Colmesh-1 inside the object.
    If you are using Sketchup to make things, please learn Blender (Blender is free!) or purchase (or download trial of) Maya LT. Sketchup is okay for building your dream kitchen, but not for BeamNG.

Good luck, and let me know if that's not explained well enough.
    Please look up and understand what DRAW CALLS are before attempting a fix. Thanks!
    Also, please get to know about LOD's if you haven't already. LOD's can save the day.

#14 bob.blunderton, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 2
  15. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Map runs perfectly.

Always ending up falling from bridge, would like to drive on loop forever, but maybe I take wrong turn someplace?

16. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Are you going clockwise or counterclockwise?

When you spawn, you're in a parking area; if you go straight ahead to exit and follow the signs you'll be northbound on Daiba line with the Rainbow Bridge behind you and C1 ahead of you. Go straight ahead, mind the eaty polygons in the middle of the road, and you will come to a fork in the road which is called Hamasakibashi JCT (can't believe I had to look that up, guess I'm getting rusty). If you take the ramp to the left, you will be on the outer (clockwise) loop, if you go straight ahead, you will be on the inner (counterclockwise) loop. Now, if you go to the outer loop, you will encounter, in this order:

-Elevated section weaving between buildings (Shibakouen)
    -Tunnel
    -Another elevated section
    -Another tunnel (Kasumigaseki Tunnel)
    -A roughly ground-level? section which passes a pond
    -Another tunnel
    -Yet another elevated section
    -An offramp which peels off to the right, going high in the air in the process (Edobashi JCT)
    -A sunken section (Takarachou, Ginza)
    -Yet another tunnel
    -A raised platform area, which I believe is called Shidome

That last area is your signal to watch out. It is three lanes wide and contains a left-right S-curve. After that S-curve, you are back at Hamasakibashi JCT and the road splits. If you veer to the left you will be headed back towards Daiba line and the Rainbow Bridge; the sections you would reach from here (Shinkanjou AKA New Belt Line and Haneda/Yokohane lines) are not replicated in this mod. If you take the ramp to the right, however, you will stay on C1 and be able to lap indefinitely.

If you go to the inner loop, you will encounter the above-mentioned list of things in reverse order, with the exception that the ramp at Edobashi JCT (sometimes referred to as the "Edobashi Death Ramp" on the inner loop) no longer goes to the sky and the tunnel near Shibakouen is not there, turning the whole area from Kasumigaseki to Hamasakibashi JCT into one long elevated section. In either case, I suspect this is where your problem is; the last elevated section takes you back to Hamasakibashi JCT and in this case it's left to stay on C1, right to go back to the bridge. The ramp to the right (back to the bridge) looks more "straight ahead" in this case than the one to the left. Thus, you must dip to the left before you get to the right-hander that points you at the bridge, and get ready for the road to fall out from under you heading into one of the route's tighter turns.

#16 NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Ezo

Ezo
    Expand Collapse

This is very helpful, thanks for posting it
    but theres things that i already did from that and things that i can't do, for example, linking things with the same material, they're all connected, otherwise beam wouldn't load up the whole map, so i spent almost a week joining them, but it was quite hard, cause blender (yes i used blender) didn't wanted to run very long before starting to eat all my 16gbs of ram, with that, i can't do much modifications to the model (wich btw is a convert, thank god that i didn't modeled it, i'd be crazy by now) but i will try that triangulate thing, also i was thinking, if i separate the parts that a car can collide (such as fences, roads, tunnels) and extrude them it would work to make a better collision mesh?

• Like Like x 1
  18. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Well that's good you've already got them connected.
    It really doesn't matter if you make them separate, or if you have them altogether, except if your model is unusually huge. You might opt to make your model a few separate pieces. Make the buildings one and the ground another (much less optimal) , or just chop up the model every city block or so, so it can use LOD's (best). If the game tries to render an entire game level at once, yes it's going to be slow. So entirely, if you don't have LOD's yet, I'd consider chopping up the map into 1-block sizes (or at-least quarter-mile sizes in less dense areas, too many pieces could slow it), and generating LOD's.
    The appropriate model hierarchy that is set up in the DAE files can be gleaned from East Coast USA or any of the game maps, if you haven't yet.

19. Jesus_Christ

Jesus_Christ
    Expand Collapse

Hey! No swearing!

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 5
  20. Ezo

Ezo
    Expand Collapse

i wanted to divide it in squares, but idk how to do it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice