Tires?

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by BarrelTerror18, Sep 19, 2020.

1. BarrelTerror18

BarrelTerror18
    Expand Collapse

Why isn't there any (visible) Tire management in BeamNG?
    If Beam Prides itself on being highly realistic, then why is there a seeming lack of attention to the tires?
    The Tire is one of the most influential variables in vehicle performance and affects every metric of a vehicle.
    So where is the management of Tire Temperatures and Tire wear?
    In the real world many aspects of a tire and by Extention the entire Wheel structure including the Rims, Brakes, Axles, Suspension, etc, Affect the vehicle.

2. Phym

Phym
    Expand Collapse

Maybe the devs don’t touch the tires because they’re realistic enough to not make your mid range computer have a nuclear meltdown.
    • I know what you’re doing, typing saying, “just make it be turned off”. But what’s the point.
    • Look closely, the tires are more detailed than you think.
    • Even though they are, they won’t be seen from (at least) the orbit camera.
    • The tires can wear-ish, if you put them under enough stress, unless they are high performance, they can pop(that happens to me at least)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BarrelTerror18

BarrelTerror18
    Expand Collapse

I'm Sure Tire simulation can be done in a way that doesn't incur massive performance penalties, Soft body physics used to be mostly relegated to high end hardware and Most Vehicle simulators of all types have implemented Tire simulation. For example, Project Cars 1 & 2 have highly sophisticated tire simulation yet are able to run on hardware from 7 years ago with minimal performance penalties. Now while you can argue that Beam is different, that still doesn't answer why the tires don't seem to really effect the vehicle to a high degree.
    If there was tire wear and Tire Temps, then why is there no UI app for such?
    I know Beam is still a small team, the fact that BeamNG has been in Alpha for 5 years and there is still a long way to go is proof of that. However I do feel as though the Tires, if they don't already, should get more attention.

4. Harkin Gaming

Harkin Gaming
    Expand Collapse

The game is still in development, so it will likely be implemented before full release. Like you stated, the game has been and still is in Alpha.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Taza

Taza
    Expand Collapse

There is no tire wear or temperature simulated as of now. Tires now perform as if they were at their most optimal state.
    Adding such features sounds easy, but you have to remember that BeamNG supports all edge cases; nothing is pre-defined.

This is exactly how it is in BeamNG.drive.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Phym

Phym
    Expand Collapse

Maybe because project cars doesn't have soft body physics?
    Just an idea.
    If you're talking about higher res tires textures, that is doable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

I'll just quote this...

Trust me... they are working on the tires and giving them great attention to detail.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

Just like when they added fire simulation, brake thermals, and engine thermals our computers had a nuclear meltdown?...

Tire thermals is something they've looked into adding, but I don't know to what extent their interest is in adding them. There's a commented out "updateWheelThermalsGFX" function in the wheels.lua file, maybe it's just incomplete coming in a future update.

As far as the rest goes, tires and rims are set up individually with their own strengths, dampening, etc. So they will effect vehicle dynamics even if in the slightest of ways.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Phym

Phym
    Expand Collapse

GG. Just... GG
    I mean, higher res tire textures are doable, and so are thermals. But I feel like anything crossing that line is a bit too much. Just my opinion.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice