1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Tire noise on different surfaces

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SKB, Jun 7, 2021.

1. SKB

SKB
    Expand Collapse

Is there going to be an increase in the types of tire noise?
    as of now we have different sounds while on water, ice, asphalt, cobblestone and dirt/mud,
    is there going to be different road noise for different surfaces such as roads that are made of concrete vs roads made of asphalt?

2. ThatCarGuyDownTheStreet

ThatCarGuyDownTheStreet
    Expand Collapse

Mmmm, dunno if it's possible (though I'd expect it to be somewhat easy to implement) perhaps offroad/agressive tires giving that loud humming noise on tarmac? Sorry it isn't exactly the topic of the thread, but it's something that's been on my mind for a while.
    As for concrete and asphalt, they generally sound the same. Though as most bridges are made out of concrete, I could see how some would perceive it that way.
    video of "tire howl" as it's called:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. SKB

SKB
    Expand Collapse

yeah because as of now, the wooden bridges, and cobblestone roads and dirt/mud terrain are the only other "road" noise there is..
    also, older concrete roads tend to have more road noise compared to older tar/asphalt roads.

and yeah, more noise on offroad specific tires is another thing too :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

The revamped tire audio system has the flexibility now to support whatever surfaces we choose to implement in the game - the audio system just needs to be told about it. I agree there is a tonal change between asphalt and concrete. Concrete is definitely noisier and has more mid/high frequencies than asphalt imo.

As for tarmac humming based on larger treaded tires, great minds think alike ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SKB

SKB
    Expand Collapse

i presume sometime in the future, there will be a massive sound stuff update?:rolleyes:

6. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

Not really, we're more likely to get things in for each update which need little or no code support. Then we'll have a larger task which may get done over the period of a couple of updates if it's complex.

• Like Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice