Tire Modding

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Cardinal799, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

Hello to everyone who sees this!
    I am very new to modifying cars, and I have been quite interested in the tires, because they have a lot of aspects to them that can be changed. I have been using the DriveEditor program to mess around with the values, and I am curious to know just what some of the major parts of the tires are, and how they will affect the tires in-game.

2. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

3. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

4. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Well, YEAH.

5. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

If there was a way, and there may just possibly be one, that a car can stick to the road, not flip over when you turn, and can stop unreasonably well, without obliterating itself in the process, would be crazy stupid. I know it would be unreasonable, but it could be potentially cool.;)

6. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

If you lowered the center of gravity enough you could possibly have a drivable car with absurd grip, though I doubt the suspension would be able to take the abuse, even if you made it stiffer and heavier.

7. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

How would you lower the center of gravity? And what would be the best way to possibly make the suspension be able to handle that? (As long as I don't attempt to drive down Lombard Street at 100MPH ;) )

8. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Well, you could add a bunch of weight to the floor nodes, and reduce the weight of the roof (but not too much or it'll explode).

Suspension: increase the node weights for everything involved (hub, axis points, etc.) and increase spring, damp, deform, and break.

9. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

Now, which nodes would belong to each part? (Would the rf nodes be for the roof?)

EDIT: I think I found the roof nodes. I did also get the chassis to weigh more, and that definitely worked. Now, the steering needs some strengthening, and I can't find that part of the suspension makes it stiffer (it is now not supporting the weight of the chassis, but it will run, it just kind of drags)

#9 Cardinal799, Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  10. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

You can look in the debug mode to find the node names. And the parts of the car are categorized in the files to some extend. Not sure exactly how specific.

11. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

how would I lighten the weight of a tire without exploding it? Not to jack the thread though

12. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

Do you mean make the vehicle lighter to soften the load on the tires? Or do you mean making the actual tires lighter? Lighten the nodes of the body, for the lighter vehicle.

13. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

You'll need to reduce the spring and damp values of all beams attached to any node that you reduce the weight of. Usually just proportional (so if you cut the weight in half, then cut spring, damp, deform, and strength in half)

14. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

Okay, will the suspension always be low and bumpy when I spawn in no matter how high I set the scalebeam nodes?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice