Unsolved Throttle sensitivity

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by Raider, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Raider

Raider
    Expand Collapse

How i can reduce throttle sensitivity? Because now car is very unstable.

2. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

The current engine sim comes with a basic throttle behavior built in that basically maps the engine to nearly constant power for given throttle opening, which is pretty conservative as is. So as the revs climb the torque drops at a given throttle position. We don't have a way to modify that.

You can also add linearity to your throttle in the input mapping

Chassis setup has a big influence too of course. Some ideas that might help:

Try adding some rear toe in, or change the toe arm angle so there is some dynamic toe in under compression. If you get tricky with a longer or shorter toe arm you can make a suspension that toes in under compression and extension from ride height.

Minimize the strength of the lsd locking so it just barely prevents inside wheel spin on corner exit

Try reducing the rear load transfer compared to the front with stiffer front susp/softer rear, this way the car will be able to handle more throttle in a corner, but it will understeer more in neutral cornering

As well, if the car has a ton of power, it may be very difficult to drive until the aero starts to work, just the nature of the car...

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I had UI app on screen which shows wheel torque, when I was driving T75 some time ago, what I noticed was that 30% throttle did give quite close to same torque as 100%, throttle, same rpm and gear naturally. Turbo and how easily it boosts has lot to do with that I guess. Might be already different with new turbo tuning you guys have been doing, but especially with turbo motors it seems to be important to pay attention how well turbo will go to max boost at low throttle when building mods.

With NA engines I'm not sure if modifying engine parameters might give bit weaker response to low throttle openings, I would guess there is some tricks on could do.

4. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Yes the turbo will influence things and make driveability worse with the wrong tuning, we recently added some changes that make the turbo power more sensitive to engine load so the power delivery is more controllable.

Try playing with an NA engine and you will see that if you accelerate at constant partial throttle, the power will build up to a point at low rpm and remain fairly constant as it moves towards redline. This is what I mean by the throttle simulation. The original simple method we had years ago was to scale the torque directly as a proportion of throttle, so at part throttle the engine would just follow a scaled down version of the torque curve, which made for very difficult control and requiring tons of throttle at low rpm to go any where.

What we are doing is more like a simplified version of what the throttle plate does when open partially, reducing torque as the rpm builds because vacuum in the manifold increase quickly as the revs climb reducing volumetric efficiency.

There is also something on top of this effect that can be done with throttle linkage (input linearity) or with modern fly by wire, a mapping of pedal to throttle based on various inputs, which we haven't dared to dive into yet :p

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Inputs can be done of course by controller setup, setting linearity there might help with OP issue too, but of course it would not be set in mod.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice