Cancelled The Tumbler

Discussion in 'Land' started by Airhawk, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Airhawk

Airhawk
    Expand Collapse

Cancelled
    Unfortunately, I cannot continue this project. Things in the real world have taken off and have taken a higher priority than this. For those who were interested and want to continue working on this, the files are attached

Hello everyone! I've been lurking around the forums for a while now and have been playing the game for a couple months and have decided to try my hand at modeling and Jbeam-ing. And, as I am a huge Batman fan, what other way to start than with the best car/tank ever created for a movie? I give you *fanfare* THE TUMBLER!... or, in this case, a rough outside model...

Since I'm completely new to this hobby of modeling, this will take some time (I don't have a set date to be done) and I may need help with the jbeam files. I've learned a few things by reading around the interwebs, such as needing triangles everywhere in the mesh so it deforms right, how to put a cube in the game, however I have no idea whatsoever how to attach things once the mesh is broken down, how to texture, etc. etc... I am open to tips and tricks about how to do all of this so thank you in advanced! So, without further ado, pictures! Oh, and this is my own creation. I was tempted to go out, find one, and try to jbeam it in but I want this to be 100% mine.

Pictures (7/3/2014)
    7.3.2014 1.JPG 7.3.2014 2.JPG 7.3.2014 3.JPG 7.3.2014 4.JPG

Just some quick real-world info about the Tumbler: It was originally built for the movie Batman Begins, produced by Christopher Nolan in 2005. At several million US dollars to produce the prototype, this was no cheap car to make. Why so expensive? Because Mr. Nolan wanted the real thing. A total of 4 were built, 2 "race" versions, one with the petal-opening cockpit, and another with full hydraulics for the wings and flaps. Most of what you see is the real thing. Yes, it went through a real concrete barrier on the highway. Yes, that was a real Crown Vic it ran over without a ramp. Yes, it did make a jump into a waterfall. Some stats for the race versions: 5.0 (or 5.7... there's confusion about it) L V8 Vauxhall/GM engine belting out over 500 ponies; weighs 2.3 tons; 15 feet long and just over 9 feet wide; capable of over 100 mph; and can land jumps of almost 30 feet.

Update 6/16/2014
    This project is now open to whoever would like to help. I would really like to learn how to do all of this so I'm not giving up just yet! Message me if you'd be willing to assist and I'll set you up with the files.

Update 7/3/2014
    I have made a command decision to keep this project alive for a little while longer. I found a decent WIP model of the Tumbler here by a user named Xuan. I'm editing his WIP model to suit Drive constraints, as well as fixing modeling errors. Currently the model is around 65,000 faces, most of them on the tires. When I release beta, I'll try to include both slicks (minimal detail) and standard (accurate) tires. I'm not sure if the jet engine, flaps/wings, and turning handbrakes will be working by then.

Attached Files:

#1 Airhawk, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Autofan

Autofan
    Expand Collapse

This looks epic! Good luck. :D

3. ultranew_b

ultranew_b
    Expand Collapse

Nice ! Can't wait !

4. Rokzy rules

Rokzy rules
    Expand Collapse

Look's awesome. Hope you get this ingame. Good luck !

5. Nickefant

Nickefant
    Expand Collapse

That's awesome! I think this type of vehicle, (big and bulky, yet somewhat responsive and fast) has the potential to look amazing when implemented in a game like this.

Any plans to animate the spoiler/flaps to react with the brakes?

6. Airhawk

Airhawk
    Expand Collapse

@Nickefant: If I can figure out how to jbeam it in, yes. I'd like to include thrusters for the jet engine on the back as well. While I was doing my research, the car is responsive because the driver locks one side of the back wheels so to get that part in will be tricky. Otherwise it'll just be a tank that can only do well in straight lines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. cool271

cool271
    Expand Collapse

What a freaking cool idea on putting something a little more "cartoonish" into the game instead of just real cars!

8. tjspycorp

tjspycorp
    Expand Collapse

im interested.
    Im sure it will be hard to make it handle well with that much weight though

9. Airhawk

Airhawk
    Expand Collapse

A little update: I'm currently in the middle of AP and IB testing so school is taking precedence over this. As soon as June rolls around and I'm no longer testing and studying, I will continue working on the Tumbler

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Mr. Prototype

Mr. Prototype
    Expand Collapse

OMG, this will be epic when and if it gets completed. I will crush cars and be like "I'm Batman". Looks great so far, but yes most importantly school first.

11. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Awww yiss. Just finished the trilogy. This will be epic.

12. Airhawk

Airhawk
    Expand Collapse

Now that my horrible month of testing is done with, work will continue on the Tumbler!

13. Rokzy rules

Rokzy rules
    Expand Collapse

Did you do well ?

14. Airhawk

Airhawk
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure. I won't find out the results until July 5th. Most of them were pretty difficult. I should pass most of them... Should...

15. Airhawk

Airhawk
    Expand Collapse

I'm opening this up to the community. I'm having troubling modeling and it's frustrating me to the point of insanity and my experiments with jbeaming have been brutal. Message me if you'd like to join in!

16. Airhawk

Airhawk
    Expand Collapse

Re: The Tumbler - UPDATE 7/3/2014

Work is coming along! Update posted in OP.

17. Deleted member 68988

Deleted member 68988
    Expand Collapse

Re: The Tumbler - UPDATE 7/3/2014

Great work so far! Looking forward until a release. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice