The story of my rig

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Kitteh5, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

2. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I think of it every time I use my rig. How sad is that?

3. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, apparently bumpkins are ignorant and don't listen. Donnie is a redneck theist my dad trusts no more.

4. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

It is also sad how I had redo all of the cable "management" he had done and I upgraded everything I upgraded (cooler and ram) myself with no problems until one of the sticks died. He didn't even open it up during the reinstall just to check. WTF?

5. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

I was expecting a "I don't give a damn" type thread, you know. Read it and wonder what the point was. However... this man needs to be fired. If you are hired for a specific job then you perform that job as specified. The work is poor quality and he locks down the operating system every time he gets his hands on it. Complain to his boss unless he's self employed, in which case you don't use his services and if you can -- offer a poor review in the form of that story copypasted on some kind of public domain such as a website. He'll have a business card if he does this as actual work.

It isn't exactly legal to do what he's doing, but you'd be the bigger cunt by seeking litigation.

6. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

Let me tell you, this is his actual job, and he has a business card and everything. I will post that somewhere, but yeah no legalities involved. I can't change the logon screen on my rig right now, and it took me a while the first time. Hell, all I wanted it was black. It's a gaudy ASUS logo on there, because the only Asus part in there is the board. I don't know, maybe I could get a few hundred bucks out of him in court. I don't know. It is extremely safe to say I will not use his services again. If someone does me wrong once, I hate my choice. If it happens a second time, they are the ones responsible.

7. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

only thing i'm curious about, is why not re-install windows yourself since it's your pc?

8. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

He installed it OEM in the first place, had no key or anything. He had a "guarantee" on his work. He bloated it up afterwards and even installed Office, and I use Google Docs. :/ It was his original work, he had to fix it or else.

9. Jacksonb

Jacksonb
    Expand Collapse

This guy might be the biggest bitch of all time. (Just Saying)

10. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

I JUST GOT OVER IT. NOW I HAVE TO REMEMBER IT AGAIN. (dont worry) I hate him.

11. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Take it apart and build it again yourself, problem solved. You even get to clean thermal paste, fun.

12. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

It works enough. Standards are up to my level right now, and it has good paste in it.

13. Stian Aarskaug

Stian Aarskaug
    Expand Collapse

Maybe consider an SSD? :)

14. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

I'd rather upgrade the card. I have an SSD in my future upgrade plan, but only after I buy a 970 and a new case.

15. Stian Aarskaug

Stian Aarskaug
    Expand Collapse

I'd never live with a computer without an SSD. The difference is night and day, granted you configured it right (which isn't that difficult at all).
    I'd rather cut down on other components rather than dropping the SSD all together.

16. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Gaming performance > fast boot

17. Stian Aarskaug

Stian Aarskaug
    Expand Collapse

There's a lot more to it than faster boot times. You notice it in everything you do. It won't affect gaming FPS much at all, but everything else will be snappy and respond fast as hell. Doesn't matter if you're running anti-virus search, 100 browsing tabs, photoshop and a bunch of other programs at one time. It'll still be quick as hell, while an HDD will crap itself trying to do more than one thing at a time. Even one thing it can't do quick enough. It makes for a hugely unbalanced system, as the HDD is a huge bottleneck. Once you've tried an SSD you don't want to go back.

A PC isn't just used to play games on you know.

18. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Of the things you listed, only antivirus would be effected by SSD. Tabs, open into ram, maybe they might page but they don't do so at a very high rate, HDD isn't touched basically. Photoshop, loading time will improve, delay on opening and saving files will improve, otherwise it runs entirely in RAM as do most programs.

Literally all an SSD impacts is how long it takes to read or write data to the disk which accounts for hardly anything in the grand scheme of things.

I am getting an SSD in my laptop (due to arrive tomorrow but I'm out 6:30am til 10pm tomorrow so I wont have time to install, someone else is home to get package though, won't have time friday either) for the OS and will be installing civilization (which loads thousands of small files and quite a few large archives too on every running, takes nearly 20 minutes for my laptop to get from steam library to actually being in a game on Beyond Earth, about 10-15 for civ 5, SSD should really help) and visual studio on it (does take an age to open from HDD). 128gb is huge for that, but it was £5 more than 64gb so made total sense to make the jump to me.
    Really though, I'm getting it because my 1tb hdd failed. I temporarily installed a 250gb hdd that I had spare and then the intel raid controller bitched about how I had 1 drive in RAID Cache mode and no corresponding drive (I have a 32gb mSATA SSD as cache from factory) for it to cache so I disabled cache mode and installed linux on it, it has made zero difference to me but considering my dad has now offered to pay for a replacement 1tb HDD and my SSD is no longer in cache mode I have decided to spend the HDD cash on an SSD upgrade as a boot drive.

But daily usage tasks as I am already doing on an SSD equipped system, it has made a whopping no impact to my life.

19. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

either you had a broken HDD, had a ridiculously slow speed hdd, or are hugely exaggerating

i can run an anti-virus scan, a few tabs in chrome including youtube in 1440P while rendering a video in sony vegas without a single problem or slow-down, i could probably generate chunks in minecraft as well if i wanted to while doing all that, i also have no problem recording stuff to the same hdd i'm running it from

and my drive is made by a brand that a lot of people seem to say has reliability issues, it's a seagate 7200rpm barracuda 1TB

game performance > loading and boot times ALWAYS (and boot times isn't even too much of a worry if you run windows 8/8.1, fast boot (even if it does cheat) FTW)

i'd much rather be able to have 60 fps high-max settings over faster loading and boot times

20. cameron4me

cameron4me
    Expand Collapse

Glad I went for my system, rather than the one I was planning which was:

Intel Pentium G3258
    Z97 MOBO (cant remember exact but I think it was GIGABYTE)
    8GB of the cheapest DDR3 I could find
    MSI GTX 770
    250GB Samsung 840 EVO
    500GB SATA II drive that was just there
    600W PSU
    Corsair 200R

And the signature says what I have now, thanks to some shortcuts including the MOBO (I cant overclock but that doesn't bother me that much) and the SSD.

And I get 60FPS in everything I do and get 10000+ in Fire Strike. Enough said.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice