Released The Nevada Interstate forum - Succeeded by MODS release - bug reports only here!

Discussion in 'Terrains, Levels, Maps' started by bob.blunderton, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Latios Jeff

Latios Jeff
    Expand Collapse

There seems to be a few hidden gaps scattered around the map that seem to catch tires whenever locked up sliding wheels pass over it and even sometimes ripping the wheel right off.

The picture below only shows one of them.
    2016-02-20_00004.jpg

#61 Latios Jeff, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  2. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Oh my, that's not good. That intersection is going to be fixed up a bit better, those are mesh-road pieces, and was the first 'intersection' I did with the highway so it's arguably the worst. Going to out-mode the mesh-roads and it should be a bit better/smoother. Slopes are a bit steep, on the main road, too. Will work on that. If you find others that bite the tires, give me a shout and point them out. I tried to get rid of all the tire biters - bumps are OK, tire biters are NOT ok. The road should NOT attack the car. No town has 100% perfect roads but catching the leading or trailing edge of a mesh road like such in the picture can make BAD things happen - this is to be avoided. Thanks for the bug report. I will have a fixed version uploaded in a week or two possibly, depending on how things are going (I've got two map projects I am working on - working on the Tennessee map whilst I get some more bug rep's on this one).

• Like Like x 1
  3. Latios Jeff

Latios Jeff
    Expand Collapse

I decided to take some time and check the whole freeway loop on both sides going the right and the wrong way by deliberately locking up the wheels on the Moonhawk. I found quite a few tire biters, and some gaps are very visible. I snapped screencaps of all the tire biters I've encountered and a couple that I've experienced tire popping before on much faster vehicles but couldn't reproduce with the current car I used.

2016-02-22_00001.jpg 2016-02-22_00002.jpg 2016-02-22_00003.jpg

2016-02-22_00004.jpg 2016-02-22_00005.jpg 2016-02-22_00006.jpg

2016-02-22_00007.jpg 2016-02-22_00008.jpg 2016-02-22_00010.jpg
    2016-02-22_00011.jpg 2016-02-22_00012.jpg 2016-02-22_00013.jpg
    2016-02-22_00014.jpg 2016-02-22_00015.jpg 2016-02-22_00016.jpg
    2016-02-22_00017.jpg 2016-02-22_00018.jpg 2016-02-22_00019.jpg

Time taken to do all this totaled up to almost 2 hours of just the highway loop and it's intersections and bridges.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

That's very helpful, I will keep this thread bookmarked, and go back and fix most (if not all) of those. It's *VERY* hard to get these perfect, but I'll see what I can do. The game is very intolerant of improperly meshed mesh-roads :x I may go back and convert some of the mesh roads into decal roads actually. The closer I get it, the more flickering that happens... but they shouldn't explode the car tires... that's bad.
    The first few are of the first interchange, was aware of those actually, just hadn't gotten around to perfecting it @ map release.
    #5 & #7 I was aware of but it never happened unless you were going really slow so I didn't think much of it. The rest of these, I didn't notice tires blowing up on, so I'll look into it, and try and perfect these more than they are at the current time. I have gotten much better @ map smoothing in the last while since I put this out (which is mostly why it's been on the back burner). I'll see what I can do about this.

5. TheMohawkNinja

TheMohawkNinja
    Expand Collapse

The download link throws an error:

upload_2016-3-3_18-17-36.png

Attached Files:

• upload_2016-3-3_18-17-18.png
  6. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Try again a bit later, while it's working fine on my end - there may have been a temporary issue or outage that has resolved itself.
    Make sure your firewall or another program (like an addon for firefox) isn't messing with mega.nz website.
    The download IS working (though, to your credit - atleast you did let me know there is/was an issue).
    If it's still down later i'll look a bit deeper into getting an alternative download source.

7. General Lee

General Lee
    Expand Collapse

You gotta make the Abandoned Pennsylvania Turnpike. That would just make this game complete for me! Nice map BTW I love it!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Used to live near there, I am sure that could be done. That's built to the OLD americanized (read:cheapened) german highway standards... incl a curb for center dividers and the old squarish guard rails...etc, but yeah, that's on the abandoned highways site. I could entirely do something like that using existing models. If I remember correctly that had 2 tunnels or atleast one (2 lanes wide), that was bypassed by a four-lane mountain road or something like that. There's also an abandoned water-filled rail tunnel there nearby to it. It's pretty interesting, though I've never been on it, as I hear time hasn't been kind to the overpasses - surely they won't break in half but they're beyond their service life for-sure. Would be pretty awesome to make, though. There's an abandoned plaza too, though I think it might have become a firing range or something... not too sure. There's 2-3 sites on it (I can find them easily enough). Will definitely put that on the to-do list as I think that'd be cool also (can use the east coast map resources as that's much like the setting, along with the overpasses/tunnels I have currently). Will use real terrain from Terrain Party.

9. General Lee

General Lee
    Expand Collapse

Yes, well there is this one video in particular I can link in here to these people who back in 1953 I believe the year was took their first color camera and recorded the Pennsylvania Turnpike straight from their car!

10. forzaguy

forzaguy
    Expand Collapse

damn hipsters

11. General Lee

General Lee
    Expand Collapse

What the hell do you mean by hipsters? That is history not hipstory.

12. Spaceballs the Username

Spaceballs the Username
    Expand Collapse

This is one of my favorite maps. I can get past some of the missing textures because this is my favorite driving map.

13. GatheringAgate

GatheringAgate
    Expand Collapse

So wait how do I download this and install?

14. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

MANUAL DOWNLOAD DIRECTIONS:
    Download the zip file listed in the first post. It's a pretty decent size file, so give it some time to download (unless you have top-dollar internet where you're at). When you download the file open up your file browser and goto your
    "My Documents\BeamNG.drive\mods\levels" folder and place the zip (that you just downloaded) into this folder.
    You can then start up BeamNG.Drive program, and select the desired map "Nevada Interstate" from the level select screen.
    It's pretty easy to do it this way, HOWEVER, if you do it from within the game, it'll be a bit less work-intensive (but this was the way I knew that works). I have never used the automatic mod installer to tell you how to do it that way (but I am sure someone else can if need be).
    --- Post updated ---
    Thank-you very kindly. It's always nice, to hear something nice. The orange lamp-post's texture is bugged right now. I'll do my best to fix it for when I put some more guard-rail in, and fix a few of the bridge approaches that are a bit too bumpy (they sometimes nibble on cars or car tires). A few of the mountain roads will be smoothed out also, on the east side of the map.
    --- Post updated ---
    Just wow. I was around 8-12 years old or so, when they expanded the Blue Mountain tunnel with a 2nd tunnel just to the west of it the original BM PA turnpike tunnel (creating 4 lanes total). I grew up near to the exit just sound of that tunnel by about 15-20 miles or so. While I wasn't even an idea in my parent's mind at that time this was filmed, it hits a soft spot in my heart. I have a few sites I will reference for the data for doing this, but it's totally a great idea for Beam.
    It most likely won't get started in the next 2-3 weeks, as I've currently got a map I'm working on, but I'll see what I can whip up. It's 100% do-able, though.
    Nice name btw, I grew up watching Dukes all the time as a kid and would still watch it today in a second.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Superchu Frostbite

Superchu Frostbite
    Expand Collapse

First thing I did was drag race in the tunnels. EDIT: Just noticed the half-life reference in the town, noice.

#75 Superchu Frostbite, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  16. Quotation

Quotation
    Expand Collapse

It really is a shame MEGA doesn't work on my computer. Never has, would like to try it but oh well.

17. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, this map is made off the original Black Hills map by OuerBacker. If you mean this 'Black Cliffs' name, yes, that's Ouerbacker coming up with that one. The surface streets, terrain, models and such were done by him. I added circa 15 miles of double-sided double-lane highway around the map, added a few more surface streets & four-lane roads, a dam, light poles (texture is missing, oops)... and all the overpasses/tunnels (except one half of the side-road tunnel that's somewhat hidden, that I merely completed). Glad you enjoy this map. Going to work out some of the tire-biting bridges in the near future, and hopefully get that lamp-post texture pointer fixed up properly.
    --- Post updated ---
    Get your computer fixed. It works here and I have very stringent security settings. Use Firefox, while not the fastest browser, it'll work with lots of things without letting your computer get sick as easily.
    --- Post updated ---
    I put some more work into Nevada Interstate. One new set of on&offramps, and a new four-lane roadway [leading to it] have been completed. It's super-smooth and NOT FLAT, woohoo - and NO mesh roads added! I did fix all of the highway surface issues with the tires exploding on the poonhawk - atleast I think I did. I won't have the new file up for a few days, going to extend this four-lane so it wraps around and joins the existing four-lane road (the one with the concrete culvert and large dip in it near the map center), but that's going to take atleast another full day of work. Going to make it nice and smooth and not use any mesh roads. It's supposed to be like roadways they put in before industrial/residential large development. It will be fun - this is a DRIVING game after-all, so what good is a bunch of open space with no roads for driving in the driving game, right?

All that being said, I THINK THE LAMPS FINALLY HAVE A TEXTURE THATS NOT NO-TEXTURE ORANGE - and the rock face should have a texture now, for those that don't have 'black hills' map.
    Reason for the big letters is that the texture (material) editor is a real !@#$^% to work with.
    Took a few tries, but it comes up when I load the map fine now, so, hopefully, it should be the same for others. Sorry if there's double-posts on this thread - should not do that (i'm not double-typing things!).
    --- Post updated ---
    OK, lamp posts have texture, check, tunnel rock facade has texture, check, 4 lane side roads corrected (no more lumps or otherwise roadways haphazardly applied directly over the terrain - d'oh!)....
    The 'under construction' roads (both of them) have been completed, and ironed out quite nicely and are quite smooth. The one on the east side that went from four to two lanes, and dead-ended before it reached the mountain (not the dam access road) is complete, and is now about four miles long. A few banked corners here for fun. You can get quite a bit of speed coming down here.
    One of the south-side interchanges is completely re-done, removed all the mesh roads here and turned an adjacent highway hill (both sides) into decal roads. I was on a mesh-road killing spree that night but I am sure the results are much better than what was before them.
    COMPLETELY reworked interchange on the north side (it's the one overpass with exits near the really long tunnel). No more mesh roads here at this interchange anywhere (yay! Moonhawks all beeping in unison - you know who you are). Also fixed about a mile + of the approach road coming up to the exit (not the highway).
    The highway just E of that interchange now has a bit more slope, and the rather uneven section of highway past it has been fixed up and is now nice and smooth and a long, sweeping curve is friendly to fast drivers.
    There are THREE new interchanges, with complete on/off ramp setups. One trumpet interchange, one standard diamond interchange, and one that's a mix of a pair of left-hand exit/entrance ramps and a dog-legged side-road that y's off into exits.
    This last interchange I mentioned is on the S/SW side the map and leads to a roughly 2-mile long all-new roadway that runs along the top of the mountain range, with lots of tight turns (mostly decal road here), it'll be fun but if you speed you'll be taking the fast-track to the bottom. Should be a lot of fun for those with a wheel or good analog controller. I sure had fun with a keyboard making Honda Accordians...

Fixed up the motel in town. Has a paved parking-lot and a better layout. Also, the windmill building texture error on the roof isn't coming back... so that SHOULD be fixed.

Another summit road ontop of the ridge on the EAST side of the map was entirely re-worked and straightend out a bit. It's the one that passes across the dam eventually. It was terribly bumpy. I fixed the interchange that leads to it, that's also quite a bit smoother. Don't think you'll get an RV up that hill though it is less steep.

So yeah, bunch of new stuff. Should be a few more days to a week, tops, until I get something uploaded. Definitely ironed out a lot of bumpy stuff though... never realized how rough some of those two-laners were (Oops!).
    Have one more roadway to complete, with hills & goes over a small mountain/large hill as a decal road, so that should be fun.

Still considering re-working the SE side of the map's highway. If you were looking @ the dam from the low side, it'd be the map corner to the right and ahead. If anyone's got bones to pick about that, give a holler. If I decide to do that, that's atleast another full day of work (or two days).
    --- Post updated ---
    100-150hrs of NEW work on this map, hopefully all the texture bugs are out (they are here!), many bumps removed.
    There's 33 new screenshots on my Steam profile for this map. They're the ones with the brown terrain. My Tennessee map is also there, that has green terrain... so yeah, check out the first 33 screens of the new version. It'll be going up to beta-testers within 2 days, and be up here hopefully within a week. Removed a dozen or two mesh roads in favor of decal roads. A dozen miles of roadway & highway (combined) re-leveled and re-graded appropriately for maximum speed. Extremely bumpy side-roads mostly fixed. Two completely new 2-lane roads added, and one new four-lane road that merges with the existing network. One new Trumpet interchange, one new diamond-interchange, and one new hybrid left-hand ramp/misc interchange.
    One of the new roads is a super-windy mountain road, that has very little to keep your car from finding the fast way to the bottom of the mountain. Should be quite a challenge for even seasoned drivers.
    All in all, about a dozen miles of NEW roadway, and about a dozen or so miles of EXISTING roadway has been re-worked.
    --------------
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=655657894

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=655657072

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=655669970

More screen shots are available on my steam profile Beamng.drive screenshots. The first 33 are of this map. Just click the links from within the screenshot links, and browse around you SHOULD be able to find things.

To get in on the beta-test, let me know via PM. Anyone who's already msg'ed in the past will be in. Look for something to beta-test by thurs-friday and possibly a live link going up for the download by saturday-sunday if there are no major issues.
    --- Post updated ---
    Having issues with a compressed disc in my spine, could be a few days here. Please be patient.
    --- Post updated ---
    New beta is released privately to beta testers. Link should go live by saturday after-dinner time (maybe even lunch time if a few folks get back to me in time!). If you've asked for beta-permission now's the time to check your inbox. If you haven't received one, then do feel free to private message. Amount of side-roads doubled as per last official release. Lamp posts have texture, as does tunnel facade, more road textures, etc. Lots more fun, some more jumps (serious ones!). Highway significantly less reliant on MESH roads. AI support is in the works but not implemented currently (same for GPS, don't use it!). Don't crash into the lamp-posts, BeamNG has issues with that. If you do, move the camera (SHIFT+C then WASD), and hit f7 to put car in a new spot if you get stuck (shift+C again to return camera to car). Lots of new places to drive and hours of fun to be had. Mesh roads that DO remain have been significantly enhanced to throw the car less when you drive on/off them. Bridges leveled out quite a bit so that doesn't destabilize the car as much especially when coming into or going out of a corner.
    Good FPS remains, 30-37FPS on a stock 7850 2gb radeon. OC'ed @ 1ghz core nets about 33-40fps (roughly 7870 specs). FPS @ 1920 res, medium-to-high detail settings, on a recent i7 k-series desktop cpu.
    I would recommend atleast a Geforce 750 with GDDR5 vram, or a radeon 7770, 7830, R7 260, or anything else with about 1gb-2gb of vram, and any recent CPU should do. Play @ night for best effect (FPS is about the same).

For those with a potato PC, with rubbish or built-in video or laptops that barely make game-spec, I can put out a low-detail version if there is enough demand for it, that lacks the lamp posts & lights, with much reduced lights in the tunnels (it will come eventually sooner or later!).

Alls I gotta say is you should be fine if you have anything decently recent video-wise.
    Sorry for the delays, but I figured adding more content would make this a more worth-while release, in addition to fixing bugs etc.
    Good things are worth the wait. It is already uploaded, when I get the greenlight from the beta-testers, I will post the link right away.
    --- Post updated ---
    Everything is pretty much finished in the map. Smooth sailing, and lots less mesh roads.
    Thanks to beta testers that helped out. It makes life and the end-result better for everyone.
    TO-DO: AI support (researching waypoints currently), GPS support (waiting for feature maturity).
    Signs are not in yet, I am working on that. Don't expect anything overnight or before the end of the month, tho.
    For those who beta-tested the 2.0 release, with the lump in the tunnel and texture error(s), that's fixed.

For this version:
    A few more supplemental textures, feel free to use them in your map (credit ofcourse, if you will). Includes passing zone graphics for 2-lane side-roads (broken line, half-broken etc) with newer pavement.
    One or two dozen more miles of side-roads. New four-mile stretch of four-lane road in the middle of the map (this is one of the previously unfinished roads that had road-closed signs just N of the dam).
    Complete reworking of 2 interchanges on S/SE side of map when I re-did the highway there. Way better now.
    Can-opener (concrete-topped) bridge remains! It's near the old starting barn from black hills & the retention pond (not the dam). Yes, the surface is intentionally concrete.
    NW corner of highway where it slopes near the wind far and N of there, has all been re-done, as also mesh-roads have been removed from the intersection - though the on/off-ramps are a bit steeper than I'd like them, they work.
    ALL highway bridges significantly de-bumped (leveled), now you can speed over them & not notice.
    Moonhawk vehicle blowing tires over bridge aprons (on/off) should be fixed everywhere. Same for other vehicles.
    Entirely re-did the highway in some spots, namely the E side of the map, in the NE and SE corner (the dam is on E side).
    Added 3 interchanges, one full diamond, one trumpet interchange, one mixed w/left hand on/off.
    General smoothing of many side-roads and highway. Added a few more less-than-level spots with small slopes.
    Retaining walls given slope, less flickering now (still some, very far away, not as detracting from the immersion now).
    Intersections fixed up (cosmetic), Lump in tunnel (beta) removed, texture issues fixed.
    Arrows present now at most intersections of decent capacity. Less vague now which way to go.
    When speeding down the side-road that's four-lane, careful speeding through intersections, they are deliberately tapered.
    There's two spots where riding the center-line where the road is tapered could destabilize the car, that's a Beam issue. Keep in lane to avoid this, it's not bad, and only happens 0.01% of the time you use the road, really.
    Also, try not to ride bridge walls, your car could get stuck, RARELY happens, you have to kind of make it happen, but be careful! Bouncing off them randomly crashing won't cause it though, so not to worry.
    Lamp posts have color now (not orange! Just flat grey works). Tunnel rock facade (roof) has texture (if you didn't have black hills installed it used to be yellow no-texture error - erroneous texture-pointer fixed here).
    DO NOT COLLIDE WITH LAMP POSTS, YOUR CAR WILL GET STUCK, it's a BEAM issue with static object collision.
    (If you get stuck, or in a lamp-post, SHIFT-C to release camera, use WASD keys to move camera to free location, press F7 to move car & press SHIFT-C to re-lock camera to moved vehicle).
    MESH ROADS that remain (though there's less-than half of them now), have been smoothed a bit so it doesn't throw the car going on or off them (or do it as much, some I couldn't get perfect).
    Dirt path infront of the dam is finished, now you can get across the river @ a narrow shallow spot. Road closed signs moved.
    Original terrain by Ouerbacker, lights from Ghost's map, some default Beam assets used.

MEGA.nz link with V 2.01b 4/9/2016
    PLEASE REMOVE OLD VERSIONS 1ST. (Look for hiway2.zip for the flawed original, or original re-release Nevada_Interstate.zip, or internal beta release Nevada_Interstate_R2.zip and delete those)

Nevada Interstate 2.01b.zip, 414.8mb in size (too big for forums!).
    https://mega.nz/#!HN0GESCI!CCJkTVQ9Xw1mSurdk5ag-7dKo1fL4fCgS3tyG3a_5F8

Feedback is welcome, as is constructive criticism. If you enjoyed the original, there's more of what you like and less of what you don't. As a bonus, I added a truckload of side-roads on the mountains. Do have fun, and happy crashing.
    Oh, and there's about a half-dozen more jumps, too (7-8 jumps added that aren't a road, total - some easier than others).
    Some turns are intentionally banked beautifully, some are intentionally reverse-banked (the wrong way!) so you slide off mountain roads. Yep, it's challenging in spots, don't be careless, or you'll be the proud new owner of your very own Honda Accordion.

FPS STAYS THE SAME! i7 cpu & Radeon 2gb 7850 (R7 265 equivalent) nets about 25-40+fps depending on how it's clocked.
    Decent intel CPU & Nvidia 760 2gb will net you around 30-60fps. 750ti will net you about what the Radeon above did.
    If you run @ 1920 x ???? resolution, let me know what kind of FPS you're getting.
    AMD cpu users can expect to be 30-40fps at most due to how Beam uses the FPU (not my map). Higher GHZ helps, with those.
    If there is enough demand, I will make a fps-optimized version of this map, with no lamps, or light-sources except minimal lighting in tunnels, though it would be a one-off thing and not get any more future optimizations. If you can't run this, list your CPU, RAM, Video card make/model and OS version, and I'll see what I can do.

Overall, I have aimed to make this fun for everyone. Do enjoy. There should be something for everyone here! If it's still too bumpy, go over to the vehicle downloads, and download the Buick.
    --- Post updated ---
    The sequel is coming!
    You supported this, you liked/loved this map, but you wanted MORE. More miles of highway in a beautiful loop around the terrain, more variety of intersections/interchanges, more hills, more jumps, bigger bridges, more beautiful desert terrain!

Well, it's well underway with over 22.5 miles of highway already created - have not even gone all the way around the map yet. In a few more weeks, I'll have enough side roads created to give this new up-and-coming Cali map a chance and being beta'ed. This will be a seperate map from Nevada Interstate but still stand-alone (you won't need one to run the other etc). This new map is a whole map from scratch.
    Look for California Interstate in the coming weeks. This is a RURAL California map just like Nevada was.
    Everything you loved in Nevada will be present in California, too.
    Everyone who chimed in to beta Nevada should look forward to the AI beta test for Nevada coming in the next few days* (it will be open to the public to download right away because it's a simple update), and BEAM had the bug fixed now preventing release. Also look forward in a few weeks (during first week of May hopefully!) to the California Interstate - The Super Highway (TSH) beta test.
    Thanks to all the folks who supported Nevada Interstate map from the beginning and not forgetting those who've popped in during the course of development. Due to the popularity of this map being showcased on sites like YOUTUBE, I've decided to go ahead and get finished up on the AI support for Nevada Interstate. It works in 95% of the places, and the AI runs most of the highway.

*Should have something up this weekend.

Seeing people enjoying what I worked so hard to create for myself and others is plenty of thanks enough. This is the fun of modding.
    --Cheers & Happy Beaming.

#77 bob.blunderton, Apr 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 6
  18. AwesomeRacer456

AwesomeRacer456
    Expand Collapse

@bob.blunderton, I got a problem.
    Untitled.png
    I cleared my cache and my mods expect yours.

19. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

I think you may have done something to the game files when clearing things out (not pointing a finger btw). I don't know why that would happen, or how. The error box doesn't look at all like anything referencing my map. Have you tried reinstalling the game itself? I would think that this would be good to post into the forums under help and support like "I cleared out my cached files and THIS happened". Keep your logs handy.

20. silvermanblu

silvermanblu
    Expand Collapse

The ai works sort of likes to rush thru town and turn around and run its path back. I have no idea how the ai system works so yeah. If you start it on the highway it will just suicide off it and rush across the desert to reach that stretch of road. Great fun though, kudos

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice