Terrain resolution

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by FunkyHunk, Nov 14, 2013.

1. FunkyHunk

FunkyHunk
    Expand Collapse

Is there any way of increasing the terrain resolution on an existing map?
    Or is that set in stone after it is created?

2. DrowsySam

DrowsySam
    Expand Collapse

If you go into the editor and select the terrain then change the "Square Size" I believe it is, that will make the map bigger/smaller, but I'm certain you can't change the actual resolution.

3. Miura

Miura
    Expand Collapse

You could use "Export Terrain Heightmap", then in some image editor double the resolution (up to 4096 pixels) of the heightmap and alpha maps it exported. Delete the old terrain object and import the new terrain with half the original "meters per pixel" and same height scale. Reassign the materials and you should have a terrain that looks the same but editable with higher resolution.

Make a backup before attempting that..

4. FunkyHunk

FunkyHunk
    Expand Collapse

Square size made the map taller/shorter it looks like.

The height maps and alpha maps is already 4096 in size.
    It seems no matter what I do, I can't get the terrain resolution larger it seems.
    It's annoying with the large grid size when trying to make nice roads without jagged edges in near vertical walls.

I understand how he did it in the Oceanfront map, that heightmap is 4096, and still that has really small grids, cause he set the square size to 0.1.
    The map is also small.
    So it looks like it's not possible.

Unless a dev has something to say about that :p

5. NINJAHOBNOB

NINJAHOBNOB
    Expand Collapse

Fairly sure 4096 is the max Tourque3D supports.

6. Miura

Miura
    Expand Collapse

It's always a compromise between resolution and size. Larger than 4096 pixel heightmaps probably would not even run on most computers, so I think that's the limit for now. Until we get support for tiled heightmaps, so we could use many smaller heightmaps. Last time I tried that, only one terrain had collision.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice