Terrain depth file not working?

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Kimmykix, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Kimmykix

Kimmykix
    Expand Collapse

Attached Files:

• screenshot_00078.png
    • Terrain depth.PNG
  2. reginald

reginald
    Expand Collapse

ive not played with the depth file too much but the filesize of yours looks small for a 4096 heightmap.. ? forgive the simple question.. but it's also 4096?

3. Kimmykix

Kimmykix
    Expand Collapse

That pic was taken when i was using a smaller resolution depth file, ive tried many different sizes including 4096.

4. reginald

reginald
    Expand Collapse

well afaik only 4096 will work on a 4096 terrain. just tried here on my 4096 map and seems to work fine.

attached working for you?

Attached Files:

• DesertDunes_0.ter.depth.png
  5. Kimmykix

Kimmykix
    Expand Collapse

huh... that one you provided works...odd, because its literally no different then the 4096 one I tried earlier... thanks anyway i guess

How did you make that one? Ive been saving using Paint.NET and selecting 8-bit when saving.

6. reginald

reginald
    Expand Collapse

yeah it must be greyscale.. not RGB.. you can have just grey... on an RGB image but that does not mean it's greyscale. I use photoshop here.. but you need to make sure the image mode is set to greyscale first.

7. Kimmykix

Kimmykix
    Expand Collapse

Well i literally have been using my heightmap image to create my depth map, so it should be greyscale to begin with... unless Paint.net doesnt save as greyscale...time for some googling.

- - - Updated - - -

So apparantly I cant properly save anything as greyscale with Paint.net, and I dont feel like downloading Photoshop, especially since I never used it before anyway...so im pretty screwed. (the file you posted that works is a little too deep, and I was planning on using my heightmap inverted so the sand would be a litter deeper at higher elevations.)

8. reginald

reginald
    Expand Collapse

gimp is the tool you want i think.. not used it.. but its free and supports 8/16 bit greyscale for this purpose.

9. Kimmykix

Kimmykix
    Expand Collapse

I've used GIMP before and didn't like it, hence why I use Paint.net... I guess ill reinstall gimp just for this.

10. LJFHutch

LJFHutch
    Expand Collapse
    Environment Artist
    BeamNG Team

As said you have to have a greyscale png. Another thing is that the image cannot have an alpha channel or it won't load and the map will have no depth.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice