1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Sudden increase in fps( with screen issues)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by mrkelkel, Nov 21, 2013.

1. mrkelkel

mrkelkel
    Expand Collapse

Well I bought a Fujitsu LH772 laptop recently, which has an Intel i5 3230M CPU which runs at 2.6 ghz
    CPU.png
    and a nVidia GeForce GT 640M LE which I overclocked ( I have a laptop cooler).
    GPU.gif
    It runs BeamNG at 25-30 fps, which is acceptable by my standards. However, when I played BeamNG for the 3rd time, black dots started to appear on my screen randomly, and my fps rose to 35-40. After about 10 seconds, the dots disappeared and my fps dropped back to 25 fps again.

Does anyone know why it happened? I was using the Akron Motor Speedway terrain by skiper.

2. phipck

phipck
    Expand Collapse

the black dots will be error artifacts. These happen when your graphics card is at or beyond the limit of its overclock ability. Essentially the black dots are the result of excessive stress being done to your graphics chip and you don't want that happening too often!

From my experience (im no expert) it sounds like you have overclocked your card beyond its safe maximum overclock. The card is trying to run at 35+fps all the time because of the setting you have made but is being held back by either thermal or TPD safety features resulting in your lower 25fps. This limitation is a good thing as your card would probably cook itself without those features.

I would drop the overclock down to a point where you no longer get the black dots. there are a few very good guides to overclocking, but small changes and keeping temperatures low is the most important safety factor which isn't ideal in a laptop.

heres some good advice from one youtuber

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta6xdTRlRWE

3. mrkelkel

mrkelkel
    Expand Collapse

Thanks! I think its the nVidia optimus software that's throttling back the gpu. Which one should I reduce? Memory mhz or core mhz?

4. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

I don't have any experience with mobile GPU's, but desktop GPU's usually do better with a higher core.

5. phipck

phipck
    Expand Collapse

if you watch the video you will learn all the reasons for the changes you can make. Personally I would put it back to standard first, then look at tweeking the core clock if you are absolutely intent on overclocking. The core clock will have the biggest immediate affect on performance, it is also a little more forgiving if pushed to its limit. Ram is a lot more sensitive to tweeks, push it too far and it will throw the toys out of the pram. You also don't often get nearly as much performance increase in per MHz increase with ram.

either way, watch the video and you should gain a reasonable understanding of how it all works :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice