Suburban house - Help required (SketchUp to Blender, importing to game)

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Stonee, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Stonee

Stonee
    Expand Collapse

Suburban house - Help needed (SketchUp to Blender, importing to game)

So I decided to try and make a house model for the game, as that is something I feel the game lacks. I was adviced to first create the house model in SketchUp (As I am familiar with that program), and then import it to Blender. Here is a model I put together to try this out:
    CA House.png

So, here is where I need some guidance. The problem occurs when importing the model into Blender.

CA House Blender.png

I export the model from SketchUp as a COLLADA (.dae) file, then import it into Blender.
    Now, to the problem:

CA House Blender1.png

How in the world do you add textures to this thing? Keep in mind, I just got this program yesterday, but I cannot seem to find a tutorial that applies to this exact problem! All I need is stucco for the walls, roof texture and some solid colors. I don't even know if this is the right place to ask, but you guys seem to know your stuff.

Also, the reason I'm posting this here is so that I can upload pictures as I progress, I just need to get through this hoop first

*Edit*

I tried adding textures in SketchUp, but as you can see, only parts of the textures appear when I render the new model. The textures also flicker when you rotate the model, and I don't particularly like the standard roof textures, which is why I want them to be applied in Blender. I am guessing there is some magic quick-fix for this, but I sure haven't found it yet.
    CA House Blender2.png

#1 Stonee, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  2. jvictorgt

jvictorgt
    Expand Collapse

Same problem here...

3. Axi-Dent

Axi-Dent
    Expand Collapse

Ok, with SU I would advise installing 'play-up tools' might help... I've made a few houses in SU and it takes time & patience and practice... you'll get it, keep hacking away... for inspiration here's a couple of videos of some SU house models I made for the cry-engine 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktcz1ERt8Gc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNARasb7E6M

They are unlisted on my youtube channel, but check some of my other 3D creation videos, for adding textures in Blender I wouldn't know as I'm new to that myself but theres a 'tut' for everything out there on the tube, good luck dude.

4. theWOODman

theWOODman
    Expand Collapse

From what I understand, when you export from Sketchup as an object file, it doesn't merge all the vertices. If there's any flickering, it may be because you have double polys on the same plane ( multiple surfaces ). I would just go through and do a thorough mesh clean up. Make sure you don't have any extra polys, vertices, or edges. Not sure how to check that in Blender.

Once you've cleaned up your mesh, you'll have to UV map it so you can apply texture maps. I know that the Blender website has multitudes of tutorials to help. Just be patient and enjoy learning.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice