Stress tests

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by MrLeRien, Feb 25, 2018.

1. MrLeRien

MrLeRien
    Expand Collapse

Hi,
    So, i wanted to do a thread about stress tests and compare other ones.

RULES:

-Each user needs to post a screenshot of his own stress test (If not, tell me what happend)
    -No spam
    -No Off-topic/Chatting (PM exists in this forum)
    -Don't post stress tests that's not yours
    -Tell your CPU and if it's overclocked or not

This is my stress test. I have a overclocked AMD FX-8300 at 3.9 Ghz.

#1 MrLeRien, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  2. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

I didn't make a screenshot, but with my I7 7700K on stock clock and Silentiumpc Grandis 2 xe1436 cooler it has started to overheat (around 100 degrees Celsius) after about 5 minutes.
    I don't really know if I dod something wrong, but with this cooler and stock clock it should have stayed cool.

3. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Done something *hugely* won't to get that high.

Did you apply thermal paste properly? By which I mean, actually using some (seen many forget) but only using a tiny amount (seen people dump entire tube in, you want a pea sized amount). Tightened the securing nuts for it properly?

Get some IPA on a cotton swap. Remove cooler. Clean the top of the CPU and underside of cooler with the IPA, dry out properly with a lint free cloth (those little glasses cloths are great), tiny pea sized ball of paste in centre of cpu, spread it a tad if you want, bolt the cooler down *tight*.

4. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Everything has been applied correctly. While gaming it has no troubles, but at 100 percent load it has troubles cooling down. (After tooring the test off it has cooled down to 40 degrees instantly. So it might be the thermal paste.

5. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

A cooler like that, 40 degrees is still very hot for idle

6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

This is very much true.

Of course 7700K runs hotter and some claim it has bad thermal paste or application from factory so that delidding helps a lot.

However if you compare to my slow i7 skylake you can see how small amount of heat this puts out:
    upload_2018-2-26_14-40-26.png
    Idle temp is around 26-27C right now.

OT:
    My stress test is BeamNG, I'm running so many hours of it (over 50 hours a week) that it does classify I think, putting many vehicles on map does make quite bit of CPU load too.

After last Bios update I did this has been rock solid system, no more random shutdown after high load.

7. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

I'll keep it like that till it starts to cause problems, I can do pretty much anything in beam including spwaning 20 cars and letting the ai do the work for 3 hours and temps stay at 40 degrees.

8. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

I7 2600k overclocked to 4.2Ghz @ 1.21v v-core. Stress tested with intel burn test (I prefer linpack stress testing), passed set to maximum peaking at 79°c with a hyper 212 evo in a case that to be honest doesnt have the best airflow (Lian Li PC-A10B) Could have sworn I took a screen shot, guess not.

9. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

It is pointless to keep test running forever I think, there is not going to happen anything.
    upload_2018-2-27_10-56-38.png

Out of curiosity I set CPU fans to minimum they will go, sadly new bios + fan control version is not allowing fans to be stopped, but when set to minimum maximum CPU temp is 65C it just won't go higher. Usually I set fans so that they ramp up with load to keep VRM nice and cool.
    upload_2018-2-27_11-22-11.png

I guess Thermaltake Macho Rev.B is quite good cooler then.

Two other fans are for airflow on GPU/SSD area and for HDD area.

75C is said to be safe temp for Skylake, but I try to keep below 60C normally, it does not take much of increase to fan speed to do that, CPU temp is more determined by heat pipe moving heat than fan speed it seems.

Overclocking of course increases temps a lot, but no point with this system, maybe in a future.

10. Alex [ITA]

Alex [ITA]
    Expand Collapse

I stress test my CPU and RAM with Prime95, so no photo of the result, BUT I have a result of Superposition at 1080p Medium:
    Superposition_Benchmark_v10_13185_1520098899.png
    GPU Utilization: 99/100%
    CPU Utilization: around 40%

CPU Used: Intel Core i5 7600K at stock speeds with turbo @4,2GHz
    GPU Used: ASUS ROG nVidia GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX OC

11. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Heat pipes in skylake aren't the bottleneck. Intel's IHS is thermally bonded to the CPU die with the crappiest solder paste around, too much of it and also the silicon glue securing the IHS is too thick so the die doesn't actually make contact, it's pure reliant on the thermal paste, really piss poor from Intel really.
    Fix is relid the chip which isn't easy. Plenty of benchmarks showing that you can knock literally 20 celcius off the core temps doing a relid which is just insane. It shouldn't be this way. AMD have soldered IHS hence their currently lower temperatures even for similar TDP.

12. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Oh yes, I forgot about that, Skylake is not even the worst in that, 7th generation and 8th generation are much worse.

For me it is absolutely same if I keep fans at max or bit over minimum, temps are same, at minimum temps rise a bit, but still far from getting hot, so not much point to bother with modding CPU.

Tom's hardware had test of thermal pastes, they tested also tooth paste, Intel's cost cutting is like using a toothpaste, it is terrible bad and they probably know it.

For manufacturer product is best when it fails right after warranty period, so makes sense for them to make cooling poor.

For consumer that sucks indeed.

We used to have CPUs without lids for a long time, kinda would like to have that situation back, good paste and cooler would then have possibility to keep things cool much easier and I could try to run passive cooling.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice