Experimental "Stop AI on LUA trigger - regardless of mode"

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by krallopian, Feb 18, 2019.

1. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

Hoping someone can benefit from this, as it's something I REALLY needed for my map:

Thanks to @thomatoes50 for hooking me up.

What this code does is stops the car from driving when it hits the trigger. I've been building the Castle Run map to host various situations all controlled by AI, and I need the AI to race from point A to point B and get there, regardless of how banged up they get. So I'd put a bate car at the end and set the ai to CHASE, the trouble is that when they'd get to the end point they'd just keep ramming the target car, so I put the target car under ground on a hidden platform, NOW the AI just gets above and floors to forwards and reverse.

SO I used MANUAL mode and made a waypoint, set the manual ai to that waypoint, and off they'd go! Albeit FAR more careful than in chase mode. Trouble NOW is that when they so much as touch a curb or a rail and get a slightly bent wheel, they can't drive worth a darn and try to finish the 16km track going 4km/hr, ruins the whole video. ALSO after testing I found that no matter what I did the AI would stay in their ai path lane, so if they took a sharp corner and would otherwise benefit from going in the next lane, they refused to, and would either slam on the brakes and backup, or just crash into a wall trying to stop. Again, ruining the video. So do I set their RISK to lower than 1? Then they just driven incredibly carefully which makes for a very boring video.

So NOW, I can set the AI to CHASE, with a high risk factor, they'll get banged up around corners, keep driving, and once they get to my finish line, they hit this trigger, and STOP!

PERFECT.
    I cannot explain how much this has been stressing me out, the whole purpose of the map was to show off ai driving crazy, and it was either, "don't drive crazy and make it, but boring" or "drive crazy, but never actually finish." Now I have the best of both!

@Crash Hard 01 I'm hoping you can benefit from this =)

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. CN877

CN877
    Expand Collapse

I'm no map creator but this is very interesting, glad you are now able to get the AI working how you want :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. CrashHard

CrashHard
    Expand Collapse

This can be usefull indeed, I will test it when I get some time, thank you for the heads up :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Gamergull

Gamergull
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Dang, Chase AI is really good at racing? That's cool to hear. Great work on unlocking the mysteries of AI :p .

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

Chase AI will be more aggressive from the start. Both AI modes set to 2.0 risk factor are neck and neck until corners are involved, then the one on CHASE will slide more until it hits the ai path in the next lane, then start taking that path. Where the MANUAL mode will slide out of it's lane, and if it gets TOO far out, it'll slam on the brakes and try to turn around and get to the missed node. That ruins most high speed sharp corners. Also the MANUAL mode ai gets a bent bumper and drives like grandma, where CHASE mode is all, "Gotta get'm gotta get'm gotta get'm!!!" and doesn't give up as easily. So now I have the manual mode capability of "get to place and STOP" while still having the "gotta get'm" attitude! =D
    --- Post updated ---

That video there shows the ai in CHASE mode - see how it drifts around the corner and switches lanes? On MANUAL mode the ai just gave up and turned into the wall while trying to turn around, making the car give up basically.
    --- Post updated ---
    By using the new AI trigger, I can set them to CHASE and not worry about them having to use the guardrail to make the turn and thus widened the whole corner now to let them get more slide in!

Attached Files:

• fixedCorner.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice