1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Steering wheel/shifter recommendations sought

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jamespetts, Aug 4, 2020.

1. jamespetts

jamespetts
    Expand Collapse

I have recently purchased BeamNG, and it seems very fun and interesting. However, I find that I cannot sensibly drive a car with a keyboard or joystick. I have an old Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback wheel in my loft from years ago, but the clamp for this will not fit on my desk:

desk-2020.jpg

also, it does not have a clutch pedal, and I do want to be able to use a clutch pedal for cars with a manual transmission.

Looking into other wheels recommended on this forum, it is difficult to work out whether their clamps will fit on a very thick desk such as the one that I use.

Can anyone assist with this and recommend something that comes with or can work with a clutch pedal that is likely to be able to fit on a desk like this?

I do not want to get into complex stands/cockpits, etc., as I just want to play this now and again to relax, so would prefer something that will just fit on my desk if possible and that I can easily store in a cupboard when not being used.

Thank you in advance.

2. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

It's a tough choice really... As far as I know, there isn't anything that can clamp onto such thick desk without modifications to the clamps, so in your case you would probably need to open the middle drawer a bit to have the clamps from the steering wheel slide on it as otherwise I see no way of doing it. As for wheel recommendations, I think the only good one is a Logitech G29 (the Playstation variant). It's not cheap, as it comes at ~$270 with a shifter, but it definitely is fun & seeing that you want to use it once in a while, I think it will fit your particular tough case well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. hubert2005 kam

hubert2005 kam
    Expand Collapse

something cheap as beamng dosent have good force feedback like a logitech g920,g29,g27 or a thrustmaster t150

• Like Like x 1
  4. jamespetts

jamespetts
    Expand Collapse

Interesting thank you both. I had not considered opening the drawer. I will have to give that some further thought.

Does anyone have any idea about whether the clamps on something like a Thrustmaster TR300 GT can be modified in some way to fit a wide desk like this?

5. hubert2005 kam

hubert2005 kam
    Expand Collapse

i dont know if Thrustmaster TR300 GT has the same clamp as the thrustmaster t300 gt rs which has the same clamp as mine fanatec cls i asume so if yes then you can buy a longer bolt for the clamp

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. jamespetts

jamespetts
    Expand Collapse

Interesting - thank you. May I ask where one can obtain this longer piece?

7. hubert2005 kam

hubert2005 kam
    Expand Collapse

you can buy it in hardware stores just get the diameter of the bolt on the wheel and buy the longest one you can

• Like Like x 1
  8. jamespetts

jamespetts
    Expand Collapse

Thank you - may I ask what the name of the part that I am looking for would be?

9. SquarebodyChevy

SquarebodyChevy
    Expand Collapse

What is the difference between the PlayStation and XBOX versions? I have the XBOX version...

10. hubert2005 kam

hubert2005 kam
    Expand Collapse

it looks like this i have im not sure whats it i think its a hex bolt
    --- Post updated ---
    its a m6 bolt for the thrustmaster 300 so it might be the same for the Thrustmaster TR300 GT

• Like Like x 1
  11. jamespetts

jamespetts
    Expand Collapse

Excellent, that is very helpful, thank you.

12. esesel

esesel
    Expand Collapse

if you have the money to spare there is no going wrong with fanatec

13. Rainvest

Rainvest
    Expand Collapse

where can you get a g29 for under 300 dollars? i've been on the hunt for a good wheel that is under 300 and it's nearly impossible with it being rona season

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. DocOlds

DocOlds
    Expand Collapse

You should be able to remove that drawer and mount anything Thrustmaster without a longer bolt, my desk has a pullout keyboard tray and the clamp fits between it and the desktop without issue. I doubt a longer bolt is the answer since the bottom of that drawer section is likely very thin wood.

The Thrustmaster TMX Pro is $250 on amazon right now, no stick shifter but it does have a clutch peddle and paddle shifters. The Thrustmaster add-on shifter is quite expensive, so if you really want a shifter I suggest a different brand.

• Like Like x 1
  15. jamespetts

jamespetts
    Expand Collapse

Thank you - that is very helpful. I have tried this and the drawer does pull out fairly easily. As to the shifter, I have an old Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback joystick, which I believe can be turned into a shifter with some third party software. I will test that before purchasing anything.

Thank you again.

16. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

the only real difference are the bottom buttons on the wheel rim itself. The Xbox version lacks a few compared to the PS variant

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. ClassicMike

ClassicMike
    Expand Collapse

yeah, and the LED rev lights

• Like Like x 2
  18. jamespetts

jamespetts
    Expand Collapse

I have managed to get my old Sidewinder Force Feedback wheel working on my desk by pulling out the drawer as recommended - unfortunately, I cannot get the force feedback to work as I have lost the power adapter for it.

Driving with a wheel is infinitely better than attempting to drive with a joystick, even where the wheel is over 20 years old and lacking force feedback.

I am thinking that I might get a secondhand G29, as I am not sure that I would play BeamNG seriously or often enough to justify the cost of a more expensive setup.

Can anyone envisage any particular problems with fitting the G29 onto the desk with the central drawer pulled out?

Thank you all for your help so far.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

Don't think there will be any. The clamps can open a good amount & aren't standing out much, so you will be able to have the drawer quite tucked in instead of having it wide open

20. jamespetts

jamespetts
    Expand Collapse

That is helpful, thank you. I have managed to get a good price on a secondhand G29 on eBay, so I will see how it goes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice