Spintires/Mudrunner/Snowrunner Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by ManfredE3, Oct 4, 2017.

1. CN877

CN877
    Expand Collapse

New features seem promising,

Hopefully it eventually sees a Steam release so I can get it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Copunit12

Copunit12
    Expand Collapse

I doubt it will come to steam.

3. CN877

CN877
    Expand Collapse

If Epic's contract only lasts for 1 year, it may eventually come on Steam.

4. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

5. G-Farce

G-Farce
    Expand Collapse

Honestly I don't blame him for ripping his own work LOL

6. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

8. G-Farce

G-Farce
    Expand Collapse

Pretty crazy how Now we get free DLC for a game over 5 years old that hasn't had much in dlc like that. I hope this sets a trend for other publishers, it's cool to see fresh updates! I'm thinking they are doing it to show that MR isn't going to take over the entire userbase, we want you to play the original because we think it's got more potential, hope they prove us right!

9. Copunit12

Copunit12
    Expand Collapse

I view it more as a apology for the uninformed audience- buyers (abandoning the game) and for those who are in the know a we are back (we will give you a small confidence booster).

10. G-Farce

G-Farce
    Expand Collapse

Oh right yeah that could be it! Either way it works out for me. I haven't bought mudrunner and don't plan on it. Maybe Mudrunner 2/3?

11. default0.0player

default0.0player
    Expand Collapse

Snowrunner is Mudrunner meshslap

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

The fact that it's a new game engine alone disproves that, let alone the completely different take on gameplay and a very different vehicle roster...

13. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

Oovee announced a Chernobyl DLC. 1 game map, 1 proving ground map, 2 trucks (Zil-157 and Maz 505), and a geiger-counter. Vehicles will take damage if exposed to too much radiation.

• Like Like x 5
  14. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

All right, so Snowrunner has been out for PC for about 24 hours so I figured I should put my opinions here if anyone on the forums is thinking about getting it. I pre-ordered the premium edition, so I got 1 extra truck and 1 extra scout. I'm writing this assuming y'all are familiar with what the game is as far what their video trailers and all covered.

In short, this game perplexes me. It feels like the dev team that knew what they were doing started it, got 90% there, then a group with zero investment in this whatsoever finished it. Considering the current health pandemic, that's honestly possibly what actually happened (this was the given reason for at least one of my issues with the game). It's kinda what happened with MR too, considering how absolutely clueless their marketing team was and the fact that they made the Chevy NAPCO FWD and to this day have not fixed it... The core elements are great, basically the best bits of ST/MR and ETS. The game is visually beautiful, a good vehicle roster with detailed interiors. If you liked ST/MR you'll probably prefer this since it's just that stuff but more, with even more coming in future DLC (which will be accompanied by free updates. More info here). But the finishing touches are all completely messed up.

Epic Store: As we've all known, the only way to get it on PC is through the Epic store. May or may not be a permanent exclusive, no word on that. It's already been discussed and we've all made up our minds how we feel about it already, no point in discussing it further.
    Wheel Support: The wheel support is just... Minimal. They said they weren't able to finish this because of the health crisis and it'll be fixed in "a few weeks", but it's inexcusably bad. Even the G29/G920, one of, if not the, most popular wheel for the target audience, is just a mess. No support for the shifter, auto-reverse is locked on (so there's no way to brake other than the parking brake, just go forward or reverse), need to clutch in to turn on your headlights... Force feedback on any wheel is either completely broken or brakes after you tab out, forcing you to restart the game. Don't try to rebind anything either. Even if that does work, your camera will probably randomly get bound to one of your foot pedals. This experience isn't limited to me either, it makes up a fair number of comments on the Reddit thread and a lot of comments on their forums. The fact that they messed this up so bad when both prior titles had wheel support is simply astonishing, regardless of the current circumstances.
    General issues:
    -Some missions can't actually be completed. You take the cargo to the destination and there's just no way to confirm the mission.
    -If you've ever played ST/MR you've probably at least sometimes took damage when traveling quickly because you hit something that doesn't seem to exist. This is common in SR. If you're going fast on a dirt road you'll probably at some point you'll take a fair bit of damage for no apparent reason.
    -As for the UI, it's way better than the older games but still has some issues. In short, after an hour you'll probably want to disable the tips, and the function menu is even worse than it was in the two prior titles, which is saying something.
    Driving model: If I understood everything correctly, the game still runs on HAVOK but has a new physics engine for the special bits. However, driving at high speeds still sucks. Ever drive in top gear on asphalt on ST/MR? Same deal. Driving at high speeds is bad.

I just mentioned the bad stuff since the good stuff is basically they delivered what they promised in terms of game-play, vehicle content, maps, and graphics. Also, loading times are great. Barely notice them. But there's only like 4 trucking facts that they cycle through, which is incredibly odd. Why include any at all if there's so few?
    The core game is solid, it's definitely a lot of fun. I doubt the driving model and functions menu will ever be fixed, and the tips don't affect me anymore since the game is self-explanatory as long as you know what a differential and transfer case are. The wheel support, while shockingly bad, is promised to be fixed in the near future and it's usable with a G29, even if you have to shift up to brake because that's the parking brake, and there's no foot brake... That just leaves the Epic store issue. That's definitely an issue for many. No way around that other than buy a console or hope it comes to steam after a year or so.

I know this forum has a tendency to automatically assume any DLC is a predatory micro transaction and start a hate train, so let me talk about that...

The base game is $40USD, $60USD for the game + season pass. That's exactly the price as Wreckfest + it's season pass. For $40 you're getting a full game that has as much content as a standard $60 AAA title. For nothing more than that, you'll continue to get free updates. For $20 more than that, you'll get 4 DLC phases filled with extra goodies like vehicles, cargo, maps, and customization. Assuming all of this is held to the same content standard as the base game (admittedly a big assumption, but that's always the case when you buy a pre-order/season pass), that seems fair to me. There's no loot boxes/micro transactions, no $60 OP game breaking DLC trucks (looking at you Wargaming), etc... If you want a full game, you buy the full game. If you want more than that, then for $20 you get more, and you can watch the video I linked earlier to decide if it's worth it or not to you. No one is forcing you to buy more stuff, you will not be disadvantaged if you do not buy it, you are not missing any core features if you do not buy it (if you want to make a fuss about the logging situation you can, but it'll be more of making a fuss for the sake of it than any actual problems). I see absolutely zero reason to go on a rant about how selling goods is predatory and every service and product should be free. Not that that's ever stopped anyone.

#74 ManfredE3, Apr 29, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Cutlass

Cutlass
    Expand Collapse

[QUOTE="ManfredE3, post: 1155088, member: 136930"snip[/QUOTE]
    I have it :wink:

16. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

The main future of Spin Tires is of course the terrain deformation which got me thinking.. In Torque3d (which the Beamng game engine is based off of) and i assume this might be the thing used for all vehicle particle stuff in Beamng, you can connect a particle emitter to the player.
    Would that mean that in Spin Tires theyve connected the actual game engine terrain deformation tool to the player and in that case would something like that be possible for Beamg... I have no need whatsoever for it in beamng, dont take me wrong, its just a thought. Also if that is possibly the case with Spin Tires i can see why the terrain size would have a direct relation to the deformation since that has a set resolution and that will effect the effect so to speak.

EDIT:

Found an old Terrain Deformer for the original TGEA (pre-T3D game engine) and it apparently does what i thought it could do. Fixing that to the wheels of a vehicle should be possible and that would make it possible to have terrain deformation BUT i guess this needs some proper updating or even it might not be possible with BeamNGs engine.

That and plenty of other interesting stuff such as terrain tiling (for hokking up several maps/terrains together) can be found here:

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!ABb6u2t2fGgLzfw&id=518AF81584B2AE28!1615&cid=518AF81584B2AE28

#76 Brother_Dave, May 8, 2020
    Last edited: May 12, 2020
  17. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

Oovee Spintires released a free vehicle pack the other day:
    -MAZ 500/509 (2 seperate trucks. Chernobyl DLC already had a MAZ 505, so now we have 3 Maz 500 variations)
    -Some variant of the ZiL 130. Not sure which specific varient this is. So between the DLC and base game we have what, 4 variations of the 130 now?..
    -A tractor like the yumz 6a. Not sure if it's specifically trying to be that one, haven't bothered taking much of a look at it. Still scared from it's apperance in Mudrunner. I prefer it's Snowrunner fate.
    -A couple of trailers

Also, they announced the next DLC. Not sure if it's free or not. SHERP 4x4 ATV and ARK 10x10 ATV (yes, licensed... So probably a paid DLC) as well as some game mechanics to support them, including amphibious vehicle support.

Also, Snowrunner phase 1 part 1 test servers are up. New winter maps with breakable ice, mobile watchtower scout trailer, AWD for the GMC, an older Ford F750 (licensed), and a GAZ 66 (not licensed).

18. G-Farce

G-Farce
    Expand Collapse

I really like how spintires is giving out free dlc, doesn't make how they treated their developer right for me

19. default0.0player

default0.0player
    Expand Collapse

Well, just search for 'substance' key word in various Snowrunner discussion forum, and you can tell that snow is meshslapped mud. Snow chains work mediocre on, well, snow, but chains make ice as tractive as tarmac. IRL snow chains don't magically convert ice to tarmac but they are very effective on snow.
    In comparison to Mudrunner, Snowrunner is more arcadey and more grindy, each region needs at least 50 hours to complete and it gets repetitive pretty fast. Content-wise, paid DLC paid DLC paid DLC paid DLC paid DLC paid DLC paid DLC paid DLC. Not to mention Saber/Focus likely backstabbed Oovee and make Spintires(the origial game) unavailable on Steam.

I'm not saying Snowrunner is a bad game, at least this isn't a game full of micro-transaction, the DLCs are not that expensive and you only need to pay once(season pass)

#79 default0.0player, Oct 23, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice