Spintires/Mudrunner/Snowrunner Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by ManfredE3, Oct 4, 2017.

1. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

Discussion thread for Pavel Zagrebelny's/Saber Interactive games: Spintires, published by Oovee Game Studios, and Mudrunner & Snowrunner, published by Focus Home Interactive.
    Has anyone heard of this project? Apparently whoever is behind Spintires now (can't be bothered with that issue over the publisher and devs fighting) is making a repackaged Spintires. As far as I can tell by the website and trailer, it is just a big update titled "Mud runner, a Spintires game". Pre-order now for 10% off, game comes out October 31st for $27. Owners of Spintires get an additional 50% off.

It doesn't add much as far as I can tell. A couple new vehicles (they claim 19 but I am convinced they are counting some barely modified versions of vehicles as unique) along with challenges, truck addons, maps, and "multiplayer" (not sure if it will be improved multiplayer or it's the same as Spintires and they are just listing it as a selling point). They claim there have been many improvements in graphics and physics. They describe this standalone game as a "huge upgrade" and assure readers that it is "more than an enhanced edition" (worrying that they feel the need to say that). They mention it as the ultimate edition but have renamed it, are selling it as a separate game, and changed enough for me to be confused what this is even supposed to be (seperate game/paid update/stand alone edition). Do they eve know themselves?

I love Spintires and for $13.50 I think I can look at this as just a DLC. I've bought worse value DLC before so it isn't that bad I guess (Cities Skylines, looking at you). Overall I think this is a rather sleazy business model and a difficult decision for me to support it, so I am not sure if I will get it or not. Plus, it is Spintires. It will just be abandoned and replaced by another similar project in time. Ironic that I just talked about BeamNG's competitors doing this earlier today...

#1 ManfredE3, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Copunit12

Copunit12
    Expand Collapse

The dev company went under and the publisher is trying to cover their own overheads and save their reputation in the stock market.

3. REDSTER-85

REDSTER-85
    Expand Collapse

hello, Spintires Mudrunner is being developed by Saber Interactive, Oovee is out, however, Pavel, the original creator, is lead developer, Mudrunner is being published by Focus Home Interactive, which have several games under there built in terms of publishing

4. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

Good to know the dev situation. Anyone think this is going to turn out different and actually get continued attention? And I am still suspicious of the 19 vehicle claim.

5. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

Im interrested in the game having played alot of the old Spintires tech demo and the normal game so ill probably will get the game. Also is it basically the old game or is there more diffrent than new vehicles and maps?

6. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

New maps, "challenges", background improvements, vehicle add ons, and they claim 19 vehicles which is a lot more than Spintires had

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, but the original also had many mods.
    It'll be a while to get everything to the new one.

8. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

The pinned steam discussion thread said they will release a converter tool on release day to easily convert mods from the original game.

The thread also includes comments that cabin camera and VR will be looked into after release. Really annoys me that a first person camera will not be available from release. They also said that tracked vehicles will not be included at release. It is interesting that they answered that as they did; not mentioning anything about having to look into it.

9. Svpracer

Svpracer
    Expand Collapse

I pre-ordered it just because (at 60% off...) and I will be interested to see what happens w/ the development/ game release... I'll post back here when (or if) it comes out...

10. Octothorp Obelus

Octothorp Obelus
    Expand Collapse

To be honest the only thing I am skeptical about on this is the "advanced physics simulation". I don't know why, but I just have that feeling that it's a little bit off...

Other than that you can count on me being one of the first to buy this new game at $13.50. Can't wait to be honest :) Also I hope they realize they listed all the vehicles from the original Spintires in the Examples of some vehicles you can find in Mud-Runner

EDIT: Just learned that currently it is 10% off of that, so it is currently $12.15

#10 Octothorp Obelus, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  11. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

http://www.mudrunnermods.com/spintires-mudrunner-game/
    The linked website has a couple short articles on some of the new content. The only really significant thing I found on there is a very quick description of that little blue scout from the reveal trailer.

I will be pre-ordering Mudrunner myself. I am skeptical of a lot of things with the game, but for $13.49 I am willing to look at it as a fair DLC for Spintires and hope things will go better than they did with oovee.

12. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

As I recall from one of @aljowen's posts, Focus Home aren't to be trusted. At all:

https://www.beamng.com/threads/general-discussion.7384/page-1637

If history repeats itself, you can expect 2+ more full-priced offshoots with marginal content additions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

Been playing for a little while now. Overall I like it. It's not perfect, but it feels like a full game now instead of the alpha version with more content, which the original felt like to me.

I love the addition of challenges.

Some of the new trucks are really cool, and the addition of the new cars is nice, but I was hoping for more variety with the trucks. The only 8x8 added was the Maz-537. There are a few vehicles that cannot be used in the single player maps as far as I can tell, such as the Maz-535 and Zaz-968 (the last one is understandable).

The new part add ons are cool, but I am very sad they removed the garage semi trailer. At least it's already in the steam workshop (I think it replaces the new one though, which isn't ideal). The Kirovets K-700 got some cool new options, but it doesn't have either add on from the original anymore. Neither of them were particularly useful, but it's still sad to see content removed. The chained tires on the Zil-130 were removed, which was necessary for that to be a good truck. I fear that truck will become obsolete with the addition of the C-266. I couldn't find any vehicle where the tires could be changed actually.

There cockpit camera is great to have, but if the camera is faced down it will move to the default position after awhile, which is really annoying because I find it more comfortable to have the camera aimed down a little. I find myself using it a lot, but it has a very limited range of motion (good luck reversing with it) and its annoying having to exit it to fill up at a fuel station.

Deleting the truck you have selected in the proving grounds will make it so that you can't switch into a new vehicle as far as I can tell. Switching windows will throw you out of the session.

Hopefully the game saves won't corrupt often, that was the main reason I wasn't playing Spintires much.

With the renamed maps it's kinda hard to tell (I've only been playing challenges so I don't have any maps unlocked) but I think they removed the flood map. Some conversations about the game mentioned that it may not be in Mudrunner because it was added in an update and therefore not one of the "original maps".

The auto winch is nice, but I don't think there is a way to quickly delete a winch, which was IMO the most needed improvement to winches. Annoyingly, quick winch doesn't let you select the winch point the old way with the mouse. If you want to do that, you have to select the winch points while in advance mode. Speaking of advance mode, the camera can freak out sometimes while in it.

Operating the Kirovete's grabber takes some getting use to. The camera doesn't cooperate well with a rear mounted crane though, not that it did with the truck mounted ones in Spintires. Too bad the cockpit view only faces forwards, would be fun to try that in first person (and easier than with the current camera). I've only tried it with short logs and the Uaz 469 though, long logs would probably be really difficult judging by how much the short logs bounced around in the grabber.

I got a tree stuck in the Gaz-66 and spent the next couple of minuets jabbing the Uaz with it, which was fun.

#13 ManfredE3, Oct 31, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  14. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

I really like mudrunner too but the camera is still annoying on the outside but im glad they inplemented a sort of cockpit view

15. Copunit12

Copunit12
    Expand Collapse

Same as the first game.
    OT. Its ok. I would say this. Don't buy the first game since its abandoned. If you own the first game then buy mud runner if you liked the first game.
    Bad: Rocks are still broken (you go just a bit to fast or hard you can end up doing 100 damage) water seems a bit harder to drive in (sad), Small log trailer seems broken (at least for me) and you have to unlock each map vs the first game where they were all unlocked. Some more minor stuff.
    Good: Fallen trees are so much better at giving traction, getting stuck in the mud is much better then the first, fuel stations are useful now, the in game lighting is 10x better at night and the game gives way better information then the first.
    Neutral: Garage trailer has been change to fit offloading more, Fuel has see a huge change (all fuel attachments need to be refueled at a refueling station and garages only give 200 liters of fuel only to vehicles), Rivers are now more hazardous to cross, and better uncloaking system.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

Another annoying thing is if you want to do something on your second screen like skipping a song in a playlist you have to press the windows button wich then quits your challenge or the tutorial your playing wich is super annoying

17. Copunit12

Copunit12
    Expand Collapse

I don't have a dual monitor computer and I play in window mode so this problem dose not effect me.

18. OttoNL

OttoNL
    Expand Collapse

It's the same in the original game. Al though it is possible this was one of the later changes. I believe at the very start it was possible to fill your truck all the way, but it was never possible to fill trailers and stuff at the garage.

19. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

You could fill your truck up all the way but not the trailers in the first release

20. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

Do you play in fullscreen or windowed (without borders)?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice