Skin Making

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Beamer XD, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Beamer XD

Beamer XD
    Expand Collapse

So I have being trying to make skins for this game for about 2 years now. I have followed so many tutorials, but so far only Margine's video tutorial produced any results. Beamng.drive's sample skin showed up in game when I loaded it, but when I edited it, it no longer worked. When I did Margine's tutorial, the game recognized my skin mod and showed up in my installed mods, but my skin wasn't in the skin list in the vehicle cog fig so I wasn't able to load my skin. I also got a message saying that there was a corrupt file. Help please.

2. Top Tier Studios

Top Tier Studios
    Expand Collapse

If you upload the file here, I can try to fix it for you

3. Beamer XD

Beamer XD
    Expand Collapse

All i did was draw a smiley face on the roof to see if i could get it to work. once it works then i will edit it properly
    --- Post updated ---
    im trying to make a neilogical skin for all the offical vehicles in the game

Attached Files:

4. Alieu

Alieu
    Expand Collapse

Screenshot2020-10-26214622.png
    make sure your path is similar to this
    you only have neilogical_barstow>barstow>neilogical_barstow(skin folder)>folder contents
    it should be neilogical_barstow>vehicles>barstow>neilogical_barstow(skin folder)>folder contents
    you have to add the "vehicles" folder right before barstow and put all of the stuff in that folder
    if you don't get it I can help detail it for you
    --- Post updated ---
    actually dw I'll fix your file for you

5. Beamer XD

Beamer XD
    Expand Collapse

thx :)

6. Alieu

Alieu
    Expand Collapse

here it is
    if it doesn't work lmk :)

Attached Files:

7. Top Tier Studios

Top Tier Studios
    Expand Collapse

I got the skin working. The first problem was the file path, as Alieu mentioned. The other problem with your mod was the jbeam file. According to the game log, it was causing an lua error. I was not able to find the exact cause of this, so I ended up remaking the jbeam file. Also, when you make the skin itself, remember to create a new layer and put the decals on that, then delete the background layer before you save. Otherwise the skin uv will appear on the car as well, like this unknown.png

Attached Files:

8. Alieu

Alieu
    Expand Collapse

oh thanks lol
    I forgot to mention that background thing
    and yeah, in the jbeam file, Beamer XD just didn't type the proper skin file name, eventually leading to an error ig

9. Beamer XD

Beamer XD
    Expand Collapse

how do i remove the lines?

10. Alieu

Alieu
    Expand Collapse

just remove the background with the lines
    so you add all your decals and paint on top of the lines so you know exactly where the things go
    when you are 100%, for sure done you remove the background (lines) and you are done
    if it doesn’t let you just redo the skin

11. Beamer XD

Beamer XD
    Expand Collapse

me dumb. i dont get what u mean
    --- Post updated ---
    sorry

12. Alieu

Alieu
    Expand Collapse

do you get it now?
    if not, I’ll show you soon I’m doing something right now though

13. Beamer XD

Beamer XD
    Expand Collapse

yes please thx :)

14. Alieu

Alieu
    Expand Collapse

here you are
    if you have a list of layers it'll be even easier but I don't know where mine went lol
    so yeah just do this, and then delete the background when you have completed the skin
    --- Post updated ---
    actually nvm, it didn't show all the directions windows is being dumb
    I'll re record

15. Beamer XD

Beamer XD
    Expand Collapse

if possible, can you make it a downloadable file because school internet blocks most video sharing sites

16. Alieu

Alieu
    Expand Collapse

I'll try

17. Beamer XD

Beamer XD
    Expand Collapse

Need help again. The van has 2 uvs; the cargo box and the front part. i just want to skin the cargo box. help.

Attached Files:

18. Top Tier Studios

Top Tier Studios
    Expand Collapse

I got the skin to work in game now. Firstly, you had the incorrect file path. The file path needs to be vehicles/van/butchery, but you had butchery/vehicles/van/butchery. Also, some vehicles such as the van cargo box and dryvan trailer have a different materials file than the rest of the vehicles. Since you said the skin is for only the box part, you only need the materials text for the cargo box. If you want to make a skin with both parts of the van, you would need to include both the van and cargobox materials in the same file.

Attached Files:

19. Beamer XD

Beamer XD
    Expand Collapse

so if i wanted to make a skin for the main part as well would i need a separate material.cs and .jbeam file or do i have it all in the one materials.cs and .jbeam file? can u please attach the .jbeam and materials.cs template for the van's cargo box with and without so i can have it for reference. same for the dryvan.
    --- Post updated ---
    how do i load my cargo box skin?

20. Top Tier Studios

Top Tier Studios
    Expand Collapse

The jbeam file would be the same as a normal van skin, but in the materials file, you will need a section for both the van and cargobox skin. if you download my trucking & logistics skin pack, which is linked in my signature, you can use it as a good reference, as it contains skins for both the van cargo box and the dryvan. All you will need to do is copy the necessary files into your mod and change the text inside to work with your skin.

Attached Files:

• upload_2020-10-28_7-51-14.png
    • upload_2020-10-28_7-54-29.png
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice