Should I add more RAM

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Jetpackturtle, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Jetpackturtle

Jetpackturtle
    Expand Collapse

Is 8GB enough?

2. Steveb2002

Steveb2002
    Expand Collapse

When I had 8GB i struggled with some modded maps but it should be good for just the base game.

3. Jetpackturtle

Jetpackturtle
    Expand Collapse

Ok, do you think upgrading to 12 GB RAM and a 1050ti will last for 5+ years?

4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

No, but 32GB and 1070 might, just might, I hope that 1080 lasts 5 years, but it might not be so, considering 4k and VR will progress so much.

4GB of Vram will become minimum quite soon, your 2GB version is already bit too little, you have to lower graphics quality quite bit for future games as 1060 and 6GB will possible become minimum in next 5 years.

As software moves more and more threaded direction, faster GPUs will have more use and as players generally will have more than 4GB vram, then games will start to require more vram, 4GB will be first step.

So 2GB 1050Ti and 12GB ram even today is barely enough, certainly not enough to run at highest graphics with fluent gameplay (60fps).

Also there is quite some speed difference between 16GB and 8GB even if game does not require 16GB, while there has not been much gains when moving to 32GB, that is going to change very soon and right now 32GB is what gaming PC should have if one is building for it to last 5 years.

If you only consider running BeamNG, then you might get away with 12GB, but I doubt 2GB 1050 will run even Italy at very high graphics too well.

5. Jetpackturtle

Jetpackturtle
    Expand Collapse

I'm not looking to run at high graphics, I plan to run medium graphics at 1050p

6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Hmm, it might work, but not sure, there might be some maps for example you can't run with 2GB vram or 8GB system ram, 12GB would surely help, but it might be that you need to get GPU with more memory after few years.

Perhaps you can get paid by doing some chores etc. as increasing budget from your current should not take awfully many hours of working.

7. Jetpackturtle

Jetpackturtle
    Expand Collapse

That is what i am doing :) I am saving up to repair a car this summer so that's where most of my budget is going but I am thinking about selling my 1050 and paying for a RX 570...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice