Ryzen vs Intel/Older AMD

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Nicktar2002, May 3, 2017.

?

What CPU do you have?

1. i7

18.8%
  2. i5

31.3%
  3. i3

6.3%
  4. Ryzen

6.3%
  5. Other

37.5%
  6. Not sure/Don't know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Nicktar2002

Nicktar2002
    Expand Collapse

I want to have another way of seeing real performance between CPUs in-game besides Bananabench.
    To make sure we're only testing performance WITHOUT a bottleneck, preferably play at max graphics and SMAA without dynamic reflections locked at 60 fps with vsync on. Try to use MSI Afterburner and RIvaStatistics to display CPU and RAM usage and CPU temperature. Take a screenshot or type your results and Windows version.
    If you can't play on max, then play on low with all boxes unchecked. Graphics settings have almost no effect on CPU usage as long as fps is locked to 60.

The map of my choice is Grid Map since it is easy for everyone to run and the main thing I want to focus on is how your computer will handle multiple vehicles. First, spawn the D-15 V8 4WD(A), then the Pigeon 600(M), T75 Cement Mixer, and finally the Gavril Barstow Drag. Try to have all vehicles at full throttle so there are some particle effects too.

Here is the result from my run: 30% CPU usage and 6.5GB of RAM used
    This is my first thread/time doing something like this so let me know if you have a better idea. I understand results will vary based on operating system and background applications, these are things that affect real world results though. Thanks

Attached Files:

• Screenshot1.png
    #1 Nicktar2002, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
  2. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Bananabench is pretty much made to do just that, test purely the physics preformance of the CPU and eliminate the GPU. The GPU will always be a bottleneck ingame and even on the lowest settings it can chug to hell much past 13 vehicles, however even getting that many vehicles to load in game at once is a challenge as it crashes to desktop the majority of the time.

As for your test, just about anything can handle those 4 cars spawned up and it wont really stress anything but the most basic i3-i5 or pre AMD FX CPUs.

3. Nicktar2002

Nicktar2002
    Expand Collapse

That's kind of the point, to see what the CPU/RAM usage is in a real scenario. Bananabench says my CPU can handle 48 cars, more than that and the game engine crashes. That's not realistic at all.

4. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Ah, that makes sense, should be an interesting test. I agree the bananabench is pretty unrealistic, but its still a good idea of which CPU will be best in tests overall, of course ingame you are limited to about 12 cars so alot of the CPUs that go beyond that will blend together, so its more applicable to lower end.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice