Ryzen or I7?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by AllTerrainOutlaw, May 30, 2017.

1. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Well, you just pretty much perfectly summed up not only the Intel problematic, but the entire line of problems that come with corporate greed and monopoly. The only reason to possibly buy an Intel CPU anymore at all might be if you find one used and dirt cheap anyway.
    Someone had to say this. Now, if someone else could stick this post somewhere where it's seen...

• Like Like x 1
  2. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Well, why buy intel, when the Ryzen is 90~95% the processor in some benchmarks, that the intel processor is, and 110% the processor in math-intensive benchmarks (beamng.drive performance, rendering, encoding etc), in others?
    This money is better spent on the video card (GPU) regardless, or a better SSD and video card upgrade :)
    As part of the community here and a contributor (Roane County map, So-Cal Interstate map, etc), so I take pride and wouldn't want to see people waste their money spending twice on a CPU and more on a motherboard buying intel when they could get the same performance, for half the cost on the CPU alone, or about that. This is nothing like the blind dog the FX was, and no nasty coal-burning fumes either :)

I support the small guy, I support competition, I support free-market, and I despise a monopoly, that if intel rules the processor market, I have no upgrade to buy no matter how bad I want one.

I want a 32-car race in Roane County, and when I get this, I will be truly in awe. They just need to fix the LUA a bit better in this game so it doesn't crash out with more than 6~8 vehicles if you have the CPU and RAM for it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

That'll be Epyc (get it cos amd cpu, ok) maybe a Naples server

4. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

8~32 core Threadripper will be the one, not Epyc, Epyc is lower clocked server CPU, Threadripper is workstation CPU with higher clocks and possibly higher TDP. Epyc has 128 PCI lanes per cpu, on dual core systems, 64 lanes to the board from each cpu, 64 lanes per cpu (the other half of 128) is for communication from cpu to cpu so as to not saturate ram bandwidth used by cpu's working.
    Threadripper will have up to 32 cores with up to 64 threads (two threads per one core, akin to hyperthreading), quad channel ram (where Epyc has octo-channel, eight channels), Threadripper also comes with up to 64 pci-e lanes if I remember correctly, and is starting out at a price somewhere around 300~500 US $.
    Going for 12 or 16 core CPU (actual cores, not thread-count), will be a decent price of around 500~800 bucks (retail prices are very volatile right now because of x299 coming out in about 8 days, even though X299 is a buggy mess), and give you 4.0 and 3.9ghz turbo clocks respectively (to 12 and 16 cores). These are looking to be 125watt (8-core), 150watt (12 cores and slower 16 cores) up to 180 watt on the higher-end or lower-binned models that fail to run the 3.9ghz/4.0ghz turbos within TDP spec ranges.
    Threadripper will run on the spr3 socket and use quad channel memory on the X399 motherboard.
    Yes, Epyc is the naples platform, I believe 'whitehaven' is the code for Threadripper, but you can check the tech sites for more on the down-low of these chips and chipsets. Threadripper is something newer that wasn't originally planned, but is more the result of people like me and many others wanting to ludicrously have the power of a server at our fingertips in a form-factor that doesn't outsize the entire desk, because, "Hey, why not?".
    Hey, if I want to throw money at my Beamng.drive performance problem (even if I don't really have one) to run more cars than the engine can even handle right now, and hope it can in the future (heh), then, hey, it's my money, let me spend it unwisely even though my 4790k, be it 2.5+ years old, is still fine and dandy for up to 7~8 cars in play.

I am quite anxious to see how Threadripper gobbles up the performance when hooked up to some low-latency DDR4 quad channel memory, after seeing Ryzen 7 8-core cpu gain 10% performance on the same clockspeed between 2133mhz RAM in dual channel and 2933mhz ram in dual channel, same CAS latency (cas latency is very important, that's wait cycles between duties, mhz is how fast we go through those wait cycles).
    So if you can afford it, some cas 14~16 ram running @ 2t timing, at 2933~3200mhz, will really let Ryzen scream in Dual channel mode.
    The fact that a Ryzen 7 with dual channel 2933mhz ram cas 15 or 16 (forget) beat a 6900k (not a 6800k, I was mistaken), by 10% clock-for-clock (same clock speed) really says something. This is going to be good.
    Releases 2nd week of August this year, from best of my knowledge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

waiiittt what! 32Cores!!! I thought this platform only got up to 16 cores so Intel beat them with the I9 18c. And if you have time can you perform some tests on your i7 on how well it performs with Hyperthreading off, since I am wondering wether the upgrade from an i5 4690k is worthwile

6. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

The system feels snappier overall with hyperthreading on, but is definitely hotter running by 5~8C or so on average under load.
    Programs like Beamng.drive will run 4~7 vehicles much smoother, than an i5 would, and if you play music in the background when playing Cities Skylines (if you have it), the audio won't click pop and stutter when you have a high population count and many mods.

Is it worth it? Why would you buy a cpu that has only Hyperthreading, slightly higher clocks, and about 25% more cache on the chip, it's at most, a 30% boost. You could get a monstrous boost waiting about 1.5 more months and getting AMD Threadripper or AMD Ryzen, or Ryzen PRO when it launches (soon).

The 4790k is a waste of money at this point. If it was a year or two ago I could see to it. It's not worth it now, buy a Ryzen 8 core, or buy a Threadripper when it comes out in about 5.5~6 weeks.

My 4790k IS fast, BUT, it's got unmanageable heat issues, I have a 100$ Phanteks TC14PE or something to that effect on it, Coolaboratory Liquid Ultra (metal) Thermal Paste, and LOTS of fans in a HUGE tower, and it still can reach 70~72C, EVEN WITH IT ALREADY DELIDDED and Liquid Ultra used under the IHS. You get stock 4.0ghz and 4.4 turbo on one core, or 4.2 on all cores if I remember correctly (the spec sheet knows more than I do at this hour), but I have the motherboard feeding it 1.225~1.25V on turbo 4.4ghz ALL cores. You won't get any more speed out of this thing without it heat-throttling under intense apps.

i7 4790k = 320$, AMD RYZEN 8core 1700 = 2x a 4790K CPU power at 297$.
    ^^^ ^^^
    i7 = 4core/8thread, RYZEN = 8core/16thread (with more ability to upgrade on a newer platform).

Save up double the money you'd spend for an i7, and spend that on new RAM, new motherboard, and a new Windows license if you DO NOT have a retail version (you may upgrade your motherboard with the Retail version without invalidating the Windows license, OEM Windows you may not).

BEAMNG.DRIVE runs 10% faster (when clocked the same speed as intel) than a 6900K i7 8-core 16-thread CPU, when you have dual channel 2933mhz memory for the Ryzen, and quad channel 2400mhz memory for the 6900k (on the X99 platform).
    Beamng.drive is a very good example of what you can use your Ryzen for, you will support twice as many cars as would an i7, have better ability to Stream or record your game for later viewing while you do so, and still have a very responsive system with all the newest interfaces.

My price factoring does not include getting money from used parts you sell after building a new system to replace your current one, no matter what the option you choose.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

so when I eventually upgrade to RyZEN I shouldn't cheap out on memory, thanks (my system started of with 4GB of 1333mhz ram, that was cheaping out to the full :p)

8. Berke

Berke
    Expand Collapse

Corsair LPX 3000MHZ 2 x 8GB is a nice option.
    Because ryzen memory compatibality is somewhat of an issue you cant just get a random stick of ram.

9. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Look up what brands the reviewers are using and having luck with, www.guru3d.com did an article a bit back, it should be in the last few pages (within the first four or so) of articles posted. It should be something along the lines of RYZEN RETESTED with faster memory. They found 2800~3200mhz to be the sweet spot between price, compatibility, and results.
    That is correct. Random Ram = it may boot, it may not, and chances are, it won't do advertised speeds. Remember, folks, this is a horse of a different color, the chipset is different, all new, as is the cpu, from the ground up.

This is just like the X58 DDR3 Triple channel stuff when it first came out, and just like Core2Duo when that first landed with the Nvidia Nforce Nightmare. I bought a 280~300$ Asus Nforce i570 or i590 motherboard, with 2-way or 3-way SLI, back in the end of 2006. It was an absolute nightmare, and the stock cooler slighly warped the board, and it randomly forgot it's bios info, even after changing the battery. I HATED THAT BOARD, even more than it hated me. I never threw out a motherboard that was still under warranty before or since but that one got tossed somewhere around 6~9 months and I replaced it with an Abit board (or something like it), which was about 1/3rd the cost, and worked like a charm!
    Rant and rambling aside, what I am saying is, new platforms ALWAYS have teething issues, but folks have been spoiled by the intel platforms and working with it BECAUSE NOTHING HAS CHANGED WITH IT. THERE HAS BEEN ALMOST NO PROGRESS WITH INTEL aside of newer instruction sets, dmi 3.0 on skylake, new USB ports, etc, for YEARS. Sure it's going to work on intel because... well... 5+ years of the same thing anybody will be good at anything.

The BIOS updates for AMD are helping by the bucket-load, so basically, it's way better now than it was before, but you'd have to be a complete dolt if you were on a budget of any sort, to buy the intel when you could have 50%~100% MORE cores (even if they're up to 10% slower on some things, but 10% faster on others, like Beamng.drive physics performance!), to buy an intel with less cores, less pci-express lanes, and MORE cost vs the Ryzen. I know my next machine will be a Ryzen or Threadripper machine, it just won't be for a while yet because my 4790k will hold me for possibly years yet, even being 2.5~3 years old (it's from october 2014). Not enough games take advantage of more than that amount of cpu power for me, at 1080p. I am graphics limited if anything. There was no Ryzen when I bought this (so as to not be contradicting myself here), otherwise i'd have bought THAT when I replaced my wayyyy-to-slow-rage-inducing-lag fx6300 cpu which I owned for 4 weeks until I couldn't STAND it anymore. Yes, it sucked that badly, but Ryzen doesn't.

What most people don't realize is, while the Ryzen doesn't quite clock as high as the intel, and so therefore might be a few fps less in some respects, it's like comparing 120fps to 130 or 140fps (though it's not that drastic), how much do you need? By the time the games are starting to run slow (by exceeding the per-core ability of all cpus from 2014~2017), they'll be using those more cores, because the market will be more saturated with more-than-four-core processors from today on. At this point, the Ryzen will win clearly, against an intel processor, that cost the same, when it came out. You can get a four core intel, with four threads. You can get a SIX core Ryzen with TWELVE threads, for around the same cost, plus the motherboard may be cheaper. It's not a question of why, it's a no-brainer. This game will use as many cores as you can toss at it, and any RYZEN cpu is *PLENTY* fast enough to run cars or trucks in Beamng.drive, at a high fps.

I know it's a lot of text and I surely write a book all the time. What I am trying to say is... sure, you could help the E-Peen by buying intel, maybe, until you realize that the Ryzen has a more modern, more modular design, with a much brighter upgrade path. Intel had no competition since the 2xxx series, so they didn't innovate, and any process performance increase was negligeable at best - to the point where most review sites were bashing them saying "A new intel processor is out... YAWN". All these rumours of 'the PC is dying' well surely you have a few people jumping to tablets if they just can do stuff on a phone or tablet, but the real PC gamers aren't jumping ship, there's just nothing worth upgrading to. So they're NOT buying. Enter Ryzen... from the GOD of PC's themselves.

If you have an AMD APU processor, or FX series processor, or anything older, buy a Ryzen of = or greater core amount, and you will be impressed. If you have an intel 2xxx series and older, and it's not running 4.6~4.8ghz overclock or higher, upgrade to a Ryzen, and you will be impressed. Just make sure to get the right ram with as low of a CAS latency as you can afford, that's all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Just was re-reading. Current Threadripper CPU's offer 16 cores / 32 threads. In the future, we may see chips with more than 16 cores but for right now, on 14nm process nodes, that's the current limit. The TDP for more than 16 cores may just be too high (over 180w) for this to be tolerable. No one wants a new (theoretical) AMD 32-core 14nm-process 400w "Chernobyl processor" in their computer, after-all...nor do we want our computers to give us a sun-tan or cook us from the inside-out.
    So more-than-16-cores will have to wait until 7nm or whatever their next processor node for 2018~2019 is going to be (it's a bit early to say anything more precise than this).
    That being said, the new 12 and 16 core (with twice as many threads) processors on the Threadripper line-up are exactly everything they're cracked up to be. They're awesome in Beamng.drive also, but the physics processes in the game aren't quite ready for more than what a 6-core or 8-core cpu can provide at 3.5ghz or more clock-speed with fast RAM. So buying more than an 8-core cpu for Beamng.drive would only be reserved for future use, but who knows - maybe the next game version will have more vehicles be stable when running high amounts (10+) of vehicles. It would be wonderful!

Until then - cheers - and hope ya'all enjoyed the reading.

#30 bob.blunderton, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  11. The _covet

The _covet
    Expand Collapse

I would never recommend Intel processors anymore due to them having a high price for less performance than what AMD offers on the Ryzen 3, 5, 7 and Threadripper. So I would say go for a AMD Ryzen chip because they have better performance at a lower price.

12. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

A bit off the topic of the thread, but AMD doesn't have any low TDP (under 60W) chips that have reasonable single threaded performance. Nor do they have any mid range chips that support ECC RAM. In addition, Epyc won't do well in blade servers, or 1U servers. It will be too power hungry. Zen is very good for what it's designed for, extreme scalability. But AMD can't compete with Intel in certain applications, such as embedded systems, NAS boxes, home servers, or any other low power system. Low core count Xeons, and Core i3s that support ECC RAM still have no competition. And Atom competes with ARM CPUs. In addition, Ryzen doesn't really work in laptops, it needs too much power. There are still huge markets that, right now, are guaranteed to Intel.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice