Ryzen or I7?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by AllTerrainOutlaw, May 30, 2017.

1. AllTerrainOutlaw

AllTerrainOutlaw
    Expand Collapse

So I'm getting ready for phase 1 of my pc upgrades. A new CPU. I was originally getting ready for an i7 but i heard a RYZEN CPU is better and cheaper. What is your thoughts on one of these CPUs and provide me with some advice?

My mother board is a gigabyte GA-H110M-A 1151
    Cpu is an intel pentium g4400
    case is a deepcool tesseract bf
    gpu is a zotac geforce gtx 750ti

2. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

This time I would say stay with Intel , unless you were going to switch to the HEDT platform ,if you want to switch mobo then go AMD

3. AllTerrainOutlaw

AllTerrainOutlaw
    Expand Collapse

later on in my plans for pc upgrades im gonna get a better mobo after i get a new case

if i want more performance on games like beamng or in the future gta 5 so go i7 if i want more cores.

4. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

if you want 4 cores then you should stick to your platform, but for more cores you will need to switch motherboard to Intel/AMD and I recommend going towards AMD since the CPUs are cheaper, but do factor in the cost of the motherboard, oh and I don't recommend shelling out for an X-370 board, just go B-350

5. AllTerrainOutlaw

AllTerrainOutlaw
    Expand Collapse

so if i want an i7 my mobo cant handle it? @Michaelflat

6. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Consumer grade i7s are able to be used (up to 4c/8t) like the 7700K but the X series will not run on your motherboard (not the right socket)

7. AllTerrainOutlaw

AllTerrainOutlaw
    Expand Collapse

@Michaelflat i dont need an extreme model just something i can run most AAA games like gta 5 at a decent or high settings beamng just run a good number of cars and good settings later on down the road i will upgrade from a 750 ti

8. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

yeah, stick with intel then since you don't need to pay extra to move platform

9. AllTerrainOutlaw

AllTerrainOutlaw
    Expand Collapse

so go i7 then later get a new mobo that can possess the full potential of the i7

10. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

A new motherboard won't matter at all, so unless you plan on overclocking, performance will be the same.

If you are not going to be overclocking, then get a non K i7, like an i7 7700, this is the same as a 7700k just cheaper with locked overclocking. Your current board will be fine for this and you wouldn't need to upgrade.

If you are switching boards then you may as well go with Ryzen as its the better choice for the money and BeamNG in particular will run much better.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

No, get the i7 and your current mobo will use full potential of the i7, except for Overclock.
    When you run out of cores then pay for new mobo and new CPU

12. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

You seem to be pretty confused with whats required, considering you mentioned getting ryzen and then getting a motherboard later.

Theres 3 main CPU families right now.
    • Intel standard platform
    • Intel enthusiast/server platform
    • AMD Ryzen
    All 3 require different motherboards.
    You can run upto an i7-7700 in this, or an i7-7700K though you couldnt overclock the K.
    You have a standard platform non overclocking motherboard. You cannot put an enthusiast i5/i7/i9 in this motherboard (these have an X suffix and are hugely expensive). You cannot put ryzen in this motherboard.
    Enthusiast platform, these are X299 motherboards, expensive and clearly marked as not being standard motherboards. Standard platform intel CPUs dont fit. Ryzen doesnt fit.
    Ryzen, AM4 motherboards, clearly marked as AM4 motherboards.

For a new build, Ryzen all the way, your current build, probably best sticking with a standard platform intel CPU.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. AllTerrainOutlaw

AllTerrainOutlaw
    Expand Collapse

Well i should go for the 7700k because i do plan to get a new mobo after i get a new case. then i can do a slight overclock on it

14. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

get a 7700, if you get a new motherboard then get an AM4 motherboard, then you can use the extra cores with RyZEN

15. K_Ben 22

K_Ben 22
    Expand Collapse

What about bottle necking? Are you getting a new GPU? If not your GPU performance with the 750ti will limit the performance of the 7700 and may not be worth while.

If I were you and I only had £315 I would personally buy a used i7 4770 which would currently work with your motherboard then buy a gtx 970 or something like that. If you are going to get a new CPU I personally would never go with top of the line i7 as there are better price for performance option out there.

Sorry if it felt like I was against your opinion.

16. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

An LGA 1150 CPU will not work with an LGA 1151 motherboard. Period.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. AllTerrainOutlaw

AllTerrainOutlaw
    Expand Collapse

18. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

That board, if it has an older bios, 90% sure that it does, won't boot unless you have a skylake cpu on it to flash the bios. I do not think that cheap of a motherboard would come with the feature like the more expensive ASUS boards do, where you can flash the board even with *NO* cpu in it, using a special usb port. Usually if the motherboard is older than the cpu you're buying for it, you need to update the bios first and you'll usually need an older cpu to do that with it. Namely, any intel 6xxx series cpu. This applies for all 1xx series motherboards with 7xxx series cpu on it.
    There's little to no difference in the cpu between the 6xxx series and the 7xxx series models. The 7xxx k-series doesn't even have the v-pro features the non-k 7xxx series cpus do. Save a few bucks and get the 6xxx series, it won't make much different but a few % on benchmarks, and the board will boot on the first try if you connect everything right and don't injure it during assembly.

If you already have some 6xxx series cpu in another computer, the skills handy to 'borrow it' for a few minutes, if it's not yours, or can get access to one, you'll need it to boot the board, unless the motherboard has a fresh bios on it (unlikely).

I was able to update the bios on my Asus Maximus VII HERO motherboard, while it sat on it's own box, with it out of the case before installing the cpu, etc on it, or the board itself into the case, using the USB bios flash feature included with it, but not everyone has 200$ to spend on a motherboard.

A hyper 212 EVO by cooler-master is a good go-to for cheap aftermarket cpu cooling without a whole-lot of noise, which you could cover cost of by switching to a 6xxx cpu. I don't have this cooler, I have a big Phanteks model, but both do the job unless you're going for extreme overclocking (you shouldn't need to overclock on a 6xxx or 7xxx series cpu yet for anything, they're fairly new and fast).

Besides, don't overclock if you don't have lots of disposable income to replace failed parts right away, when the computer burns down during your first overclock attempt with not enough knowledge.
    Either get a 2-series motherboard (not X299 btw), or get a 6xxx series cpu. It's not that they aren't pin-compatible it's just the old bios on the 1xx series board won't know what the NEW 7xxx processor is until you update it.

19. Berke

Berke
    Expand Collapse

ryzen 1600+b350 mobo.End of discussion.

#19 Berke, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  20. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

To recap! :
    If you just want to play lots of Beamng.drive and play a few other misc. games, Ryzen is a great cost-effective option.
    If you want to spend more money on the video card and not the processor/motherboard, Ryzen lets you do that.
    If you want to have some type of upgrade path in the future for your processor, Ryzen lets you do that.
    If you are still holding on to your AMD FX processor and motherboard and are running low on coal*, buy Ryzen!

If you have more money than sense, or the word "budget" in unknown to you, intel is fine.
    If buying intel seems better because you think AMD is slow, then that's fine too, even though Ryzen is indistinguishably close to intel in Beamng.drive performance.
    If you like having to buy a new copy of Windows every time you upgrade your CPU because you must upgrade the motherboard also (usually), then buy intel.
    If you like having to pay extra for some RAID levels on m.2 NVME devices, buy intel, and buy a VROC chip for extra $$$.
    If you like being limited to the amount of PCI-EXPRESS lanes you have, because you spent <1K $ on cpu , buy intel...

OK we see where this is going... yeah...

The bottom line, if budget is a thing, Ryzen will get you more Beamng.drive capability for the same or less cost.
    A Ryzen 6-core cpu with 12-threads available costs at or less than what a 4-core intel with 4-threads CPU costs.
    This means the Ryzen can run about 50% more vehicles, physics-wise, though you may be video bottlenecked if you don't have a newer card and have the settings turned up high (or run my map, with a bunch of cars, even with a good video card).
    The intel may give higher FPS, which is fine for ONE car, but you will have less cars, and regardless, the Ryzen or the intel CPU will still push very high FPS even with a commercial full-size t-series truck, or a few of them, especially the Ryzen.

My 2¢ on the situation:
    Don't reward intel for running basically what was a monopoly the last 5 years, with almost stagnant CPU progress.
    I would personally, wait about two more months, and snag an AMD THREADRIPPER platform and cpu, with quad channel memory, from 8cores (16threads) up to 32 cores (64threads), and oodles of PCI-express lanes on ALL cpus!
    PCI Express lanes are what connect everything the fastest to the cpu logic, with little delay. This is what Beamng.drive and many popular open-world games love. So if you can hold out two more months, you shall be rewarded.
    If you've waited this long, why not 2 more months, I am waiting myself, with this 2.5+ years old 4790k, though it's still relevant - it is showing it's age slightly in the things I do. Four cores for gaming is enough, but it's by no means future-proof. Beamng.drive will gladly saturate as many cores as it's able, until the physics crash anyways... but they're working on that. Until then, feel free to flame me, bash me, throw porcupines and cactus at me, etc. No, really, I am very thankful AMD came out with something competitive to actually even give me SOMETHING reasonable to upgrade to.

For what it's worth, one of the car-crash guys bench-marked (on bananabench) a Ryzen 8-core to an intel 6900k cpu (edited, this wasn't a 6800k, it was a 6900k, oops!)
    The intel had 2400mhz quad channel ddr4, and the Ryzen had dual-channel 2133/2400mhz ddr4, the benchmark was within 0.5%, meaning, one-half of ONE percent, in other words, margin of error aside, all things were equal.
    On applying the AGESA microcode (bios) update, and being able to run the RAM at 2933mhz dual channel, the mbeams/s figure on bananabench for the Ryzen jumped a WHOPPING TEN PERCENT higher than the intel (and it's old score).
    Keep in mind this is 2933mhz dual channel, vs 2133/2400mhz quad channel... but the RYZEN WON with faster dual channel memory. Better branch prediction, scheduler, better tech, etc.

Woohoo, go AMD, Threadripper is promising to be everything Ryzen is and *MOAR* (more). I'll wait, I got some bills in my pocket with AMD's initials on them, just waiting, patiently.

The cpu market hasn't been this interesting since Phenom II / Pentium 4 & dual core / Core 2 Duo / 1st-gen i7 cpus.

*The FX series is pretty old, better avoid, though towards the end they did make some non-coal powered computers (electric computers? what???) with AMD FX chips in them, just buy a Ryzen chip please :)
    My source for this test, who shall remain un-named, is a popular youtuber of Beamng.drive car crash videos, who's been doing this a while now. So, yes, clock for clock, you aren't losing any Beamng.drive performance on Ryzen.

7/2/17, previously this stated comparison to 6800k intel cpu, it was in fact truly a 6900k cpu, but that makes it's all the more merrier.

#20 bob.blunderton, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice