Ryzen 5 2600 vs i5 8400

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by A Turbocharged Turbocharger, Feb 9, 2019.

1. A Turbocharged Turbocharger

A Turbocharged Turbocharger
    Expand Collapse

I post so much on these forums
    thanks for all your help

so I am building a pc and am wondering if I should go with a ryzen 5 2600 or an i5 8400
    the benchmarks are better for the i5 but the ryzen 5 is cheaper and overclockable
    I'm using an rtx 2060 (or maybe gtx 1070) for gpu

2. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

2600X. The 2600X is the 2600 but as far as I know it has usually better silicon meaning you'll probably be able to get more clockspeed out of it. Also the stock clock etc. is already better and more optimised for performance. I can personally confirm you can run it at 4.15Ghz @1.35V, you may get more out of it as well. Along with the CPU, the motherboard will also be cheaper, I recommend an Asus Prime B350/450 Plus since it has all the things you need for less than 100 bucks.
    Of course the i5 will have a higher single core performance and is more overclockable but this is as much as you need for consistant 60fps in Beam.
    The money you saved should go into getting the Strix version of your GPU since those coolers are so good I haven't gotten it over 55° with the highest stable overclock I can throw at it.

3. A Turbocharged Turbocharger

Expand Collapse

If I bundle at MicroCenter, The 2600 is cheaper. The 2600x is about the same, but I would have to buy an aftermarket cooler if I want to overclock it. The b350 motherboards have driver issues, but I can get a 450. As far as the gpu, i think i'll go with the icestorm 2.0, since the zotacs are generally cheaper with a better factory clock. The i5 isn't overclockable, is it?

4. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Oh that's right, you said 8400. For some reason I always assume when I read i5 on these forums that people are talking about the K variants.
    It's not overclockable. And since the 2600X has the same stock single core performance as an 8400 you should definitely be able to exceed it. Stock cooler should be absolutely fine.

5. A Turbocharged Turbocharger

Expand Collapse

Alright, what do you think about the zotac 2060 amp edition?

6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

But no B350, those have weak VRM and don't cope too well with faster CPUs like 2600X.

Arne, you know about those 2600X CPUs, do you have more ideas why this one runs at 81C and at least for me appears to be running bit weak, I suspect it could be his high Vcore (I think his gets to 1.4V), do you think same?
    https://www.beamng.com/threads/taki...s-game-dont-mix-well.60092/page-7#post-994058

Your performance appears to be much better than his and also I think your temps are lower?

7. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

I'm really not sure, I'm going to assume it's because of the fact that I have a Noctua NH-U12S. Also, he stated at one point that he has one fan on his system, which in theory shouldn't make that much of a difference but that's in a perfect situation. Pretty sure that getting one or two more of those would help.

8. A Turbocharged Turbocharger

Expand Collapse

Is there an issue with black streaks on AMD cpus? I thought it was just on GPUs, but now i’m Not sure
    Does anyone know

9. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

That is GPUs only.

10. A Turbocharged Turbocharger

Expand Collapse

Sweet
    --- Awesomeness Occured in between these posts - - -
    Ryzen 5 2600x it is, I’ve made my decision
    However, people can still share their opinion, i’m Not 100% locked down

#10 A Turbocharged Turbocharger, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  11. Alex [ITA]

Alex [ITA]
    Expand Collapse

Ryzen is just better now for performance/cost. Intel is good for gaming but just can't keep up with AMD higher core count at lower price.
    The R5 2600X is a good option but be sure to buy a X470 (or a X370 with an updated BIOS) to have superior VRM and more unlocked features over the B450 motherboards.

12. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

2600X only when overclocked, without overclock it has too low single core performance from BeamNG, at least if recording videos / running several cars.

I would not get anything that is below 500 1 vehicle, ETS2 and BeamNG as well as many other games benefit a lot from single core performance if one has high end GPU and is running maxed out graphics settings, with reduced graphics settings or slower GPU it does not matter so much, but if one plans to ugprade to faster GPU then it is worth to consider having faster single core speed or things will slow down:

Without overclock 8086K is having bit of struggle when recording video SSAO and dynamic reflections on. Even game runs pretty much solid 60fps, video ends up choppy and Increasing core speed helps with that.

Games might use 8 threads and so, but many are still having trouble of keeping 1 of the threads enough low, faster gaming monitors make issue more clear with high end GPUs.

BeamNG optimizations have helped a lot with that in 0.15, but still when loading more cars, single thread is what hits limits before GPU or CPU gets even near maxed out, under 50W CPU power usage and fps drops below 60, it just is not so simple as deciding we share load to more threads, it takes lot more to get workload shared and not everything can be threaded.

So while 2600X is giving great performance for the money, it needs to be tuned to best performance, it will not deliver with default settings, but same seems to be case with any CPU, with K series intel you get bit better fps, but it is quite expensive for quite small improvement.

I find that 4.6-4.8Ghz from 8th gen intel is where single core performance starts to be enough for pretty much anything, would not harm to have more, but certainly less is bit little.

Turbo speeds drop when playing game so that those 1 vehicle results have almost just a humorous value in practice, 8086K is something around 500 with stock clocks in practice because instead of 5Ghz it is 4.3Ghz when playing BeamNG, so 4.6Ghz overclock brings that to close to 550 or something like that, thing with modern CPUs.

On that table, 3 or 4 vehicles is what tells practical difference when driving with 1 car in BeamNG, because turbo clocks drop, because graphics etc. are running. Also that tells something about where practical single core performance might sit on when playing BeamNG, much better than 1 vehicle result.

Well, with mid range GPU or lower end of high end, it is not so important as likely one will use settings that are less heavy on CPU.

Zen2 at this point would be what I would wait and what comes after that, because there should be more than enough of everything from that point on, no matter which is the brand of CPU.

• Like Like x 1
  13. A Turbocharged Turbocharger

Expand Collapse

So do you prefer an 8400 or a 2600x
    --- Post updated ---
    My cousin has an i5 8400 (not overclockable) with a 1080 ti and he gets incredible performance. I know the single core performance is better on an i5 but is it that much worse on a 2600x?
    Also, is the wraith spire cooler sufficient for overclocking?

14. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

To answer that I would like to see 8400 banana bench and how turbo clocks behave on it, what is frequency of cores when playing BeamNG, but I don't have such data.

What I know is that with 2600X you should be fine and I think people do overclock those with stock cooler, but just make sure to adjust vcore to lowest it will run stable. Then again that is good practice in every case.

Also I think that I read that those Ryzen CPUs kinda run overclocked from factory, XFR2 or something boosting their clocks near to best possible, but Arne knows much more of such things I'm sure.

With 8400 you are really stuck with what it has, you can't boost it at all, also motherboards, especially lower cost ones can be trouble, buying a motherboard is difficult these days.

What future brings then, less relying on single core performance, software all around will move to that direction. Also you probably want to run traffic where more cores will be important, you can always keep graphics settings bit lower without much of any visual harm and run game fine without need to have maximum single core performance.

Upgrade paths, you will not have too much with 8400, you can get 9900K at max (it is really excellent CPU, but stupidly overpriced and thermally stupid) and that will require quite expensive motherboard to have decent VRM on it. With 2600X and X470 you will have option to upgrade to new CPUs that come next summer, then what comes after that AND what comes even after that as if I remember correctly, next summer comes Zen2 and two generations after that will work with same motherboard.

Still I would not get either of your listed options now, I would wait for next summer and new CPU offerings, that will make prices go down as well as new performing options to be available. You will be burning money if you buy now.

Definitely I would not get 8400 under no circumstances, I would rather get i3-8350K (and overclock that to max) or something more expensive K series if it would have to be upgrade now, but really recommend to wait for next summer if any way possible.

Also as a disclaimer, my preferences are running BeamNG 60fps on any map without any drops under that using highest sensible graphics, so my demands for single core performance are far higher than someone who is okay with occasional dips to 50fps or if one does not do recording etc.

15. A Turbocharged Turbocharger

Expand Collapse

If I buy it at micro center and get a b450 Mobo, will that be sufficient for a 2060

16. Jetpackturtle

Jetpackturtle
    Expand Collapse

I think you should use the Intel chips, they tend to age more gracefully.
    that and my massive intel bias

17. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Pretty much any motherboard is sufficient for any modern GPU as long as you use single GPU, using more than one is then lot more trouble.

18. A Turbocharged Turbocharger

Expand Collapse

Yeah...I know a lot of people have that

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice