Racing Championship 2 - Budgets

Discussion in '#BeamNG Racing Championship' started by BombBoy4, Oct 6, 2017.

?

Use mods for the next championship?

Poll closed Dec 6, 2017.
  1. Maps and scenarios

16.7%
  2. Part and config packs

8.3%
  3. Both

16.7%
  4. Neither

58.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

This is our second championship. This is the first championship using what we learned last time. This time, there will be budget constraints.

Anyone may participate. New participants are welcome, though you only be able to participate in events 2 and 3.

This championship will consist of 3 events over 3 weeks:
    1. "Little Catalunya" - 58697786532
    2. "Klein Hockenheim" - 4270807127
    3. "Autocross Akina" - 27693344237
    (Thanks to @DriftinCovet1987 for the tracks and names)

You may use any official BeamNG car (you must use the same car for all events). It may be configured in any way with official parts and official tuning options. You may use custom skins, though.
    There are 2 scoring classes.
    1. 0-2500 ingame currency
    2. 2500-5000 ingame currency
    @DriftinCovet1987 made an excellent post comparing prices of different vehicles, showing what you can get for your money, and the best performance. I'd recommend you check it out.

To participate, do these events by entering the seed into the "seed" area in the proc. gen. tracks and upload a video or replay file of your best run or your time will not count by the posted date for the event. Post your time and a link to the video in this thread. In the video description or your post, include whether you used a keyboard, controller, or steering wheel.

We will be scoring like a normal race, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. for each event, then the times are added together to find the total time.

If I missed anything in this post, please let me know. Good luck! Also, if you have done a championship in the BeamNG Rally Group, you should already know the rules here. This group is heavily based off of that.

This championship is over, thank you to everyone who participated :)

#1 BombBoy4, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  2. DriftinCovet1987

DriftinCovet1987
    Expand Collapse

So, here are a few tracks that I've singled out as being potential candidates for this championship (sorry for doing this quite late):

26859228718:
    Laps:
    # of checkpoints per lap: 24
    About this course: This "Petite la Sarthe" has quite a few long straights, a lot of very tight corners, and is very long and complex in nature. This could be perfect for giving some of the power-built cars an advantage, as the "mini-Mulsanne" will bias towards more power than most other tracks do. The handling builds may not have as much of an advantage here as they usually will in other tracks, as the corners are often wide enough to equal out cornering speeds for many vehicles.
    screenshot_01003.png
    58697786532:
    Laps:
    # of checkpoints per lap: 22
    About this course: Unlike the Petite la Sarthe above, this "Little Catalunya" is a mid-speed circuit with one medium-length straight, several medium- and low-speed corners, a couple chicanes and a hairpin. This means that there may not be as big of an advantage for the power builds as at "Petite la Sarthe", which will allow for the handling builds to potentially claw back some time. However, it is only one lap, so that means that they may not be able to gain as much time as they'd like to.
    screenshot_01005.png
    27693344237:
    Laps:
    # of checkpoints per lap: 27
    About this course: A seriously tight circuit, "Autocross Akina" is full of tight hairpins and low-speed corners, with no long straights and almost nothing in the way of medium-speed corners. This will be where most of the handling builds gain an advantage over the power builds, as they will be able to utilize their cornering speed to the fullest around the >20-mph corners.
    screenshot_00985.png
    4270807127:
    Laps:
    # of checkpoints per lap: 25
    About this course: Another medium-speed track, "Klein Hockenheim" looks to be an excellent course for power builds, with its two long straights and reasonable amount of medium-speed corners...until you look into the fine details. A tight chicane right off the bat and several hairpins throughout each lap mean that the handling builds could be neck-and-neck with the power builds here, and being two laps in length, that allows for any advantages that certain vehicles have over others to build up even quicker.
    screenshot_00998.png

Overall, I think that any three of these four could be very fun to race around.

3. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

I'm thinking the last 3 would work the best, because it has a mix of straights and tight corners, no one car should perform the best.

4. DriftinCovet1987

DriftinCovet1987
    Expand Collapse

Okay, makes sense. I just thought that you might have wanted to include a faster circuit in this championship, so I give you that option to take a high-speed circuit. I'm not bothered by your choice at all, though; I think it would be a good idea to allow the slower cars to at least be competitive with cars like the LeGran (which likely would have been so fast on "Petite la Sarthe" that no other car would have been able to match it).

5. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, this championship has a top-budget as 5g, so slower tracks should be better.
    --- Post updated ---
    Alright, Excel sheet is setup (completely new design, too), redid my folder/file structure, added a few files to make my job easier, so this championship should go a bit smoother. Good luck tomorrow everyone!

6. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

Event 1 is now in progress. Good luck to all competitors.

7. DriftinCovet1987

DriftinCovet1987
    Expand Collapse

Right off the bat, here's my time...with my '96 Pessima LX custom. This competes in the 2500-5000 credit class.
    Time: 1:37.100
    screenshot_01080.png
    This is what my Pessima looks like, and it has the following upgrades:
    -Sport suspension
    -Lightened flywheel
    -4.23:1 LSD
    -Sport tires (on the standard 15x7 steelies)
    -2.7-liter V6 engine swap
    Considering that the LX V6 Sport has got more-expensive alloy wheels and a rear spoiler, I thought that the lightened flywheel would be able to bring my Pessima up to $5,000. I honestly prefer this car to the LeGran, as it's not OP, but it still is plenty fast enough for me.
    screenshot_01081.png
    EDIT: New record of 1:36.736. Honestly, I didn't expect my Pessima to be so fast compared to the LeGran that I used in the previous championship (that's what set the 1:32 time at the top of my leaderboard), and the Pessima is also completely street-legal and using very few (if any) non-OEM parts, compared to the race-suspension-equipped LeGran, and considering that the Pessima is 30 horsepower down, has 1-inch-thinner sport tires, sport suspension, and doesn't have nearly as much torque, I'd say that this $5K-limited Pessima is better than the LeGran in many aspects, as it looks much more sleeper-like and can be used as a daily driver without many difficulties.
    screenshot_01082.png
    (New replay file is the one labeled with "10-07"; the one labeled with "10-06" was my previous record's replay file.)

Attached Files:

#8 DriftinCovet1987, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  8. DriftinCovet1987

DriftinCovet1987
    Expand Collapse

Well...I beat my record again....this time, by over a second and a half. Gosh, this Pessima is a quick car for $5,000.
    Time: 1:35.249
    screenshot_01085.png
    Oh, yes, and I'm also using a keyboard to set these times, like I always do.

Attached Files:

9. SunburstFan

SunburstFan
    Expand Collapse

screenshot_01458.png
    This is my Ibishu Pessima 2.0 LX. Now, it becomes an autocross monster for me using $5000. I bought this car for $2600 and modify it with parts that I search the prices in eBay. I use a lightened flywheel, wangan rs wheels (still a 4-lug), race tires, OEM GTZ turbo, AWD Transfer case, rear limited slip diff, weight reduction (no cost of course), oil cooler, SS exhaust and more things that I forgot. I bought the car and 11 parts with $5000 and the remaining money that I have is $108, (note: I search in eBay for all of the parts. The parts may be cheap because I search from the lowest first.)
    My best time is...
    Screenshot5.png
    This is my first attempt.
    This is the replay:
    --- Post updated ---
    I use keyboard

Attached Files:

10. DriftinCovet1987

DriftinCovet1987
    Expand Collapse

To be honest, I don't really think that this could fit into the $5,000 budget. This looks (to me, at least) to be closer to $10,000 of car than $5,000. The '88 Pessima GTZ (which would be very close to this car) starts at $6,500, and that doesn't have race tires yet. Add on the race tires, custom wheels, lightened flywheel, and the oil cooler, and this car could be worth at least $7,000. But here's the problems with the '88 Pessima, compared to the other cars:
    -It doesn't have a powerful-enough N/A or an available supercharged engine, like the '96 Pessima, LeGran, D-Series, and Grand Marshal, to allow it to avoid turbo lag, reduce shifting, and (in the case of the newer Pessima and LeGran V6 models) pull itself around corners under throttle...
    -It's too big and heavy to be a handling monster like the Covet...
    -It's too expensive for the $2,500 class, and too under-powered to compete in the $5,000 class....
    ...and overall, it just doesn't seem like a car that can be super-competitive in either price class. Now, I'd like to prove myself wrong on this (or have you prove me wrong), as I happen to like the '88 Pessima quite a lot.

EDIT: I think it could work...but that's a big if. Here's an '88 Pessima config which I built in my free time for $5,000, and it's an LX with...
    -Sport suspension and brakes, and quick-ratio steering
    -AWD transfer case, limited-slip front differential and open rear differential needs the all-wheel-drive traction to keep up with the '96 Pessima and LeGran
    -Sport tires on the standard 14x5.5 steelies
    -No weight reduction
    ...and got a 1.37.737 with a slightly-scruffy lap.
    screenshot_01251.png
    Please note: This time is not going to be used in the competition; it is only showing how fast this build is.
    Oh, and it looks like this, because I didn't want to have to spend any money on looks. Every upgrade I did to this car was functional, and not cosmetic. Its real issue is that it doesn't corner particularly well compared to my '96 Pessima, but I had to sacrifice cornering speed for acceleration to allow this car to keep up with my '96 Pessima down the straights.
    screenshot_01252.png screenshot_01253.png

If you can get this config into the 1:36s, then I'd be surprised.

Attached Files:

#11 DriftinCovet1987, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. DriftinCovet1987

DriftinCovet1987
    Expand Collapse

Just cracked into the 1:33s with my Pessima!
    screenshot_00963.png

Attached Files:

12. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

1st attempt - Manual w/ clutch assist - Racing Wheel - 2500-5000 credit class - Ibishu Covet Track (for the tuning preset, changed just about everything else, including some tuning (like final drive to make up for the lack of turbo) with no turbo, worse wheels/brakes, and no roll cage.
    1.35.913, just 2 seconds slower than @DriftinCovet1987!
    Screenshot375.png

and just for laughs, a fully upgraded ETK K-Series with ESC on normal gets 1.37.519.
    Screenshot376.png

Attached Files:

#13 BombBoy4, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  13. DriftinCovet1987

DriftinCovet1987
    Expand Collapse

Nice job on getting so close to me with a non-turbo Covet! Honestly, that's an impressive time you've set, considering that your Covet is 57 horsepower and 70 lb-ft of torque down on my Pessima. It's all in the 1,000-pound-lighter weight and better handling.

Would be a shame if I...went even faster.
    Oh, yes, and I'm also doing these times with no clutch, throttle, or gearbox safety assists.
    However, this may be the best that I'm able to do with my Pessima. It's slightly more of a power build than a handling build, but the reason why I picked it over the Covet is because I already had experience with V6 FWD sedans, and I figured that the extra power of the '96 Pessima would offset its higher price, weight, and understeer-prone-ness.
    screenshot_00156.png

Attached Files:

14. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I did my research :)
    Looked up all the Forza tuning options to see what I could do, then adjusted some things accordingly. For example, I lowered the body quite a bit more to get a little more downforce, because it's a perfectly track. Also, I increased wing angle many times to max out downforce, but not hitting the stall point. I took many, many tests, which is why I joined so late in the game. I'm not the best driver (you beat me by miles), so I had to really on my research, telemetry, and tuning. I have been practicing manual a lot, which helps because when in automatic, it will stay in 3rd when I can shift to second, shaving some time off acceleration.
    The reason I chose no turbo is because you really need power off the Apex, which a supercharger could do, but the turbo's lag isn't worth it when I could just increase the differential's final drive ratio by 1.34, lowering top speed, but gives the speed of a stage 1 turbo throughout the whole gear.

TL;DR I didn't use to much of my driving skills, I relied mostly on research, telemetry, and tuning. Forza helped alot, because of the guides and similarities.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. DriftinCovet1987

DriftinCovet1987
    Expand Collapse

Interesting. I, however, had to choose the opposite strategy for my '96 Pessima when it came to tuning.

Originally, I had an idea of using the 1988 Pessima (as I figured that that would be faster than the '96 Pessima and its heavier weight and lack of all-wheel-drive would hinder it), but every time that I tried getting a quick lap out of it, it just lacked so much power to me. Yeah, sure, my '88 Pessima builds was only down 31 horsepower and 38 lb-ft of torque, but that's quite a significant deficit when it comes to autocross. No matter how I set it up, the older Pessima would either launch very quickly, but get a load of understeer which I didn't have the power to overcome (in the case of my all-wheel-drive build), or it would still have some understeer, but had so much wheelspin out of corners and completely lacked any sort of straight-line speed, which I didn't have the handling to overcome (in the case of my front-wheel-drive handling build). Then, I took a 1996 Pessima LX into the garage, and (using some of the techniques I had learned from driving the '88 Pessima and my LeGran from the previous competition around Little Catalunya) proceeded to equip it with a 4.23:1 LSD, sport suspension and sport brake pads on the standard brakes, sport tires on the standard 15x7 steelies (a technique I used on my '88 Pessima AWD build to save some money in the handling department), and a V6 engine swap. That meant that I would have an almost-ideal balance of power and handling for less than what I would have to pay for similar performance with the '88 Pessima, and I wouldn't have to deal with turbo lag like in the older Pessima.

The thing is, the LeGran and the '96 Pessima, when equipped with their most powerful V6s and limited-slip front differentials, handle quite differently from most other front-wheel-drive cars (I think the Covet would come closest to their handling when upgraded similarly like yours was). They can "tow" themselves around each and every corner a little bit with the consistent power of their V6s, meaning that I can rely upon the throttle to steer around corners, eliminating (or perhaps even utilizing) the disadvantages I had with a keyboard. However, it only worked really well if I had a good line through each turn. This meant that I had to be as perfect as possible with how I took corners to maximize this effect, which was not easy to do at all. I know that I've butchered many a good lap by out-braking myself, turning in too early or too much, or messing up the start (where I would either stall on "GO!" or not take as good of a line as I would like to). Because I had no other tuning options but what I had, I had to use any strategies that I could to go as quickly as possible through the corners. I was pretty much dancing my fingers around on the arrow keys of my keyboard when I set that 1:33.150 lap, maximizing the "tow effect" with the gas, pressing the steering as hard as I could through each and every tight turn. I also used the handbrake a little through the super-tight hairpin section before the final straight, which helped me maintain more momentum there.

TL;DR: Like you said, I'm quite a skillful driver with a keyboard, especially when I happen to have a '96 Pessima that requires a strange technique to go fast around corners, but that doesn't mean that I don't set up my cars well before I use them for hotlapping. I also tend to use similar vehicles to learn techniques that I could use for my race car.

#16 DriftinCovet1987, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  16. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

Event 1 is now complete, and event 2 is now in progress.
    Good luck to all competitors!

17. DriftinCovet1987

DriftinCovet1987
    Expand Collapse

Well...this may be the most difficult circuit I've ever driven on. However...I finally got a good lap after at least 50 tries.
    Lap: 1:36.161
    Total: 3:14.034
    screenshot_00161.png

That first chicane is a nightmare for my Pessima.

Attached Files:

18. DriftinCovet1987

DriftinCovet1987
    Expand Collapse

A new record!
    Lap: 1:36.082
    Total: 3:12.251
    screenshot_00173.png

Attached Files:

19. SunburstFan

SunburstFan
    Expand Collapse

My attempt at the EDIT: Klein Hokkenheim.
    Screenshot6.png
    Can I change my car because I guess my car is too large for this kind of track? If so then I would be glad to change it to a much better car. Anyways, here is the replay...

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice