Questions about the future of cars

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by SquidBonez, Feb 25, 2015.

1. SquidBonez

SquidBonez
    Expand Collapse

I was having a discussion with another user on a automotive forum about cars of the future. He says that by the time I die (I'm guessing around 2080, since I'm 15), cars will drive themselves and all cars will be electric. I don't agree with him/her, but I just want to hear some other people's opinions on the topic. IMO, I believe that cars will still run on petroleum-based products and humans will still drive them, but hey, what do I know? :p

2. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

It's simple, we don't have enough oil to run cars until 2080. Self driving cars are already coming

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SquidBonez

SquidBonez
    Expand Collapse

Well, actually we have AT LEAST another century and a half's worth. My dad's friend is a petroleum geologist and he estimates (with evidence, obviously) 150+ years of use before we run out of oil. People back in the 1980s were saying that we would run out of oil by 2010. Well...it's 2015...and oil still runs the planet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

as long as i can still drive a car myself, fine

if they become required, then forget the police, i'll drive my own dang car thank you

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

I can imagine in 50 years people will look at this comment and laugh, the same way we laugh at the dude who said the internet was a fad that would never take off.

or the guy who said cars will never replace horses, or the guy who said humans will never leave earth, etc.

I can recall myself saying that computers can't possibly get stronger than they are, circa 2005.

-- Not to say i disagree with you. Driving cars is the best.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Googlefluff

Googlefluff
    Expand Collapse

Same. I can't imagine an outright ban on drivable cars though. That would mean a lot of backlash from people who would have to replace older cars at great expense and from people who like vintage cars.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. SquidBonez

SquidBonez
    Expand Collapse

Damn right!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, motorsport would kind of become pointless. Not to mention but the technology is INSANELY expensive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

A computer with an Intel 486 and 15 MB of RAM would cost you $7000 back in 1992. Everything computer related gets cheaper very quickly.

9. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

We only have enough oil to last until like 2040 or 2050 :(

10. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

By the time self driving cars are require, if ever, I'll be old and tired of driving so I'll probably embrace it.
    I'll keep a few classics to drive on occasion, of course :rolleyes:

11. HadACoolName

HadACoolName
    Expand Collapse

I hate being the passenger in a car, I would never embrace self driving cars unless I was crippled

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

I also hate being the passenger in cars. I enjoy driving and the opportunities it holds for fun.
    But everyone gets tired of the normal daily-driving routine to and from work or whatnot eventually.
    When I'm old, don't have much energy, and I'm too boring to do anything fun with cars anymore and it just becomes another part of my day, I might be interested in a self-driving car.
    That's decades down the road though, if I'm somehow not dead by then.

13. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

He's a crape one then. In the 80's it was predicted we had 1-200 years of oil. Its now predicted we have less than 50 and that is from the major oil companies. you can look it up for yourself but there is no current reputable source estimating anywhere near 150 years.
    The institute of mechanical engineers believes we only have 40 years at current production and usage rates.

14. Ghost187

Ghost187
    Expand Collapse

me:
    self driving cars = less to no accidents/ no drunk driving/ no speeding = better living
    oil running out = forces puny humans to resort on clean(er) energies/ less natural dissasters = better living
    ...cant wait

most people:
    nah, i want to drive myself and feel big, independent and mighty while doing so. and if i hit someone. itz their fault, im american.
    oil make ma car and all the smoky machines that letz me be lazy go... so itz cant be bad.

sometimes i hate to be me, i imagine how easy evereything would be with the mindstate of most people.

15. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Well, for car enthusiasts a self driving car is like a game with an AI controlled player character. Would you play it?

16. Ghost187

Ghost187
    Expand Collapse

of course not... but the point of a game is to play, the point of a car is getting from one point to another.

17. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

If cars were only for getting from one point to another, sports cars would never have existed. You could argue that computers were made for work and therefore gaming PCs are useless, same thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. SquidBonez

SquidBonez
    Expand Collapse

Umm, no, like I said, we have enough oil to last us AT LEAST a century and a half. So right now, the amount of oil isn't a problem. I go back to what I said, back in 1980ish people thought oil would run out in 2010. 5 years past then and the oil supply is still un-dented.

19. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

no, we don't

20. SquidBonez

SquidBonez
    Expand Collapse

I've seen estimates from 20 years to 400 years. But, since I know my dad's friend IRL, I just seem to trust him more (as it is his job). But hey, I won't bash you for having a different view on the subject. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice