1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Question for Developers

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by DapperDan, Sep 28, 2018.

1. DapperDan

DapperDan
    Expand Collapse

So, BeamNG.Drive has very advanced vehicle destruction physics, so in theory, would it be possible to have a destructible environment( if, say, a gas pump is hit it explodes, or if someone crashes into a tree, the tree will break/fall down/ or some leaves/branches come off and so on).

Imagine hitting a bridge with such force that the bridge crumbles and breaks.

I personally think that a destructible environment would not be possible due to Torque3d limits or pc limits but I'm sure that it will be possible in the future.

So my question for the BeamNG team is: Is it theoretically possible, in the future for BeamNG.Drive to have a destructible environment

#1 DapperDan, Sep 28, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. BryceCharters

BryceCharters
    Expand Collapse

3. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Torque3D has little to do there.

You can build pretty much most things, if they are physically accurate.
    As you may have seen, the physics engine currently likes better complex and few objects (less or equal than available CPU threads).

There are ways to solve this, but needs time and research (as anything else). Ultimately, it also depends what you mean by destructible environment: an entire forest ( x| ), or just a few special objects on a level.

4. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

if multiple objects is a limiting factor (as in, too many "prop" jbeamed items) like trees or light posts...would a theoretical workaround be that, for example, a street lined with light poles would be 1 jbeamed item? like, 20 light poles going down the street could technically be considered one item, maybe a beam (or beams) connecting them underground, with the verticaL poles have beams that extend from nodes on the long
    "underground" beams?

EDIT

Heres a rudimentary diagram explaining what I mean...something like this I think would be doable, no? And is there a way to load a level with jbeam props already loaded?

Attached Files:

• PROOFOFCONCEPT.png
    #4 SHOme1289, Sep 28, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice