1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Performance on Bootcamped Mac

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Superbird11, May 25, 2017.

1. Superbird11

Superbird11
    Expand Collapse

Hi there

I have a 2016 MBP with 16gb of ram, the i5 6267U and the Iris 550.

Is BeamNG playable if I install Windows on this machine?

2. Inertia

Inertia
    Expand Collapse

Unfortunately I don't think it will be, not unless you turn down your settings to at least medium and run at 720p. Could be wrong however, it's been a while since I've kept up to date with Mac stuff, but I can't imagine it running too well. You can try downloading the techdemo, however it is a bit outdated and performance has got significantly better since. If you can run the techdemo well chances are you will be able to run the full game even better.

The techdemo link is on the main page here, underneath the "Buy BeamNG.drive on Steam" section: https://www.beamng.com/

3. stbest95

stbest95
    Expand Collapse

it will run, but probably not very well.
    i have been running the game on a 2011 macbook pro in the past and i had some serious issues with thermal throttling.
    it did run okay for a few minutes but then the fps would drop to unplayable levels.
    maybe try to find out if the 2016 mbp relies on thermal throttling or if fans are strong enough this time.

4. IceyChow

IceyChow
    Expand Collapse

Hey, I've been running BeamNG on my late 2013 rMBP (i5-4288U/16GB/256GB/Iris 5100) with 50GB partitioned for windows 8 (cbb updating lol). I've been able to run BeamNG at 1280x800 (sigh) low everything, no shadows, normal/high for mesh+textures. It's gotten a lot slower (I think the SSD is starting to fail) meaning load times are extensive and changing parts in game is a painful wait. With 'disable collisions' on I can get 40-50fps on a good day with fans full tilt in basic maps (Grid/VR City) and mid 30's in everything else. Recently started playing on a gaming desktop pc so I haven't touched the mac in ages so YMMV.
    The Iris 550 should be pretty competent as is the skylake 28W U-series CPU, but maybe not for 1080p :)

5. Superbird11

Superbird11
    Expand Collapse

My gpu (if you can call it one) is about 65-75% faster than yours, the cpu is slightly faster as well and the SSD is miles ahead, so it should work sort of, right?

6. Srockzz

Srockzz
    Expand Collapse

Thermal throttoling is a problem in macs if you didnt know. You may be able to have a enjoyable time, but then the performance will drop like a brick in water.

7. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Haha XD still seem to be the oldest Mac on here running Beam...

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro
    MacOS and Windows 10
    16Gbs of Ram
    1TB SSD Sata 3 (my MBP only handles sata 2 but I had this so why not)
    Intel Cor2Duo 2.4GHz
    NVidea 320M Graphics card.

I could get up to 30fps on grid map, but anywhere else your fps just tanks... your graphics will be the one thing completely bottlenecking the system as it was for me. If my old computer could run it though, yours should be fine.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

I've got older but sadly the GPU doesn't support dx10 or 11 so rip beam

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice