PC build help. (I know many people have asked)

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by IBsenoj, Nov 27, 2015.

1. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4N89kL

ALSO I know that cpu looks weak, but I'm planning on OC'ing it to 4 GHZ

There's the build I made in 20 minutes.

I am wondering how long this build will last with medium to high setting @60 fps in 1080p

2 years, x years?

I need someone to make a list for a build that can run next-gen games and at those settings above.

Help?

cheap, but it needs to meet those standards. so if that won't, do whatever it takes.

#1 IBsenoj, Nov 27, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  2. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

please help... I need this build asap.

3. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

CPU is decent but two cores will hurt you in the future, a GTX 960 is plenty good enough for most things at 1080p, and I have that case, and I'll tell you it's pretty good, although IMO there's to much ventilation for small to medium systems - this case is ready for SLI and full rad watercooling, which neither you or I really need.

When it comes to FPS in BeamNG, the 960 will do you good at normal settings, no fancy postfx or dr, I'll say always above 50FPS. Don't expect to run more than one vehicle very well, a vehicle on each core plus the load of windows and the rest of the game will tank the FPS.

I can't speak for the future of CPUs, it seems we've hit a wall with architecture improvements, but I would say the 960 would become out of date in 2 years, though the CPU will already give you trouble (Far Cry 4, anyone?)

• Like Like x 1
  4. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

The CPU is not that decent, IMO... While it may be far better than some of the trash sold in current bottom-feeder consumer machines, it's still just a dual core part. It also lacks hyperthreading, an important factor that helps in some cases where core-count is too low. Current benchmarks show at least several games suffering on even the fastest dualcores. IMO this trend will continue at a steep rate due to a combination of current console configurations and the fact that the PC "gaming builds" are all quadcore or more now. I'd go with a used modern quadcore in an instant vs a dual core CPU - especially for BeamNG.drive.

If your budget is $462 (low) and you want the system to be as futureproof as possible... I think you'd be best served by eliminating the aftermarket HSF assembly and low-end fancy chassis. Either get an old, used chassis for free somewhere or purchase the absolute cheapest thing you can find. The ATX standard has been around a long time now, you'll find people using ATX computer chassis to prop up tables and things. They regularly get sent to the dump or shipped off for scrap. In other words a used, unattractive ATX chassis should be quite easy to get for free now - and your attractive one is eating up nearly 9% of your budget by itself! If you completely eliminate those two items that gives you $60 extra to put towards the CPU...

• Find another $60 somewhere in addition to the case/heatsink savings and you've got enough for the i5-4590.
    • Personally, I figure that CPUs never die, so I see no harm in picking up a used CPU. Ivy Bridge Core i5 units can be had on eBay for a hair over $120... although you'll need a HSF assembly again, so that's +$20 over your current build since you've got to keep the Cooler Master or similar in there. <- Sorry, I forgot that Ivy Bridge was still s1155 - you'll want to skip on to the next bullet point since s1155 motherboards are few and far between now, having been outmoded by newer sockets.
    • If you're willing to go back one more generation (losing between 10% and 20% performance per generation), the smart money ends up on buying a whole used PC - see my posts in this thread. TLDR: You could get your total outlay down to ~$400 with your current graphics cards selection - and still have a faster PC. Of course there's no changing the fact that we're talking about a budget PC with all the caveats that implies.
    As a parting shot, I don't recommend new gaming builds with 8GB of RAM anymore. It's easy for a Chrome session to eat 8GB by itself. Same applies to many other things - it's easy to find yourself starved for memory with only 8GB. That's something that you can deal with though - close all other apps when it's time to game if necessary. DDR3 RAM won't be this cheap forever, but I think you've got some breathing room before the price goes up significantly. With 4 slots you can easily upgrade to 16GB or 24GB when your budget allows.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Drivver

Drivver
    Expand Collapse

6. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

updated the build, what do you think?

7. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

also, i dont have a budget, just give me something that'll last, but is cheap.

8. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

9. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

• I'd think hard about an SSD, it makes a big difference not in your framerate but in the general responsiveness of the PC. I try and push people towards a 512GB or more for the SSD, 256GB starts to feel constricting quickly. 512GB can comfortable with a little occasional swapping of files to your rotating HDD.
    • I'm not really familiar with the AMD lineup right now, so I can't speak to Drivver's AMD recommendation. It seems that while AMD can win on price-to-performance sometimes, the drivers can be a problem. I've been on nVidia for a while and I just pay the premium. I'm constantly disappointed by graphics anomalies in modern games no matter how much money I throw at them, so that's a 'meh' point. Take a close look at the AMD card - maybe you're leaving performance on the table with your GTX 960 selection IBsenoj.
    • It's not a big deal, but I'd go with one 2x8GB kit rather than two 2x4GB kits.
    It looks like you're on the right track now, you generally won't lose out too badly with stuff in this performance range and above.

Don't forget that you'll need a Windows license as well, that adds a few bucks.

10. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

yeah, honestly, I'm not a fan of amd

11. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

I guess I didn't notice your sig or read your OP very well. Is this system a gift? If you're dead serious about 60fps in 1080p all the time... you'll definitely need to use medium settings with that GTX 960: http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1596

12. DavidTheTechGeek

DavidTheTechGeek
    Expand Collapse

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KYJnxr
    A better build for about 100 dollars more. If you have the extra cash, go for an AMD GPU. They are well worth it in my opinion. For the price, you are getting way more than a 960 for a bit more money.

13. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

I agree the Dual cores will hurt down the road you need to at least have a quad core processor there which will allow for the machine to be better suited to the needs down the road...

But that is a personal view of mine okay!

#14 RobertGracie, Nov 27, 2015
  14. Drivver

Drivver
    Expand Collapse

There's nothing you should worry about with AMD's GPUs novadays - also help them to get out of deep hole, if they'll keep their salary on same level they are gone in 2022. (fight against giant Intel (CPUs) and very big Nvidia is difficult for just big AMD) If Nvidia will be last GPU producer, cards will be ofcourse more expensive, same with Intel's CPU.

Anyway the MSI R9 380 Gaming 4GB is best what you can add in this pice line, I bought it too. For BeamNG you need beefy CPU, thats why I put 4690k and very good Motherboard for OC, if you will not OC don't pick that expensive mobo and BOX cooler will be enough. i5 4460 doesn't bottleneck graphic cards like GTX960 / R9 380 in 98% of games, it handles GTA V at veryhigh / ultra with FHD @ 60fps, well if you wanna see examples on your own i searched for YT vids.

GTA V - 1080p, very high / ultra -

Crysis 3 - 1440p, very high -

Witcher 3 - 1080p, ultra -

Peoples even uses this CPU to play with GTX 970, which example is in crysis and witcher vids. Also you don't need better cooler for it, it's not as hot as i7 4790 would be which have same BOX cooler, just change thermal paste to something like Arctic Silver. So you don't OC that CPU it's obvious, you don't need to OC RAM so you don't need better MOBO for that budget PC than MSI H81m-P33, which is very cheap and very very good for it's price. About HDD/SDD depends on how much space you need I personaly use max 150GB, and I'm using my PC about 3-5hrs everyday. I keep my computer clean and safe (without any AntiViruses) so that's why i recomend that SSD, it's also very reliable and cheap for it's quality, they stopped producing it and will replace with slower version. And if you'll need more, you can always buy a cheap HDD to keep files like music and videos on it. About RAM well 8GB is enough for everything for me, but I'm never multitasking, when I play every single program which isn't important while playing is closed. In future it may be not enough, but well RAM is cheap so when you'll feel that you need more you could just buy more. I can rebuilt that build but tell me exactly how much disk space you need and what games will you play. If you wouldn't play BeamNG, or you don't need it to run on high settings don't choose anything better than i5 4460, it can handle everything very well.

Forgive me my english grammar, I've never learned english in school - I know it from MMO games where most non native english players uses it wrong.

#15 Drivver, Nov 27, 2015
  15. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

Okay guys, I'm just going to buy a card and pop it in my old pc.

which one? (going for $200)

ASUS GeForce GTX 960 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5

SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 290 4GB 512-Bit GDDR5

16. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

I'm thinking of the R9...

17. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Looks like the R9 290 is faster and costs more money. Nothing crazy there..

EDIT: also, fwiw, you are now comparing a DX11 part with DX12 parts... without going to look it up, I think it's safe to assume that the 290 is last-gen. Since you're so worried about future-proofing...

#18 torsion, Nov 27, 2015
  18. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

so for beamng, which one do I go for, and for future proofing.

19. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

For BeamNG I figure none of this matters. You shouldn't be GPU-bound in general at 1080p. For future proofing it's going to be hard to argue in favor of an older part...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice