Pallet Prop

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by YellowRusty, Oct 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. YellowRusty

YellowRusty
    Expand Collapse

I was looking back through the pictures we have of WCUSA, and I realized something I hadn't before. Take a look at the right edge of this picture:

Pallets, all nicely modeled and stacked, looking for all the world ready to be loaded up and shipped out. They appear to be using the same model as the Tasti-cola load for the Randolph Dry Van, which brings to mind the fact that WCUSA will bring lots of warehouses and loading docks to Beamng.

Leaving aside for the moment that a forklift would be an excellent addition to the game (exclusively rear-wheel steering is something not found on any vehicle yet, just about every auto mechanic's shop needs a forklift to unload parts or assist in engine swaps, and loading other vehicles would make for interesting scenarios/campaign episodes), an official pallet prop would be a useful, entertaining standalone prop.

Delivery missions have been and are planned to be such an integral part of Beamng that I can't imagine the finished game shipping without some form of pallet prop. Even if a forklift is a long way into the future, it may be worth putting into development soon so that it can be optimized over a long period of time.

Just think of all the possible loads that could be added to the pallet just by drawing on existing props! Other than cartons of Tasti-cola; cinderblocks, steel barrels, stacks of tires, and car engines are all usually shipped on wooden pallets.

On the other, more crash-related hand:

Assuming that each board in the pallet was individually JBeamed so it could break apart on impact in a similar manner to the piano, it would be a plausible and visually interesting obstacle for stunt courses in industrial areas. It would also be satisfying to watch breaking apart as it spills out of a truck!

Come to think of it, spilled pallets are not something you want to try driving over - They're low enough to pass under the front bumper of most cars, but still high enough to strike suspension and drivetrain components. I'm not entirely certain of what happens when a car runs over a pallet on the freeway, but I did managed to find several news reports that indicated "vehicle damage" and "loss of control" are common when such accidents occur.

In short, I think that a pallet would be a great addition to the game for increased variety and realism in delivery situations, more visually spectacular crashes, and as a prop that could easily damage a car's undercarriage.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. CreasingCurve

CreasingCurve
    Expand Collapse

Not sure what workshops you have been to but a forklift is not what is recommended to use.
    --- Post updated ---
    Good idea though. A forklight would be an awesome addition to the game, especially the relatively small amount of effort needed to create something as fun as a forklift would be.

3. YellowRusty

YellowRusty
    Expand Collapse

No matter where you go, a forklift will eventually be involved in an engine swap. It's either going to be

A) bringing the fresh new engine in on a pallet or B) serving as a makeshift engine hoist

Type B is a tactic more common to shadetree mechanics, junkyard engine removals, and desperate pit-row engine swaps in lower-budget racing series. It's a bad sign if you walk into a professional mechanic's shop and see an engine dangling on chains.

Anyway, while a forklift would be nice, it's not the main focus of my suggestion at the moment. I'm campaigning for a wooden pallet prop:

Do you think that one of those could be fun enough on its own to justify being in the game before the eventual forklift?

#3 YellowRusty, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  4. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

Yes. How would you want it to deform? Like the cars currently do, or fiberglass deformation?

Also, it'd be nice if it could catch fire too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. YellowRusty

YellowRusty
    Expand Collapse

I'd probably want it to deform like the Piano currently does. I don't know about it catching fire though - there's no way that a pallet can self-ignite, and there isn't any way for fire to spread to vehicles or props from other burning objects. I'd definitely be open to allowing players to ignite it via the "funstuff" menu though.

6. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

That's what I meant.

7. CaptanW

CaptanW
    Expand Collapse

this could be a nice little addition like the piano was. Would be cool to crash into a huge stack of em.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice