Unsolved Painting terrain, corrupted my map

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by CrashHard, Jul 28, 2018.

1. CrashHard

CrashHard
    Expand Collapse

I was painting the terrain on my map and hit undo on someting that was wrong, and the game crashed,
    now it will not load my map anymore! ? how can this be fixed?
    crappy_editorerror.jpg

2. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

I recommend that before you do anything else you make a separate backup of all of your map files. (eg not replacing any previous backups!) In the process of backing things up you should not overwrite any files no matter what. This probably means backing up folders such as these, again they should be kept separate:
    Documents\BeamNG.drive\mods\unpacked\my_map
    Documents\BeamNG.drive\levels\my_map

Please take care of that before reading the rest of this post. :D

1. I assume that your screenshot is the initial crash.
      1. What happens when you try to load your map now?
      2. Errors?
      3. Console output?
    2. Do you have an older backup that does still work?
    3. Have you tried renaming the cache folder?

I recommend that you backup frequently into versioned directories while working on a mod like this. Using a version control system would be even better, but I don't do that so I can't say much about it. I'm sloppy with my naming too, but it gives me something to go back to when things go awry:
    upload_2018-7-28_12-38-27.png

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. CrashHard

CrashHard
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for the tips :)
    The error was from when I tried to reload the map, after the first crash.
    I had the zip file, so all is not lost.
    And I moved all the map files from Documents\BeamNG.drive\levels\my_map to a backup folder, and then moved the files back one by one, to see what file that may cause this error, (It was the terrain file)
    I do not know how this happened (never happened before)
    So for now I just have to start over with the terrain file from the zip file

• Like Like x 1
  4. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

You're welcome for the advice. I'm glad that you were able to go back to the terrain file from your zip. In the past I have had many crashes with the map editor. Some game versions are worse than others, and sometimes the crashes cause problems like what you have experienced here. Backing up periodically is the only way to protect yourself.

People sometimes ask how often they should back up. I recommend using a simple 'rule of thumb' to determine this for yourself. Figure out the point where you'd be really upset if you lost your work since the last backup - once you reach that point it's definitely time to backup again!

Personally I backup any time I feel that I've made significant progress. Sometimes this means I've finished a task, but sometimes not. In those cases I backup even though my project is in a total non-working state, or in the case of a map it may be in an "in between" state, not necessarily a good stopping point or anything. I also backup whenever I can't remember whether I need to backup. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. CrashHard

CrashHard
    Expand Collapse

Yes, that is a good rule of thumb :) Think I will do that now ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice