1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Overlocking eats FPS. :/

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by FilsFilms, Jul 29, 2015.

1. FilsFilms

FilsFilms
    Expand Collapse

Created new thread due to that thread was alone.
    So, I've I5-4690K with basic 3.5GHZ frequency.
    Overlocked to 4.7GHZ today and... It's ate 30FPS from BeamNG.
    At 3.5 was 60FPS on GridMap.
    At 4.7 it's 30FPS on the same map.
    Spawning cars doesn't affect on FPS. Still 30FPS with 4 cars. :/
    Help.

Had 55FPS with 3 cars on this map (3.5). It's pretty huge.
    Now it's like 20-25FPS. :/
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    cd0043e60e.png

2. NistingurA

NistingurA
    Expand Collapse

overclocking means your CPU gets hotter. If your CPU gets hotter, It automaticly reduces the power

3. FilsFilms

FilsFilms
    Expand Collapse

cff8233ae5.png
    :///

4. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Yes but GTA and goat simulator barely even touch your CPU, Beam hogs it like no tomorrow.

It is fully possible that with an overclocked chip and BeamNGs higher CPU usage that its simply overheating and underclocking again.

What cooler do you use?

5. FilsFilms

FilsFilms
    Expand Collapse

This.
    (Google pics)
    335548549.jpg

6. burilkovdeni

burilkovdeni
    Expand Collapse

What map is that ?

7. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Shorty's Pass WIP by Ouerbacker.

8. CryDev

CryDev
    Expand Collapse

I had a problem with my i7 4770 i got half sync without vsync on but i removed the fps limiter and am getting over 60.

9. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

1: Turn off Vsync.
    2: Open something like HWMonitor and then play BeamNG for awhile. Then tell us what the max CPU temps were because it is possible that your CPU is overheating and throttling to keep itself from getting too hot, but this reduces FPS.

10. smyljr

smyljr
    Expand Collapse

i think this might be related, i've been having overheating problems since the new ui update. i can't run beamng for more than 15 minutes without my cpu overheating. it's not the room temperature, and it's not the cleanliness of my case, beam ng is causing my processor to heat to unusable levels, even with the graphics turned down and the fps limited, though limiting the fps helps. picture related: UOSAe0H.png

am i doomed to get a water cooler? would this even help?

11. KennyWah

KennyWah
    Expand Collapse

Can't overclocking create instability and errors in computing even with proper cooling?

12. smyljr

smyljr
    Expand Collapse

it can, and does with beam ng. i'm having this issue with standard clocking. i actually tried underclocking, and it helps, but the frame rate drops severely.

13. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

What cooler are you using?

beamng is highly cpu intensive and can easily cause otherwise unseen cooling issues in your setup to appear, it's due to the CPU intensity that changing graphics options doesn't help.

14. smyljr

smyljr
    Expand Collapse

i don't know specifically, it's nothing special, and the L.E.D. fans are kind of slow too. the main wonder i have, is that older versions, before i saw this error message, got my computer hot, but not overheating. even running 5 cars on ai, it would max the fans, but not put it past 65C. now, i just start a freeroam, don't even move, and i'm already at 70C and rising, and beam ng using 40% of the cpu. just sitting still.

15. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

40% CPU usage is normal. THat figure represents usage across *all* cores. In a quad core, if just core 0 is loaded to 100% but the others arent touched, windows will report 25% usage.

BeamNG runs each vehicle in its own thread. Windows tries to allocate each thread to its own core. Performance for BeamNG does really change by whether the vehicle is moving or not, its still running the same physics calculations either way. 1 vehicle, big old intensive thread loaded up, windows will probably stick it on core 1 while steam and everything else is whacked on core 0. If core 1 gets maxed out, thats 25% load already.

I would check you havent acquired any background software or malware since. Also check that the CPU cooler is not clogged with dust, you might also need to replace the thermal paste if its been installed for a few years.

I use a Hyper 212 Evo, it doesnt seem to clog with dust at all and keeps my supposedly 95W CPU at 45c in BeamNG.

16. FilsFilms

FilsFilms
    Expand Collapse

Vsync helped me, haha!
    Finally these 60FPS.
    Thanks, btw there're these screenshots.
    1. Before starting BeamNG.
    b06ea70f8e.png

2. After starting BeamNG. (GridMap, 1car)
    167d8d97d8.png

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice