1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Overclocking a mobile i5, is it possible?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Arm0sius, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Arm0sius

Arm0sius
    Expand Collapse

I would like to overlock my quad core i5 2410M so I could run BeamNG more smoothly. So, is it possible?

2. DrowsySam

DrowsySam
    Expand Collapse

Overclocking a laptop CPU? Really not a good idea, and your BIOS probably won't even let you do that.

If you do, something would most likely go wrong with it, and you'd probably only gain 1fps. Wouldn't recommend.

3. pulley999

pulley999
    Expand Collapse

I happen to own a laptop with that same processor. Overclocking is not a good idea (the game runs fine on puregrid w/ 4 covets/d15s/grand marshalls, not CPU bound.) More than likely the limiting factor is your iGPU, assuming you don't have a discrete GPU. Get maps like Jalkku's racetrack, Nadeox1's parking lot derby, or generally other maps without a lot of vegetation. Heck, maybe make your own map, the editor is easy enough to learn, just hard to master.

EDIT: Depending on when you bought the laptop, and if you ignore those laptop checkup things, your graphics drivers may be horrendously out of date. If you tell us what OS you're running and 32/64bit variant, we could link you the correct drivers. Toshiba actually factory installed the wrong drivers onto my laptop, (HD4000 drivers instead of HD3000 which all 2410Ms shipped with, which led to all sorts of problems related to my computer thinking it had a better GPU than it actually did.) Easily gained 5-15 FPS in most games by updating my drivers.

EDIT2: Make sure your power consumption mode is set to "Performance." This will likely cause your battery life to plummet, but will also allow the laptop to use the full capability of its hardware at any time it wishes.

#3 pulley999, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  4. Motovader72

Motovader72
    Expand Collapse

Even if your BIOS allowed it, you shouldn't.

When you overclock your processor gets much hotter than
    at stock speeds, which is why most over clockers buy after
    market CPU coolers, which you cannot.

Your CPU would be in a perpetual state of thermal shut down
    or worse, fry the CPU or something on the board or internals
    from all the heat produced.

5. Arm0sius

Arm0sius
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the info guys. Changed my mind. Still I'm going to get a better laptop because a desktop PC wouldn't be a a good idea for me. That laptop will be something like GT 740M, i5 3230M, 8 GB of RAM.

6. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Well, your BIOS almost definitely won't let you and I don't think you can increase voltage without a hardware mod (You can decrease it with software like I do with my laptop CPU. It runs max speed at about .2v lower than stock just fine.) There is a chance you could do it with SetFSB if the PLL is supported but I wouldn't really expect it to be supported for a laptop like yours.

Really, just buy a gaming laptop or get a good desktop.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice