On mesh roads...

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by iheartmods, Jan 7, 2014.

1. iheartmods

iheartmods
    Expand Collapse

Decal roads are great but as they glue to every terrain contour, smooth roads are quite near impossible. Now mesh roads, in my mind, would seem to fix that BUT...I don't know if there is a way to get them working. When I create one in game, the mesh road is completely intangible...I can drive right through them...the car doesn't go on them...

Any ideas?

2. KiloHotel

KiloHotel
    Expand Collapse

Yeah. Wait till the developers implement them correctly with the physics, if they ever do.

3. ultranew_b

ultranew_b
    Expand Collapse

I was asking about these as well, not long back.

Road-Mesh-Tool-Possible-Fix-For-No-Collision

Devs are aware of problem.

I also tried creating the road with the mesh tool and exporting it to .dae (File Menu -> export to COLLADA...). Then import into blender, adding collision to the model and exporting the road into the ed.

This didn't work sadly. The exported .dae file is messed up when imported into Blender. There is a mesh, it's horribly mutilated tho :p

:D

#3 ultranew_b, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  4. Jack Attack

Jack Attack
    Expand Collapse

I've always hated bumpy roads. Hopefully this gets implemented in the future.

5. ultranew_b

ultranew_b
    Expand Collapse

Aside from making nice smooth roads easily, they can also be used for creating guardrails that follow the road, which is really nice.

6. Straubz

Straubz
    Expand Collapse

^This:p, i also use it for bunting since its not contactable, hopefully there will be an option to make it contactable or not.

7. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

8. boshimi336

boshimi336
    Expand Collapse

I would love to see correctly deformable and full physics guard rails implemented, not sure how that could be done without killing the CPU though.

9. lukerules117

lukerules117
    Expand Collapse

By waiting until CPUs capable of handling it are made.

10. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

I hate if people use this argue without any background to base it upon.
    You have no idea which model/mesh shape is supposed to be handled, so you also don't know the polycount, nor the beam&node count. Additional you dont know how much of the mesh in question someone would like to use in his map. and so on...

For the meantime i started to work on this:
    http://www.beamng.com/threads/6814-Modular-Mesh-Roads-Pack-v-0-0-1
    Not as comfortable as drawing a spline, but way better than the terrain editor. :p

11. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

If you can handle 1 car you can handle some rails with a few nodes/beams. The problem (I think gabester said this) is how to make them stick to the ground.

12. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

only thing i could imagine from my novice point of view, is something like this:
    Demonstration-NPD-01-05-Absperrungen.jpg

What i imagine, correct me when im dreaming please.^^
    The base could be completly invisible and have no collision, like used on roadsigns allready i think, but would have to be excessively heavy weighted.
    Something like 5+ times the grand marshals weight, as long the jbeams dont explode or fail on other ways, i would imagine to get quite some resistance.
    The rail itself may be detached like a car door in case of to much force, as real rails dont withstand unlimited forces either.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice