1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Oil Coolers...Can they have fans?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by jtreign9097, Feb 16, 2017.

1. jtreign9097

jtreign9097
    Expand Collapse

Can fans work on oil coolers? i will try but if there's a method for this that
    i may be doing wrong any Dev or someone with knowledge on this please let me know!

}
    "pickup_oilcooler_old": {
    "information":{
    "authors":"BeamNG",
    "name":"Small Sketchy Oil Cooler",
    "value":1,
    },
    "slotType" : "pickup_oilcooler",

"mainEngine":{
    "oilRadiatorArea":0.10,
    "oilRadiatorEffectiveness":1500,
    "oilThermostatTemperature":108
    },
    },
    }

can i use these values? below?

"oilFanType":"electric",
    "oilFanTemperature":105
    "oilFanMaxAirSpeed":2.0,

2. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

No they can't have fans. Why would you want a fan on an oil cooler? I mean it's not like your oil is going to overheat while idling at the next traffic light ;)
    Or are you trying to use that oil cooler for a different thing?

3. jtreign9097

jtreign9097
    Expand Collapse

I know the oil cooler as-is is Perfect.. but i was curious if i could get oil to cool down faster with the fan idea at idle if i pegged the revs too high and stop to cool it off instead of finding water and driving car in to cool off everything lol... i have seen oil coolers with fans. i personally used one with motorcycle style fans with a switch for when i towed and used another oil-cooler for my trans cooler and did the same with the fan setup.. both fans i had on a relay system... i used coolant temp sensors.. one in the input side of the cooler. same setup for trans cooler so the fans kick on independently...or by switch to bypass... was a dream come true pulling 7,800lbs with a Ford 460 with an automatic in a 1980 F250 going up mountains not worrying about the trans as i watched the temp gauges for oil/trans.... before i did this mod pulling my 16ft Camper fully loaded caused the trans to get hot and also the giant 460 didn't like the revs i needed to go up these insane grades coolant pushed 230F-235ish.... with the coolers i ranged 210F-215F the 7,800 load was a box trailer that held 2 cars... motor is fine and trans has a shift kit and 4.11 gears.... with the custom coolers i made used from aluminum motorcycles radiators and my final project will be a small early 80's honda civic radiator...not sure how i will mount it..... any way yea long story...

***but fans shouldn't be to hard to port into the game if they function with the radiators with a very similar system.... one last question are the materials for the radiators and oil-coolers Aluminum/Copper? if not is there any unused setting the game uses default settings if non are set. like fan blades or clutch fans for the mechanical ones? if more detailed stuff exists

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice