Objects export with LOD's help needed

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by DeGa, Apr 12, 2015.

1. DeGa

DeGa
    Expand Collapse

Hello,

I have been trying to export objects from Blender to BeamNG including LOD levels and collision meshes (and ideally billboards too), but I seem to fail, even though I am following the steps described in the wiki: http://wiki.beamng.com/Exporting_static_objects

My Blender scene setup looks like the following:
    Blender.jpg

Note that I still don't understand the logics of the grouping:
    - Why do I have an empty group collision-1? How does it relates to my Colmesh-1 mesh?
    - Why do I have two levels of detail under the "base01" group, in addition of the ones I have under my start01 group? (note that I have also tried with "base00" as a name, for the same results)

Whatever, I select all the nodes in my group, and export to Collada.

When I try importing this object in-game, I end up with an empty mesh. The bounds look OK though.
    in-game02.jpg

When I'm going into the shape editor, and enable the "levels", I find back my meshes as level 2 and 3, levels 0 and 1 being empty:
    in-game01.jpg
    in-game.jpg

So I'm pretty confused, and wonder what I'm doing wrong...

Also, the collision does not seem to work as of now. If I go into the collision tab and try to set the collision mesh to my colmesh, I get this:
    collision-01.jpg
    which seems to screw up my levels of detail. Then I get this:
    collision-02.jpg

So a bunch of errors there... I am pretty lost.

Note that I could import models in-game by just exporting the models straight, without any hierarchy. Obviously, no collion, no LOD's, no impostor then...

Help greatly appreciated!

- - - Updated - - -

Update: I got this working by:
    - Removing the underscore after the mesh names (was leading to a negative pixel value)
    - Moving my autobillboards and collision meshes to the root level, and not as children of base01

I am still unsure why this works though...

2. LJFHutch

LJFHutch
    Expand Collapse
    Environment Artist
    BeamNG Team

Hey haven't seen you for ages :) Okay, so ingame in the object editor pic you've got 4 levels, in order: main mesh, level of detail 1, billboard, collision (based on your blender export setup).

The issue is that you can't have just a number on the end, like deepak_150, change it to deepak_a150. Idk why it matters but it does.

A few more points:
    * Your collision mesh should be called "Colmesh-1", that was changed a while back.
    * The empty collision group just enables collision afaik ..... it might be useless.
    * If you don't have meshes in the objects (test_a150 and so on) they will just display blank.

3. DeGa

DeGa
    Expand Collapse

Hey Sam, thanks a lot for feedback, it helps tremendously. Indeed, been quite a while. I have a bit more time now, so am a bit back at it ;)

It looks like the underscore is interpreted as a minus sign - hence it worked, but led to negative values... quite useless.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice