Unsolved Normal map conversion issues

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by Teh Daemon, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Teh Daemon

Teh Daemon
    Expand Collapse

I've been trying to use command line interface of Compressonator to convert my png normal maps to dds. The issue is that the normal maps come out "wrong" in BeamNG; they look as though they've been flipped.

upload_2019-6-1_11-16-6.png

The above picture shows what I mean. The Chassis uses a normal map that has been exported either with Paint.Net or Crunch. The converted normal map produced by these two programs is correct. The rest of the car uses normal maps converted by Compressonator. As you can see, the shading is completely incorrect, making parts of the car appear in shadow where they shouldn't.

These are the settings I used to for each program:
    Compressonator: ATI2N
    Crunch: 3DC
    Paint.Net: BC5 (Linear) (from the export dds2 plugin)

As far as I'm aware, the three formats listed above are all exactly the same. With the compressonator, I also tried ATI2N_XY, ATI2N_DXT and BC5 to no avail (same result as shown in the picture).

I want to use compressonator over the other two programs as a), it would be extremely tedious converting 20+ maps in paint.net, and b) crunch for some reason doesn't support 16-bit PNGs as input. Crunch also doesn't support BC7 compression.

I've also attached the original test png and three converted dds files for anyone who wants to have a look.

EDIT: The issue seems to go away if you set shader quality to lowest. Is it possible that this is an issue with the graphics shader rather than the texture format?

upload_2019-6-1_12-4-7.png

Attached Files:

#1 Teh Daemon, Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice