WIP Beta released Graphics Mod AL - Fancy stuff instructions 20220818 for 0.25

Discussion in 'Mods and Skins' started by Brother_Dave, Jun 16, 2020.

1. HeadlightsThePerson

HeadlightsThePerson
    Expand Collapse

I love it my man!
    screenshot_2021-01-09_21-18-46.png screenshot_2021-01-09_21-21-31.png screenshot_2021-01-09_21-24-01.png

2. Exchy

Exchy
    Expand Collapse

I guess it was first time i've actually launched industrial since update
    upload_2021-1-10_22-10-54.png upload_2021-1-10_22-13-4.png upload_2021-1-10_22-13-49.png

3. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

4. Exchy

Exchy
    Expand Collapse

imported them like hour ago from nfs, want to get another 5, but beamng lighting is just horrible on it's own, everything in the shadow zone is just 3x darker

• Like Like x 1
  5. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Done some changes to my tonemapper, trying to achieve a more natural but saturated look, which changes depending on the average luminance of the screen :)

Vid reuploaded in better quality..

Vid here when upload is finished:

#225 Brother_Dave, Jan 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Frappy

Frappy
    Expand Collapse

After playing with this for a while, I feel like the shadows are wayyyy to dark and contrasty. For example when I'm modding my car, I want to look at a fender or something but I can barely see it because the shadows are just so dark.

7. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Yeah i know what you mean although i do use darker shadows than vanilla. Its basicly a trade off to get it to not look too bad at a specific time of day. Thats what im now trying to get around by setting the strength of the actual tonemapper AND exposure based on average luminance but its very experimental in the yet unreleased AL11 and might not make it to the final release.

8. Frappy

Frappy
    Expand Collapse

Gotcha, must be hard to balance all the shadows at all daytimes. Looking forward to AL10/11!

9. 1111milo

1111milo
    Expand Collapse

how do i get rid of it

• Like Like x 1
  10. ThatCarGuyDownTheStreet

ThatCarGuyDownTheStreet
    Expand Collapse

clear cache

• Like Like x 1
  11. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Read this thread. Youll find uninstallation notes in alot of places. The very first post is one of them.
    --- Post updated ---
    Ive done some changes to the tonemapping code to make it dynamic i.e. change strength and white balance using average luminance of the screen. Its not working as intended yet but im really happy with how this looks.

Ive gone for a GT Sports look but with more saturation in darker images, than what i think GT Sports have.
    Tell me what you think, looking at these somewhat low quality short vids :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Frappy

Frappy
    Expand Collapse

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Exchy

Exchy
    Expand Collapse

rims are real ones so i can't release it, headlights and parts are my own mod which is released, e'x parts for etk

14. Exchy

Exchy
    Expand Collapse

The game lacks depth haze tbh or some light scattering

15. Frappy

Frappy
    Expand Collapse

Question! Can I pair the latest version (AL10) with reshade presets? I was thinking of pairing this with Cessni's 2.0 preset, as it looks like it makes the mid tones and shadows brighter which would go well with AL10.

16. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Yes you should be able too, Reshade is an overlay program working like makeup, while mine changes the actual game files.

AL11 RELEASED
    AL11 RELEASED
    AL11 RELEASED

Trying to get more out of the screen by trying to implement dynamic tonemapping i.e. using average (not perceptual in this case) luminance of the screen to control different things such as shadows not getting too dark when the average luminance (brightness) is low. Not working 100% as intended BUT im really happy with this one :D:D

Quoting myself:
    "Ive gone for a GT Sports look but with more saturation in darker images, than what i think GT Sports have.
    Tell me what you think, looking at these somewhat low quality short vids :)"

Changelog from AL10 to AL11:

• Dynamic(?) Tonemapping
    • Adjusted light/shadow scales (might still be too bright at some small TOD at morning/evening for some folks)
    • I dont know anything else thats changed honestly but might look at the sun flares again in the future..

ANYWAYS, looks like the previously released vids:

Install:

1. ALTERNATIVE 1 - Open the Beamng launcher, hit Support Tools, Clear your cache. Dont start Beamng.
    -ALTERNATIVE 2 (i do this) - Go to your Documents/Beamng.drive-folder and delete the latest cache-folder, at the moment its called "cache.0.21.3.0". That way you wont loose as much stuff as compared to the Clear Cache-option.

2. Unzip the folders and the postfxpreset-file from the AL11.zip into your Documents/Beamng.drive-folder so that you get the folders called Art, Levels, Shaders and the AL11.postfxpreset-file into your Documents/Beamng.drive-folder like this (earlier AL version but you get the idea):

3. Open Beamng, click Options from the main menu. Make sure you have advanced menus activated to see the POST FX button.

4. Scroll down so that you see the POSTFX button. Click it. Click 'Load Preset...' and look up the file that was in the AL11.zip. should look like this:
    'This PC\Documents\BeamNG.drive\AL11.postfxpreset' , that way you also know youve extracted the folders and file correctly.
    * Make sure you activated all the PostFx stuff including light rays, its check boxes are above the POST FX button.

Done!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  17. Frappy

Frappy
    Expand Collapse

AL11 Looks great on vids but when I do it, it just looks like a washed out mess. Just makes the game a tiny bit brigthter if I compare it to vanilla, nothing like the videos. I have used and messed around with other AL versions and reshade so something is probably broken

18. T1RE$M0KE

T1RE$M0KE
    Expand Collapse

Same

19. Exchy

Exchy
    Expand Collapse

AL saying simply is contrast, it has clean weather and sharp shadows

20. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

And for a more detailed but short description:

• AL changes, on a shader code level, how colors are represented when going from HDR to a lower definition screen
    • AL changes the depth of normal maps and strength of specular maps
    • AL changes brightness throughout the time of day
    • AL changes sun and shadow strength and colors throughout the time of day
    • AL changes Light Ray intensity
    • AL changes all Bloom settings to mimic ray tracing
    • AL changes sun light flares
    • AL might get SSAO changes again, although atm its abit more complicated to sort after the revised but better SSAO was implemented by the devs
    AL is all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice