1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

New Sound Is SOOOO GREAT! **EXCEPT** It isn't working

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by krallopian, May 10, 2019.

1. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

@TDK You and/or your team on the sound have hit it way way way out of the park!!

The sound app is fantastic, SO nice to hear my car echoing off the walls from 100s of meters away now! The issue is, "my car" and not "my cars."

The tuning app only changes the spawn car, not cars cloned or otherwise. So if I make my first car nice and loud and beefy etc.. the next car spawned doesn't take the sound settings into account, AND adjusting them while driving the other car, still only affects the first spawn car.

I'm hoping this isn't anything major?

For now, back to screaming exhaust sounds!
    --- Post updated ---
    Also I cannot close the CTRL+F9 menu once it's been opened, and F10 isn't affecting anything other than changing the camera view to "free cam."

But seriously, this sound omfg!

2. Capkirk

Capkirk
    Expand Collapse

The tuning menu is only meant to help tune, it can't actually overwrite the game files or anything. You'll have to manually change the sound config if you want the changes to stay.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

I'm suggesting that I will change the sound and it applies to that one vehicle.

Then when I spawn a second vehicle, the tuner still only applies to the first vehicle. Not BOTH. I'm hoping we will be able to adjust ALL at once, or worst-case one at a time.

4. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

Hey, as Capkirk already mentioned, the tool is simply to help you tweak the settings in real time, to help get the correct values. It's then up to you to stick them in the jbeam files. There aren't currently any plans to do any more with this, but never say never.

Really pleased you're enjoying the sound, and thanks for the feedback :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

I got carried away with volumes, but all I ended up having to do was turn up my headphones and I got the same effect anyway. I didn't give the latest patch enough of a test run before trying it out. Also the CTRL+F9 thing was only an issue that one time running the game, numerous reloads haven't had it pop back up yet for me.

The sound distance is spectacular! I mentioned in another thread that now we just need further reaching sirens and afterfires are scary things and when INSIDE the car they're great but from outside they're quiet - quite the opposite from my experience =)

6. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

No, no. At Codies I got them to implement greater control over volume of groups of sound for DiRT2. I agree. What we probably won't do is give full control, but the ability to increase or decrease a certain sound set by up to 50% or something.

• Like Like x 1
  7. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

That's the sort of thing I've always loved in car games. Engine volume sliders that go past 11.

Also, I don't want to sound like the fanboy that I've just become over the past 10 minutes of poking around the internet, but PEOPLE if you haven't already, follow the links in TDK's signature! BeamNG is almost as lucky as we are to haven'm on board!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. CN877

CN877
    Expand Collapse

Funnily enough I did that yesterday, and his previous work experience is amazing to say the least :D

For anyone that doesn't know, this is where he has worked (taken directly from his website, sonicfuel.co.uk):

Aardvark Software, Audi Motorsport, BeamNG, Bullfrog Productions, Caterham Formula 1 Team, Catskills Records, Channel 5 Television, Chorley Music Consortium, Climax Group, Codemasters Software, Cruden Simulators, Crytek, Cyan Racing, Dovetail Games, Electronic Arts, Fragus BR Motorsport, Funfair Technologies, GT Interactive, Ideaworks 3D, Konami, McLaren Applied Technologies, McLaren Automotive, Massive Attack Tours, Mindscape International, Origin Incorporated, Outsource Media, Pearson, Projector Games, Sahara Force India Formula 1 Team, SCi, Software Toolworks, Sonic-Source, South Lancashire Arts Partnership, Supersonic Software, Team Lotus Formula 1 Team, TUTSongs, Twilight Software, Visual Science, Vivendi Universal, Vodafone McLaren Mercedes Formula 1 Team, Williams Formula 1 Team, Virgin Racing Formula 1 Team.

These are the games he has been involved in:

It appears TDK is a very well known name in the video game and sound industry ;)

• Like Like x 3
  9. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

er.... *blush* - I guess I've "been around a bit", just like a 'woman of the night' lol.

Pluses and minuses - I'm not the easiest person to work with, so the guys at Beam deserve a mention for putting up with me ;)

• Like Like x 3
  10. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

That's hilarious. I'm often told I'm quite difficult to work with - as in always :D Hey man, if you're going to do it, DO IT RIGHT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

11. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Every well talented person is difficult, it is a rule :)

Oooh, Wing Commander, how I miss that gem and Dirt Rally I consider one of the best sounding racing games in existence, but apparently BeamNG is close being at same level now and sound is probably not quite ready yet, so definitely happy customer :p

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

Reading that list of games he's been a part of gets me a little too excited - each one that I've played on that list I've always ESPECIALLY enjoyed the sound. I've only really ever appreciated the sound work of one other fellow in the biz and it turns out TDK and he have worked together AND that TDK saw him as an idol in the industry! I had no idea the game-audio world was such a tight knit community in this regard.

There was this band I absolutely loved going through college, "Joydrop." Grew up, moved on yadda yadda. I started frequenting this place in Toronto every Sunday and made good friends with a lot of people. One of them and I were talking about audio work and he brings me to his mobile recording truck and inside are boxes labled, "JOYDROP." I was so happy to see, "Wow I loved these guys back in the day! So cool to see this." He laughs and says, ". . . yeah right?" Turns out HE was one of them! Then the other guy there that runs the whole joint was their drummer! Then the main singer was coming in to town the next week! I was friends with them first and thought, "Damn you guys are good at what you do! It's so nice to see talent like this.." then suddenly I was all, "OMG IT'S YOU!!!" all the time having not known before.

I feel like that all over again with this realization of who/what TDK is. It's so nice to feel like I'm a part of this whole beamng group over the years watching it develop, sharing it with people, investing thousands of hours into it, then finding something like this out, "Wait. . . you're not just some random in the biz, you're actually a huge part of what I appreciate about the entire thing!?" I can't stand the "fanboy" mentality when it comes to professionals, people are just people, but gat dang some times it just takes over me and I have this need to say, "YOU ARE GOOD AT WHAT YOU DO AND ME TELLING YOU IS IMPORTANT!" hahahah

• Like Like x 2
  13. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

Yep, Wing Commander Amiga was my first solo gig, and got a full time job at the end of it. I was 19 at the time, and was about to go in to trainee management at a local supermarket. I never went to Uni as I wanted to do music technology, and at that time there were two courses. One wanted A grades at 'A Level' in maths, physics and music - that was never going to happen, and the other said that a classically trained musician won't be able to deal with music technology!

As for DiRT Rally, and most of our competitors - there's a LOT of fakery going on 'under the hood' to play back sound, whilst here things are done in a much more 'real world' way, which whilst is a great way to work, it can make things a lot more complex, plus we rely on those other systems existing in the first place - wheres as normally, you'd pretend.... that's why things take time, and can often be very difficult to implement.

But - the challenge is awsome! :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Tronadorous

Tronadorous
    Expand Collapse

As a sound designer my self for years as a hobby and from making a few sounds mods on here for BeamNG (which need seriously updating though...still, when i find time lol) to have you as part of BeamNG is excellent, your work has been excellent and having that type of flavour brought to this game is superb. The way some car games sound is going at the moment (looking at you Forza Horizon 4...) it's kinda depressing, when some of it is taking a downward turn. The sound banks and the granular sounds in that game, the ones it has and uses are awesome, but only equate to a handful of cars overall. Case and point in FH4 the new Audi R8 V10 Plus sound is absolutely awesome and sets such a high standard and then you get a dreadful sounding 2019 Corvette ZR1. However, being a fan more so of smaller, older, engines in the I4/I6/V6/V8 groups, there is much work to be done overall.

It's great to see the Sonory or the "Automation" sounds being fully realised in BeamNG as the quality is excellent and now we have more control over exhaust AND engine sounds separately, this motivates me a little more to remake and do more sound mods lol!

As a side note, I know it's not your department, but the "Sound" wiki section here on the site needs a serious update to address the changes that have been made over the last 3 or 4 major updates, it needs a lot more information on how to setup the extra .json info for exhausts, how each setting can effect the sound greatly, the desired and preferred format of sound files (mono, stereo, file format etc), starter sounds, backfire sounds and much more.

The audio engine is powerful and incredibly effective when used right with the correct sources and samples and types of sounds, but can get wildly complex and hard to tune when wikis and tutorials get left updated. Still, thankfully, the sound app released is proving to be a real help (and what helps is I still remember most of the practices lol), especially copying to clipboard! Much more to be done but we're in such a good place for sound currently, next up...backfires, that'll add a whole new level if those get improved further.

Keep up the excellent work @TDK and team in general :).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

That V10 Plus in the tunnels!! Then there's the Viper.. ;(
    --- Post updated ---
    Back fires, horns, skids. Quadruple+ their range.

16. Cutlass

Cutlass
    Expand Collapse

wow! TDK! you have so much talent! impressive! What the music in the automation collab called?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice