[NETWORK] Home network not functioning correctly

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Alex [ITA], Aug 14, 2019.

1. Alex [ITA]

Alex [ITA]
    Expand Collapse

Hey all! I've recently created a small home network:

1st router: Sercomm leased from ISP
    2nd router: D-Link DSL-2750B rev. D1
    Cable used: Cat.6 S-FTP
    My problem is that when I'm connected via wifi/ethernet from the first router I cannot access the web interface (it keeps loading until the request is expired) of the second router with its IP address (xxx.xxx.x.2, static IP address), but I can access the first router web interface (xxx.xxx.x.1), while when I'm connected to the wifi of the second router I can access both pages without problems. I've tested the entire system many times before making it permanent and it was working fine.
    I don't know what went wrong hereā€¦ The routers are connected with a 12m ethernet cable that goes through the electrical tubes (idk the exact name in english) and the connection with the cable is ok.
    Could someone help me solve this thing (if it's solvable).
    Thank you in advance!

#1 Alex [ITA], Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  2. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Has the second router actually had its routing functions disabled? Ensure the connection to the first router is via a LAN port *not* the WAN port and disable DHCP on it.

3. Alex [ITA]

Alex [ITA]
    Expand Collapse

I followed a small tutorial on how to set it up correctly. Disabled DHCP, set up a static IP and finally connection is via a LAN port (2nd one on the first router and 1st on second router). All the cables follow the 568A pinout method, if it could help.
    I've tested everything before installing it in its actual position and I could acces both the pages from whichever network I was connected to, that's the strange thing.
    Also, I've configured the second router while I was connected to its 4th port: I've moved the cable to the 1st one now since the 4th port has a strange behaviour: it blinks for two seconds (showing there is activity through the port), then it turns off for a bit and back on again for two seconds or so, something it didn't do during the tests. Could that be linked to the problem I'm having?

4. Svpracer

Svpracer
    Expand Collapse

I've had this issue before, I just connect via ethernet directly to the access point to make my changes... This way, if I reboot, I won't have to worry about being booted to the active network...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice