Need advice on a computer build.

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by AnIrishDerp, Nov 20, 2018.

1. AnIrishDerp

AnIrishDerp
    Expand Collapse

The build is done and turned out very well. Thanks to all the people that helped me out and gave advice along the way. I really appreciate it. There will be upgrades in the future. Thanks!

Parts List (completed build):
    CPU: Intel i5 8600K 3.6 GHz 6-core
    CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370P D3 ATX LGA1151
    RAM: 3x G.Skill Aegis 8 GB DDR4-3000
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD
    Solid State Drive: Kingston A400 120GB 2.5” SSD
    GPU: GeForce GTX 1050 TI 4 GB Gaming X 4G
    Case: CORSAIR 200R ATX Mid Tower
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular PSU
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer (for Windows 10 installation)
    Wireless Network Adapter Card: Asus PCE-AC55BT B1 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter
    Monitor: (Already have a TV to hook up to via HDMI cable, maybe a VGA later on)
    Keyboard and Mouse: Wireless Combo MK270 Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse
    Xbox One wireless controller and wireless adapter

Build completed on 12/30/2018. Runs BeamNG very well at the default settings (High) and ran very smooth on the new Italy map. My guess was that it was in the range of 45+ FPS. Loads quickly and is great for my needs. I also ran the physics benchmark on Beam and it can have a maximum of 16 realtime cars spawned. Not bad! I have parts lists organized for upgrades in the future such as a better mobo, extra case fans and fan controller, a better processor, etc.

#1 AnIrishDerp, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  2. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Avoid the 1030. It is not a gaming GPU at all. Most motherboards have adequate onboard sound so no point in getting a sound card unless you're an audiophile, and thatsound card isn't an audiophile card at all, just wasted money.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AnIrishDerp

AnIrishDerp
    Expand Collapse

What do you recommend for a GPU and sound card anyways? I had planned to get a 1050 Ti ACX 2.0

4. BannedByAndroid

BannedByAndroid
    Expand Collapse

How about you just omit the antivirus, sound card, the network card and the optical drive, and get a GTX 1060/RX 580* + SSD instead?
    (* If you plan to use the RX 580, please upgrade your PSU as well, since the RX 580 draws more power than the GTX 1060)

#4 BannedByAndroid, Nov 21, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  5. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

AVG antivirus is worse than windows 10 built in so yeah thats a waste of money I didnt notice.

Nobody uses optical drives these days so unless you're one of the rare few that do, waste of money.

Dont get a soundcard. Motherboard has one built in already so theres another waste of money.

1050Ti is minimum I'd ever consider for a GPU, but as the biggest contributor to performance, 1060 and up are great if you can budget.

Wifi card is fine if you need wifi. If you can use ethernet instead, then yeah, thats better, but many cant easily so thats fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Roccat Juke is kinda inexpensive (I have seen it under 15 dollars) and with that one gets away from buzzing and clicking of onboard audio and if using headset, motherboard audio is not really so great with those. It is bit better than onboard, not like usb dac of course, but for normal use it is nice with low footprint of drivers.
    USB headset could also be an option, speakers don't really work too well if other human beings live within or next to walls.

Defender has been CPU hog, at least last spring and before it became quite bad at that, AVG is according to tests quite ok with very low impact to performance, but UI etc is very buggy and it annoys you with popups etc.

I'm not sure what is cost of Corsair ram, G-Skill Trident Z CL13 3200Mhz or Kingston Hyper-X 2666Mhz are what I would look at too, CPU performance in BeamNG is somewhat helped with fast ram.

8600K and 1050Ti would be also changes I recommend.

Z390 motherboard would offer upgrade paths, overclocking and long life. I'm not really big fan of those other tier chipsets than Z variant and I would avoid Z370 boards like a plague, every manufacturer did skimp on vrm with those, except top tier models, with Z390 one can find much better boards with cheaper pricing than z370, H series chipset, I don't really know or want to know anything about.

7. AnIrishDerp

AnIrishDerp
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I’ll rework the build hopefully sometime today or tomorrow. You guys have been really helpful.
    --- Post updated ---
    I have to get a WiFi card since I don’t have a port for it in my room and I don’t have the money to get one made from the router downstairs to my room.
    --- Post updated ---
    The version of Windows 10 is the OEM 64 bit and I need to know how that’s installed.

8. BannedByAndroid

BannedByAndroid
    Expand Collapse

You could buy a code online (preferably from MS or a reputable third-party source), download it, and make a bootable USB for that. No need for a disc drive.
    --- Post updated ---
    Still, I saw some flaws. The SSD you picked is not good, and has barely enough space to install Windows 10, let alone storing files.
    Also, I have helped you built a even better one (without the OS, keyboard and mouse), sporting a Ryzen 5 and a RX 580.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7cx79J
    CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($145.00 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($108.63 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($57.98 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($42.99 @ Newegg Business)
    Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR MK2 OC Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ B&H)
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($70.12 @ B&H)
    Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link - Archer T6E AC1300 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($39.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $869.68 (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available)

#8 BannedByAndroid, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  9. AnIrishDerp

AnIrishDerp
    Expand Collapse

The version of Windows 10 is the OEM 64
    I appreciate it but I have my build at where I like it for the moment. I’m planning on using the optical drive for other things besides installing the OS and I prefer Intel over AMD for my processor but thanks for the warning on the SSD

10. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Ryzen has bit weaker single core than Intel and in BeamNG single core is what limits performance for most of the people, usually without them realizing it. However cost is also lot lower and if in future single core requirements get lower, then Ryzen 5 is really strong in BeamNG.

Also I would stay away from AMD GPU until they fix their drivers so that they work in BeamNG, currently it is black streaks all over the map with them.

It is kinda shame as those CPU and GPU would be really nice, but because of software one don't get to use them best possible way.

Best thing would be to wait until next spring for new CPUs to come, but waiting is not always possible.

11. John Beat

John Beat
    Expand Collapse

The drivers on the RX480 work great for me,
    And the guy building, If this is a mostly gaming oriented computer focus about a quarter of your budget on gpu a 1050ti in a 900$ build is truly not worth it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. AnIrishDerp

AnIrishDerp
    Expand Collapse

It’s the least I can get for my budget. I had it at $800 for my budget but got it to where it’s at now. And to be fair, the 1050 TI is still a pretty good GPU, Same for the 970 and 980. Plus, I’m just getting the PC in general and worrying about upgrades later.

13. BannedByAndroid

BannedByAndroid
    Expand Collapse

Trust me. If you got an OEM version of Windows, it would mostly don't work as well on your PC since they have some specific files for the specific computer for the company. Also there's no reason to own a DVD drive now since nothing is made for DVD these days.
    You'll be better off making a bootable Windows 10 USB drive and use that to install your OS.
    Also, as @John Beat said, don't get a GTX 1050 Ti on a $800 - 900 budget. A GTX 1060/RX 580 is a better buy.

#13 BannedByAndroid, Nov 24, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  14. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Funnily enough, my new printer came with DVD, so did GPU and MB, most of functionality can be downloaded of course, not sure if there are some that are only on DVD, years ago it was that way.

I'm lacking one sata power cable, when I did move, I did misplace my modular PSU cables, so I can't get my DVD to power right now and there are some situations where I could use it, however most definitely it is more worth to get 16GB USB key for 3 euros and live with that.

OEM is just a license, one can download windows media from microsoft and key defines if it will be pro or home. OEM is bound to bios of MB mostly then, can't transfer license to new one, which sucks, hence I got retail version of Win8 and can install it as many times I want to new builds. OEM DVDs can indeed contain tailored software and those might not even install if BIOS has not correct code.

1050Ti is bit weak for BeamNG, if intending to use full graphics quality and 1060 etc. has come down on price, so if difference is not big, definitely go for 1060.

Especially if saving from DVD can make 1060 possible, then go for that, but I think DVD burner is something like 15 euros (ASUS I got was something like that), so it is not big save with it.

Update: When building computer for BeamNG, I would focus single core CPU performance, BeamNG can run on weaker GPU just fine, but nothing really helps to weak single core. For typical other games etc. then cheaper CPU like Ryzen 5 and gtx1060 takes priority, but for beam, fast intel CPU and if needed bit slower GPU, that will work best and one can then upgrade GPU some year or two later while CPU still delivers many years to come.

CPU core count will increase in future, single core performance not so much, GPU performance most likely will keep increasing further, so right now it would be fast intel. Next summer, maybe something else.

#14 fufsgfen, Nov 24, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  15. John Beat

John Beat
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I do question though my computer has an fx8320 at 4.0Ghz and runs the game with 6 cars on screen extremely well so not sure how well single core performance will help if use use a software to dedicate multiple cores to a game, most games by default on oem windows require addtion permission to use multicore operations.

16. AnIrishDerp

AnIrishDerp
    Expand Collapse

On some clarifying notes, I’m not planning on running Beam on max graphics, maybe somewhere around normal or maybe high. I’m already stretching my budget as is at $903 and as I mentioned before, I’ll worry about upgrades later once I get the build itself done. And I would like to know on how to get a USB key for Windows 10 and if there’s a difference in performance between the USB and the OEM.

17. John Beat

John Beat
    Expand Collapse

Its difficult to explain I have a reinstallation DVD for Windows 10 that works well for laptop features but does not function properly on a traditional PC however if you go to your local best buy I'm sure nobody will question you trying different PC's to see what features of windows each computer has and they will also have 100% legal legitimate usb drives meant to install windows on multiple machines I use these for virtual machines that are often deleted just make sure you keep your product key handy when you need to use it.

18. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

60fps minimum, high graphics ssao on, dynamic reflections on, WCUSA industrial spawn, add few cars and it is just not possible, no matter what GPU is used, but it will get better.

19. John Beat

John Beat
    Expand Collapse

I have it on the highest settings avalible it runs around 45-50 fps doing the 6 cars depending on how complex and I havent tried it on wcusa sounds like it would be laggy tho.

20. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

100% false
    --- Post updated ---
    OEM means nothing. It's just a license version. You either have a retail license or an OEM license. OEM license keys are single use only and tied to the motherboard. Retail licenses can be multiple use (typically only single though) but can be transferred between machines. You can use OEM keys with CDs or with USB. You can use retail keys with CDs or with USB. You can get windows 10 and windows 10 pro OEM keys or retail keys.

No windows version really has a performance difference.

• Agree Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice